Rolling Thunder Forums

Convoy Routes

Hughestrog

Hughestrog, the main problem is that Convoy RN can only bring ships into the convoy.

I have been working on a solution to a similar problem as the one you describe, unfortuantly it hasn't been tested in practice yet :ninja: .

First of you need a holding fleet for your shipyards to place the newly built ships into. Your convoy will now be able take any ships that are waiting in your holding fleet and ship them of to your junction system.

Once your convoy has arrived at your junction, you will need to get those ships out of the convoy. The problem with this is that as mention before RN in convoys can't place the ship into another fleet :laugh: . A second convoy can however take the ships from a fleet in the convoy, you will however have the slight problem of needing a RN order for each 24 ships per fleet, since the RN order dosn't have an exclude option like the OC and LC orders :D .

So with a little bit of calculating and a lot of orders you can set up a nice group of convoys which will quickly wisk those brand new battleships out to the fronters with very few orders required once its been set up. :pirate2:

Sir Smeg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hughestrog, the main problem is that Convoy RN can only bring ships into the convoy.

So with a little bit of calculating and a lot of orders you can set up a nice group of convoys which will quickly wisk those brand new battleships out to the fronters with very few orders required once its been set up.  :laugh:

Sir Smeg

Thanks. I was hoping it would work as I'd wished, but obviously it won't :ninja: . I was thinking of colony ships rather than battle ships though.

One other options is that you can have a new convoy route assignement as an order on another convoy route.  So your fleet gets to where ever it ends and the last order is to CONV new route.  The fleet is then assigned to a new convoy route and will start that route on the next turn.

:laugh:  :D

Which is nice if you have a clean "daisy-chain" of convoy routes ...

If you really want to get "fancy" or hurt your brain, you can set up your Convoy Routes like an airline company sets up flights. You have routes that go to and from "hub" systems and you just redirect your fleets from hub route to hub route.

-SK :ninja:

One other options is that you can have a new convoy route assignement as an order on another convoy route.  So your fleet gets to where ever it ends and the last order is to CONV new route.  The fleet is then assigned to a new convoy route and will start that route on the next turn.

If you really want to get "fancy" or hurt your brain, you can set up your Convoy Routes like an airline company sets up flights. You have routes that go to and from "hub" systems and you just redirect your fleets from hub route to hub route.

I have been thinking of doing something similar to this as I am establishing a trade colony several systems away from my HW and since there may be changes in teh items traded from time to time I have been considering setting up one convoy route for the outbound leg and one for the inbound leg so that I can direct my fleets to load the items that I want that time.

My current trade routes are all loops so I was wondering if anyone had any experience using Convoy Routes this way.

I find convoy routes that specify a type of cargo to be very limiting. I started out that way, but have now gone back and changed almost every one or just replaced it with a new one.

I find it much easier to set up another pop group expressly for trade and then just transfer all the stuff you want to go into that pop group. It acts like a warehouse for your stuff.

I even have several of these on the same planet to service different trade partners/routes.

:ninja:

I find convoy routes that specify a type of cargo to be very limiting.  I started out that way, but have now gone back and changed almost every one or just replaced it with a new one.

I find it much easier to set up another pop group expressly for trade and then just transfer all the stuff you want to go into that pop group.  It acts like a warehouse for your stuff.

I even have several of these on the same planet to service different trade partners/routes.

That's what I was thinking as well. I wanted to have some way to make sure that I picked up the stuff I wanted to pick up without having lots of global excludes. With most of my colonies I have it set up to exclude certain items like Construction Materials but in this case I am not picking up basic materials as I am with most of my colonies.

Thanks for the thought. I will look into setting up a separate pop group.

Your comments immediately made me think of linear programing. While the classic example of it's use is optimizing dog food production (ain't that exciting!), airlines and others use it for complex logistics. And I seem to recall some free or shareware LP applications out there, including one they gave us in B-school. Will have to think about this more. Any LP experts out there? Other thoughts?

Octus Imperium

(And also experienced the standing orders tagged on to convoy route while trying to save an order....)

When you leave a convoy route creation order open ended you get loads of garbage tagged onto the convoy route. This is especially true if you created the route in the middle of your turn. The only real fix, and one I have used several times, is to contact Pete and let him know which orders to delete from your convoy route. My last disaster had a convoy route of 60 orders where it was supposed to have 4. Pete just deletes the incorrect orders. The rest of your turn failure is pretty much beyond repair.

On the upside, only orders that are convoy eligible are effected so any NUD's, BI, EB, and such still work properly.

Octus Imperium

(And also experienced the standing orders tagged on to convoy route while trying to save an order....)

Octus, how did you resolve this issue?

See Hobknob's reply about talking with Pete. I was not happy with the route after I set it up so I just deleted it and started over. Waste of orders, but it wasn't the first or last time...

Octus

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't make any difference what you do prior to the convoy route execution. During the convoy route phase a fleet will try and complete a convoy route it is assigned to. If it can't then it just sits. If the fleet can run the convoy route it will do so until all AP's are exhausted.

;)