Rolling Thunder Forums

Finding out the average exploration rate.

Aquilonia

How many systems did you explore so far?  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maps!? Those are for wusses :=) Nah, not really, just haven't gotten a chance to make a map of all those hundreds of systems which would really help <_<

Locklyn

That is why I adopted Excel. Everything fits on a single page, albeit there is the chore of scrolling around to find what you are looking for.

I've also adopted Excel, of course, the CTRL-F comes in handy when looking for those systems! <_<

That is why I adopted Excel. Everything fits on a single page, albeit there is the chore of scrolling around to find what you are looking for.

I've also adopted Excel, of course, the CTRL-F comes in handy when looking for those systems! <_<

You may have just sold me on Excel (CTRL-F). Finding systems is getting more difficult. Looks like some quality time this weekend with Excel....

I use graphs generated by graphviz (at no cost from at&t), which look (on a simple empire) like:

4975.png

Cestvel

I'd played with this about a month ago on a work related project for about 30 minutes. Seemed cool. When I saw your post I had to give it a second try.

It takes a little technical skill, but I've got a beautiful map now. I particularly like the fact that you simply enter your systems and warp points and let dotty do the layout for you. When you add a new system you don't need to worry about re-organizing everything to fit!

As far as I can tell though the only way to find a system on the resulting graph is by using the ol' eyeball. How easy/difficult is the map to navigate for very large empires?

Hmmm, I just realized that using graphviz with a large empire is going to be a snap.

You can do a text search through the dot file, move the system's decription to the first node position in the file, save, and let dotty re-generate the graph. Viola! The system you're searching for is at the top of the graph with all of the other nodes drawn in relation to it!

Awesome!

The only down side is it's a horribly non-intuitive interface. Not for the faint of heart! Uses an old UNIX style interface, even in the Windows version!

Sadly, the CTRL-F only works if the data is in a cell. My data is embedded in the flowchart shapes. I understand there is a way to link these objects to cells, but I have yet to figure it out

All of my data are in cells. Also have nice little 'comments' for each system and WP so when my 'cursor' lands on the system, more info pops up to tell me what is going on. :cheers:

I'd played with this about a month ago on a work related project for about 30 minutes. Seemed cool. When I saw your post I had to give it a second try.

It takes a little technical skill, but I've got a beautiful map now. I particularly like the fact that you simply enter your systems and warp points and let dotty do the layout for you. When you add a new system you don't need to worry about re-organizing everything to fit!

As far as I can tell though the only way to find a system on the resulting graph is by using the ol' eyeball. How easy/difficult is the map to navigate for very large empires?

I have all my data in a Database and use two ways to find my data.

I used the cmap feature of dotty to get HTML-maps, so you can click on a system to get its data in a browser. Second I have a cgi, which lists me all the systems, or a specific system and so finding is quite easy.

I have recently some layout problems though, as a system on the "right hand side" of the graph gets connected to a systems on the "left hand side" but I hope that clears up a bit, if I have explored the the unexplored WPs.

And for finding routes between Systems, I use a pathfinding program.

Cestvel

Hmmm, I just realized that using graphviz with a large empire is going to be a snap.

You can do a text search through the dot file, move the system's decription to the first node position in the file, save, and let dotty re-generate the graph. Viola! The system you're searching for is at the top of the graph with all of the other nodes drawn in relation to it!

Awesome!

The only down side is it's a horribly non-intuitive interface. Not for the faint of heart! Uses an old UNIX style interface, even in the Windows version!

That is the need thing, I have scipted the whole process :-)

But on a Linux box ...

Cestvel

I have all my data in a Database and use two ways to find my data.

I used the cmap feature of dotty to get HTML-maps, so you can click on a system to get its data in a browser. Second I have a cgi, which lists me all the systems, or a specific system and so finding is quite easy.

And for finding routes between Systems, I use a pathfinding program.

Sounds like you have a nice setup. What you've described seems relatively straight forward. What pathfinding program do you use?

That is the need thing, I have scipted the whole process :-)

But on a Linux box ...

I'm a cross-platform C++ programmer so I get my share of Linux too. I have a Linux box here, though its pretty underutilized. For this game I've created a SQL Server database and intend to use C# and ADO.NET for my interfaces. My primary purpose was to explore those technologies while I had fun with the game. Unfortunately I've been working 60 and 70 hour weeks for several months now. Its been tough enough to get my turns cranked out, much less code when I get home. My hours have returned to normal, but I'm still pretty burnt out. I hope to get started again soon.