Rolling Thunder Forums

Installations

If you still have pathfinders in your shipyards then you are new enough that they are pretty useful. I used starting pathfinders for the first 3 years without a problem and have gotten several a long ways from home before leaving them to guard a WP. Others may think they are a poor design but early on they are great for what they do.

Starting tech is so poor that you can't really build anything better so to me there seems little point to scrapping them. I would just add a few more shipyard slips so they can all be finished on your next turn.

:woohoo:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 Mk III Jump Survey Sensor + 1 level 6 explorer = H class surv capability. That combo will pop anything up to an H point with no problems. I haven't tried it against an I point but I haven't found one yet.

Sakarissa :woohoo:

The Circle

You must have seriously good Rangers then to do that with a single Mk III. It takes me 8 Mk IV JSS with a Ranger to do the same (5 x Mk V and just about anyone including the local town drunk as a navigator seem to work fine with anything up to and including the I WPs, although I will admit I didn't bother experimenting with minimums once the V's became available) --- unless you are talking about adding ground installations into the calculation, but even that and a senior scientist on board as well only tops out at a G WP.

1 Mk III Jump Survey Sensor + 1 level 6 explorer = H class surv capability. That combo will pop anything up to an H point with no problems. I haven't tried it against an I point but I haven't found one yet.

Sakarissa :woohoo:

The Circle

You must have seriously good Rangers then to do that with a single Mk III. It takes me 8 Mk IV JSS with a Ranger to do the same (5 x Mk V and just about anyone including the local town drunk as a navigator seem to work fine with anything up to and including the I WPs, although I will admit I didn't bother experimenting with minimums once the V's became available) --- unless you are talking about adding ground installations into the calculation, but even that and a senior scientist on board as well only tops out at a G WP.

Could it be, that you have negatives in EXP and Sakarissa has positives?

1 Mk III with a level 6 Explorer sounds reasonable, as Mk IV JSS + level 6 explorer has definitely no problem cracking G's and H's.

That is with a slight positive in EXP.

Must be that my scientists were working on other things - still, it goes to show that there's more to cracking the WPs than just the JSS and EXPLORER levels, doesn't it! Oddly enough, I had similar problems with my other races (with different stats) - just 'lucky' I guess.