Rolling Thunder Forums

Newbie Question

Roguekitty

So I'm fairly new to the game, getting my race out into the galaxy and exploring, researching fun new technology, etc, etc. All this seems to result in an AWFUL lot of data. System scans, planet maps, geological surveys, colonial attrition survey, ANZ's on new technology with information on build costs, etc, etc, etc. I often find myself, in the course of doing my turn, having to refer back to many of my previous turn reports to check just which planet it was that was amenable to my particular brand of life, and where had the good resource yields, and just what the heck did that newfangled jump drive need to build anyways? And I can only imagine it's going to get worse as time goes by.

So my question to you more experienced types is this... how the HECK do you efficiently keep track of all this?

Roguekitty,

Take a look at some of the older posts from Cestvel regarding Graphviz and SNFindPath. His SNFindPath creation is very useful.

Do a search for Phasedragon's spreadsheets. His tools no longer work due to turn layout upgrades and pdf upgrades. However they may provide an idea of what information you want to track and how to store data such as tech requirements.

To date, Cestvel (search his posts) is the only known player who has a tool that sorts data from pdf files and puts it into a format. Doesn't work on windows, and he has answered the questions about it in his previous posts.

Good luck,

Lord Uriel

Roguekitty,

Take a look at some of the older posts from Cestvel regarding Graphviz and SNFindPath. His SNFindPath creation is very useful.

Do a search for Phasedragon's spreadsheets. His tools no longer work due to turn layout upgrades and pdf upgrades. However they may provide an idea of what information you want to track and how to store data such as tech requirements.

To date, Cestvel (search his posts) is the only known player who has a tool that sorts data from pdf files and puts it into a format. Doesn't work on windows, and he has answered the questions about it in his previous posts.

Good luck,

Lord Uriel

LU, what do you mean that SNFindPath does not work on Windows? I use it all of the time and I run Vista.

RK

There are also some play aids on the RTG website. Managing production correctly is one of the more difficult tasks for a new player and one of those spreadsheets can also help.

:cheers:

Database, Spreadsheets, perl, webserver, GraphViz, SNFindPath.

... ninjas, wizards, ninja-wizards ... :cheers:

In all seriousness, if you are spreadsheet savvy, the Rolling Thunder website has some pretty good starter spreadsheets. Cestvel's SNFindPath program is great when you have done a lot of exploring and are bad at mapping (as I am).

Plus, there are plenty of folks on the boards who will help you out. If you e-mail me through the board link, I can send you a "suite" of spreadsheets developed by a fellow SN:ROTE player that you might helpful or, at a minimum, inspirational for your own designs. (They are in Excel workbook formats, so you'll need MS Excel, Open Office, or Google Spreadsheets & Docs to use them.)

Good Luck!

-SK :P

Roguekitty,

Good luck,

Lord Uriel

LU, what do you mean that SNFindPath does not work on Windows? I use it all of the time and I run Vista.

Ali,

I was refering to his empire management program designed to work linux OS.

Roguekitty,

Good luck,

Lord Uriel

Ali,

More like a bunch of perl(-cgi) scripts.

They work for me, but may be difficult to set up on other boxes.

BTW, the buildqueue perl script I posted a link about had a bug. I see to it, that I update it in short time.

Roguekitty,

Good luck,

Lord Uriel

Ali,

Thanks.

RK

Oh, so YOU'RE the bloke who runs Vista. I'd heard there was someone. :cheers:

I am. I had no choiuce when my old PC died a sudden death last year and I could not wiat for Delol to ship me a box. Fortunately I had the machine backed up.

Soon mnore of you will join me on the Dark Side. :P

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I've started work on a spreadsheet of my own, based on some of the examples I've seen. It should hopefully do alot of the work I need done. Still need to try and get some sort of map worked out. I downloaded GraphViz but haven't had time to really look at it much. Doesn't look terribly intuitive!

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I've started work on a spreadsheet of my own, based on some of the examples I've seen. It should hopefully do alot of the work I need done. Still need to try and get some sort of map worked out. I downloaded GraphViz but haven't had time to really look at it much. Doesn't look terribly intuitive!

SNFindPath has an export function for GraphViz, which could make your life easier with it.

At least it can give you a start-point.

I'm surprised the box turns on.....

Oh, ye of little faith, of course it does. Having a quad core processor helps. :D

I was impressed you had backed up the box. I assume within a reasonable time of self destruction....

Suggestion for tonight? For those of you haven't backed up your box recently, like me, perhaps that's what we should do between runs to check the inbox for turns.

And of course, mead consumption comes before backups.

Octus

I'm surprised the box turns on.....

Oh, ye of little faith, of course it does. Having a quad core processor helps. :D

I was impressed you had backed up the box. I assume within a reasonable time of self destruction....

Suggestion for tonight? For those of you haven't backed up your box recently, like me, perhaps that's what we should do between runs to check the inbox for turns.

And of course, mead consumption comes before backups.

Octus

USB memory sticks. Holds all of my critical files including SNROTE results of course. :D