Rolling Thunder Forums

ICE for your planets?

For those of you who care to share. Or provide disinformation. A couple things about ICE.

1. What happens if you try to ICE asteroids? WIth a mass of 1, what might happen (see below)?

2. Any insights about the potential affect of planetary mass on ICE use? Any thoughts on relationship with ICE level? May be completely irrelevant, but perhaps not?

3. What is the optimal ICE amount? And how may it vary based on ICE tech level?

4. Any ICEd Gas Giants out there? A little ICE with your fusion reactions any1?

Octus (avoiding work, awaiting turn results, can you dig?)

For those of you who care to share. Or provide disinformation. A couple things about ICE.

1. What happens if you try to ICE asteroids? WIth a mass of 1, what might happen (see below)?

2. Any insights about the potential affect of planetary mass on ICE use? Any thoughts on relationship with ICE level? May be completely irrelevant, but perhaps not?

3. What is the optimal ICE amount? And how may it vary based on ICE tech level?

4. Any ICEd Gas Giants out there? A little ICE with your fusion reactions any1?

Octus (avoiding work, awaiting turn results, can you dig?)

You can ICE asteoids and Gas Giants with no problems. For example, I have a Gas Giant I ICE'd when playing around and testing ICE. It now has Gaseous of around 2700, Geothermal around 2800, Industrial of around 4000, Rare elements around 2500, and Radioactive around 2300. I can't remember the ICE amount used. So I can't remember the the return rate on ICE-1,2,3, or 4 (IE how many ICE go into 1 increase in resource value on average). Personnally, if I wanted to ICE something, I'd just use a really big damn amount. 10 Million or more if possible. The more the better.

Mass is not impacted that I can see.

And do some searches for ICE-2 or ICE-1 or such on the boards. There are some old threads that have the details, I think.

Just pop a colony on that gas giant , and go crazy mining those rare elements for the next large ICE experiment....of course , as long as your super colonizer is able to colonize the place . What , you did not design your race to be able to colonize the most awful of conditions ? Tsk , tsk , shame on you!!!! Not giving your critters those good genes and all of those super critter abilities......

Just pop a colony on that gas giant , and go crazy mining those rare elements for the next large ICE experiment....of course , as long as your super colonizer is able to colonize the place . What , you did not design your race to be able to colonize the most awful of conditions ? Tsk , tsk , shame on you!!!! Not giving your critters those good genes and all of those super critter abilities......

Or you could start out on a homeworld with 4.8 G. In which case, Gas Giants are just like home, except for the searing hot gases and high temperatures. Domed Cities easily take care of the of the Atmosphere problems. After which you can settle on such worlds quite nicely even if you're not a super colonizer and in spite of the temperature difference. Other tech advances like the Deep Core Heatsink can also do wonders. And the additive nature of colony bonuses means building places like Colonial Training Centers, Pollution Processer, Microbiotic Decontamination Centers, and even plain old cities, all lend bonuses into your survival (even if they do not directly impact the big negative hurting). You can even build Subterranian Cities on the Gas Giant for more bonuses, if you like.

Oh sure the right genes or genetic advances can help make it easier to colonize, and, they can add some nice combat bonuses to boot. But you may be surprised to find some folks can colonize the Gas Giants (or asteriods) far more easily then you expected.