Rolling Thunder Forums

Gas Giants as homeworlds?

Sakarissa

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My world's at 83 K. Naturally, I have low temp resistance too. :) May have wasted some points there.

My first thought was that if Kahless came by for a friendly drink, we'd have some interesting statuary ... once he quit melting through the ice anyway.

Then I realized that one exhaled Ionized Metal breath into my hydrogen atmosphere might warm things up rather abruptly. :laugh:

Then I realized that one exhaled Ionized Metal breath into my hydrogen atmosphere might warm things up rather abruptly.

Add some Oxygen and a spark to your atmosphere and some real excitement would ensue as well as a large quantity of water vapor. (On my planet you get carbon dioxide and water in the presence of oxygen.) :laugh:

Add some Oxygen and a spark to your atmosphere and some real excitement would ensue as well as a large quantity of water vapor. (On my planet you get carbon dioxide and water in the presence of oxygen.)  :laugh:

Yeah, Chemistry isn't my strong suite. Without oxygen there wouldn't be much to worry about. I think oxygen on my world would be in solid form, so I'd be more or less OK. Though a crystal oxygen forest fire might be an interesting sight!

Yeah, Chemistry isn't my strong suite. Without oxygen there wouldn't be much to worry about. I think oxygen on my world would be in solid form, so I'd be more or less OK. Though a crystal oxygen forest fire might be an interesting sight!

Liquid O2 is still reactive so it would still be interesting. The Ionized Metals would form hydrides. I don't know if it would explode but it could get hot. I used to know how to figure these things out but due to a lack of practice ... :laugh:

I have found that different parts of the universe have different norms. Fortunatley my colonizers who started at 57 K have found over 75% of planets and moons to also be rather cold. The % goes up even more if you don't count gas giants.

If I had started with a temp of 300+ I would have been in much worse shape.

:laugh:

:laugh: Still trying to decide if I want to keep this set-up. Have a question and have e-mailed once to Russ and once to Pete, no answer from either one!!

The temp. in the HW is 494 Kelvin. I am curious how the HW temp. and the normal (if there is such a thing)temp. of most worlds will affect colonization.

Kahless :)

From what I have seen, its hard to tell just how good your setup is without spending 10 or 20 turns doing exploration. I know, I felt like when I started that I had a below-average starting situation, but I've come to appreciate just how lucky I was.

My guess is that while some setups will be better than others, and easier to prosper at than others, each is perfectly playable. You could try again and hope for something better, but the setup you have has one thing that no other position will ever have...

An additional turn of development.

In other words, the clock is ticking. You can move forward with this setup, or take another chance and be a turn behind. If that setup isn't any better, then you will be in the same predicament, but now face being two turns behind.

Personally, honestly, I would just make the best of it. You just might be surprised at how lucky you were.

Best wishes,

Tom

You won't be able to colonize much of anything so if that was your game plan you had better roll again. On the other hand if you weren't planning on being a colonizer then you could be ok.

It all depends....

The biggest killer to colonization is temperature and the installations that moderate temperature will only raise or lower things by 30 degrees or so.

You may well have a diamond in the rough, but from what you have said about it I would pitch it and try again.

That's just me though....

:laugh:

You won't be able to colonize much of anything so if that was your game plan you had better roll again.  On the other hand if you weren't planning on being a colonizer then you could be ok. 

It all depends....

The biggest killer to colonization is temperature and the installations that moderate temperature will only raise or lower things by 30 degrees or so.

You may well have a diamond in the rough, but from what you have said about it I would pitch it and try again.

That's just me though....

:thumbsup:

Interesting. With a modest colonization racial bonus from set up, gravity near 4 and temp in the 130 range, my biggest colonization headaches have been gravity. Once domed cities arrived, atmosphere has been a minor issue many cases. Temp has not been a problem, but then I am finding many worlds 50 to 175 K.

Probably highly dependent on luck of the draw as far as neighboring systems/worlds. My only regret is not nudging up the setup colonization abilities tad. But I do like procreating at the 650 level with no installation enhancements! ;)

Octus Imperium

:thumbsup: It seems to me that with a HW with a 494K temp., and being able to only adjust this with cities, domed cities, sub. cities and with an approximate 50 degree comfort zone, I would still be looking to find worlds with a temp. of approx. 350K. I have not seen very many of these. ;) Not too mention the atmosphere.

I have therefore dropped this set-up, and will try again. Thanks for your comments, now, where is my BLOODWINE? What? Well open that next keg. :cheers:

Kahless :taz:

Make sure you point out your concerns, and any plans for how you want to play the race, to Pete when putting in the set-up. He may (so I've heard) tweak HW stats, before he send the start-up to you, so it better fits with your intent.

IN addition, he has been known to change the name of the Star (as long as it is not used elsewhere in the universe) on request as well. I haven't heard of any adjustments to planetary position or planets in the system. But this points out, if you want to do something, ask. Maybe it will be allowed as it does not impact the game. Maybe not. It doesn't hurt to ask. And, Pete and Russ will be fair in how they respond.

It doesn't hurt to ask. And, Pete and Russ will be fair in how they respond.

Absolutely true, my setup indicated a solar flare zone that would reach out and incorporate my HW. Imagine, build a ship and get zapped! anyway, I asked and Pete removed it for me. :taz:

Which of course makes sense as my people would be continually getting fried.... :thumbsup:;)

It doesn't hurt to ask. And, Pete and Russ will be fair in how they respond.

Absolutely true, my setup indicated a solar flare zone that would reach out and incorporate my HW. Imagine, build a ship and get zapped! anyway, I asked and Pete removed it for me. :taz:

Which of course makes sense as my people would be continually getting fried.... :thumbsup:;)

I wonder what the chances of a flare are. Hopefully remote enough to allow me to investigate a world I located in a Solar Flare zone. Imagine if you will, an Oxygen atmosphere Terrestrial world, 0.1 AU from a star (Red 4 V Single), that has a Solar Flare zone extending out to 0.4 AU. And, three atmosphered moons to boot (Chlorine, Ammonia, Ammonia). Pmapped to 343 K (70 C, 158 F), with Water based oceans, 32 degree tilt, and 1.6 G (no Natives). Is this just a game error, just a random planet placement that doesn't make sense? Or is there something special about a world that doesn't have it's atmosphere blasted into space when placed into the furnace of flares?