Rolling Thunder Forums

More CIDS questions

Prospective

Not as high?

That would make sense as the CIDS are "Close In" Defensive systems so each would add to the fleet coverage due to interlocking fields of fire but would be less effective due to the range needed to cover the whole fleet as well as not firing on ones own ships while hunting down fighters and missles.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not as high?

That would make sense as the CIDS are "Close In" Defensive systems so each would add to the fleet coverage due to interlocking fields of fire but would be less effective due to the range needed to cover the whole fleet as well as not firing on ones own ships while hunting down fighters and missles.

If I had to guess- Pete likes distributions (akin to the Deployment Location system)

I imagine the umbrella coverage is distributed in a VERY similar manner: a Gaussian distribution with the 'optimal' location having a much stronger % of coverage - in this case - the actual ship carrying the CIDS.

We cna hope for more detailed disclosure...but IMHO I'm not losing any sleep over not knowing the EXACT distribution of CIDS systems in a fleet...as long as I have a general sense of how effective a certain TYPE of CIDS is against a certain TYPE of Drone/Fighter. (Ratios!)

It hurts my brain less when I think of CIDS as being analogous to WWII naval AA batteries.

On a Fleet level - each ships CIDS batteries form an interlaced defensive bubble of protection. It's less about targetting and more about throwing out explosive obstacles that Fighters & Drones have to navigate around. The thicker the obstacle course, the more you'll attrit incoming Fighters & Drones.

At the Ship level - it's the density of the batteries versus the size of the ship that will determine how effectively the ship is protected by the CIDS. The greater the percentage of CIDS tonnage to overall ship tonnage, the better your CIDS protection will be. (Of course, this assumes parity between Drone/Fighter ratings and CIDS ratings - Superior Drones vs. Fair CIDS is not going to help matters. :ranting: )

The thing to remember isn't that your CIDS have a lower rating at the Fleet level. It's that your CIDS provide Fleet level protection as well as individual Ship protection unlike your Shields and Armor. :)

-SK :blink: