Rolling Thunder Forums

System Oddity?

Octus Imperium

As I was finalizing my turn, I realized I had a somewhat interesting SS result last turn. How often are folks finding Nexus systems where there is only one Warp Point? This is a two way WP, but it seems odd that a Nexus would be a blind alley. It could be a programming variant because all systems empty of planetoids are Nexi, or it could be intentional and suggest significant future WP discoveries. Any thoughts?

Octus

(Twiddling thumbs, waiting for Friday night.......) :alien2:

What are Nexus systems, anyway?

Systems without any planets. And I've run into several 'dead end' systems. My guess is that there are probably some undiscovered one way warps into the system. :alien2:

So far about 50% of the systems that I have explored have been Nexus (Nexi ??) systems.

According to my dictionary, the plural of Nexus is Nexus or Nexuses. And why are they called Nexus systems? Nexus means a connection.

Kevin

According to my dictionary, the plural of Nexus is Nexus or Nexuses.  And why are they called Nexus systems?  Nexus means a connection.

Kevin

Because that's all they're good for: connecting one place to another.

PS: The only dead end we've found has 2 WPs leading into it, but only one out. Still a kick-ass defensive position, though. Er... if we believed in war, we might be worried about that. But we don't, so never mind.

Here, have some mead and forget this whole conversation.

PS: The only dead end we've found has 2 WPs leading into it, but only one out. Still a kick-ass defensive position, though. Er... if we believed in war, we might be worried about that. But we don't, so never mind.

I have found at least 6 dead ends, and I'm not a prolific explorer after 34 cycles. And the Nexus in question did not come off a systems with large numbers of WPs. Oh, the infinite variety of the universe......

Octus

According to my dictionary, the plural of Nexus is Nexus or Nexuses.  And why are they called Nexus systems?  Nexus means a connection.

Kevin

I'm confused here (again :) ). If the system had 2 Warp Points leading into it and 1 leading out, how could it be a dead end?

Kevin

Kevin

I'm confused here (again :) ). If the system had 2 Warp Points leading into it and 1 leading out, how could it be a dead end?

Kevin

Well, I think they mean 'dead end' in the sense that it doesn't lead anywhere new, and the exit warp just heads back to the system that you came from, although this is not always the case. All systems have at least one exit point.