Rolling Thunder Forums

Ship Damage

Prospective

Hi all,

I know I've read about this in a couple of the "combat" posts out there, but want to start anew and have the information contained in one post. How exactly does damage work? If I get into a battle and I have ships remaining at the end of a battle (and a number of them are damaged), what can I do to repair them? I recall reading that they repair themselves, but how long does it take to go from one damage level to the next? Is there a way that it can be speeded up?

Also, what happens to the damaged components? Do they get destroyed and need to be replaced at a shipyard?

One thing I recall reading is that shields are superior to armor because shields that get knocked down regenerate in the very next battle. To me, that implies that armor is not regenerated, and some action must be taken. Does armor "burn away" as damage increases.

Lets say I have a ship that has 10,000tons of armor and it gets into a battle and ends up classified as damaged. Will some of that armor have been "consumed" as it gets destroyed, so that perhaps I'll only have 5,000 tons left over at the end?

Thanks.

Hopefully the naval combat primer will answer these questions once and for all but that remains to be seen. As for what has been said on damage so far is that it is stored from what I've understand %wise on a ship, ie when a ship takes damage that doesn't destroy it then the damage is compared to the tonnage to give a % damaged level which probably then acts as a negative % to ship functions, damage is thus not listed per system on a ship but rather as a whole which is given a negative. Thus a 100 000 ton ship with say 500000 total integrity taking 50000 points of damage would be 10% impaired in its functions...this is speculation of course

Force Shields negate damage from being dealt to the ship, but a finite amount ie Mk X Force Shields would stop 120000 damage from getting through to the ship but once it has stopped that damage then it stops no more for that battle...

Armor as I understand it simply ensures the survival of your ship by adding huge amounts of integrity to it, thus there is no such thing as actually having things bounce off your armor and leaving you undamaged, you ALWAYS take some damage even if it is small. The problem has been with the damage reporting system that hasn't always been reliable in actually telling you that a ship is damaged nor is there any way to know how much it is damaged and how great a effect that has, all things we hope Pete is working on.

Pete has said that ships slowly repair themselves over time but has said he was unhappy with the routine for it thus enabled the repair function at shipyards and said a year ago that he would put in Repair Bays into the game to quicken repairs but that seems to have dropped off the radar.

You can repair your ship at the shipyards or scrap em for full return ie, the ship is scrapped into fully functioning parts.

All this is pure speculation on my part though as I've yet to see the rules or gamesystem reports that confirm my theories :drunk:

:cheers:

Locklyn

No no...didn't pete add a feature to either the ship or scrap order where you added the line REPAIR or such and the ship would be repaired? We really need an updated orders manual, and rule book and naval combat document and....

/Locklyn

No no...didn't pete add a feature to either the ship or scrap order where you added the line REPAIR or such and the ship would be repaired? We really need an updated orders manual, and rule book and naval combat document and....

/Locklyn

If we remember aright, and we've never tried it, what you do is SCRP a negative number of ships equal to the |mod| of the number you want repaired. This retains the morale and experience, we think.

Chief Planner to Ur-Lord Tedric

If we remember aright, and we've never tried it, what you do is SCRP a negative number of ships equal to the |mod| of the number you want repaired.  This retains the morale and experience, we think.

Chief Planner to Ur-Lord Tedric

Ah, now that you mention it, we do remember something about SCRPing a negative number...

Fortunately *knock on paper* we haven't been damaged by any stray meteors yet. We're sure it's only a matter of time, however. The Tckon must have left these defenses on our world for something.

Of course, that's not to say that we don't enjoy the posturings of the 501st Traditional

Ceremonial Parade Corps... we just don't know what they're for.

Precisely as the Ur-Lord saíd you SCRP a negative number, we've yet to be able to use that since our combat fleets are so far from the home world our the major colonial shipyards but the intent is that experience and morale should be retained, now noone knows what morale and experience does but everyone assumes it is a good thing :ranting:

/Locklyn

I've seen units that have survived several non-trivial battles and that have existed for many turns but still show as green/timid. So I do not believe that the experience/morale system works as most would expect.