Rolling Thunder Forums

Signing Off

MadMartinB

I was part of a group email that indicated that he might drop.  Not sure how or why I got it, or why I was on the list.  I took a chance and asked him why.  He indicated some of the same reasons why I toy with the idea of dropping from time to time.  Granted it might not be the real reason, but the ones he gave seemed pretty mundane.

Now, can someone tell me if he was the Bloody Fist tguy talking about propehcies?  If it was and he's gone I'm going to be very disappointed.  I really enjoyed those posts.

Lord Uriel - Thank you for the reply, but could you perhaps forward me the specific e-mail where he answered your question then? Maybe I am being dense, but no one has actually answered my question - why did MMB quit? I'll understand if you think the answer may be inflammatory, but your answer indicated that MMB's reasons were rather mundane, if that's the case what would be the harm in posting them?

Thanks,

-SK :cheers:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be a trick. My fear is that he knew something about the game that we do not ... rats and a sinking ship ... and all that. I doubt that I am the only one who has this concern. So I was just curious as to MMB's stated reasons because his lack of vociferousness on this, or any, matter is somewhat out of character for him.

FWIW,

-SK :cheers:

My personal theory is that since he's gotten his *%# handed to him in several combats with almost all of his known empires he's decided to take himself off the radar and recoup some of his losses, that most of his PA buddies are either dropping or geting wasted doesn't help either. As for the game theory, who knows, with Pete not answering anything on the boards for almost three weeks and no replies to emails either people get both tired and worried, hopefully he's working hard at the naval combat document.

I think MMB will be back though :cheers:

:ranting:

/Locklyn

ShadowKitsune,

As much as I would like to, simply to clear up any issues regarding his decision, I can't. It was sent as a private correspondence.

The email I sent first explained that I was not seeking any advantages, didn't want his map, etc. I then related that I have been toying with the idea for a year now, and gave my reasons why, which I assure you are mostly, mundane. I am looking for a house and this game is getting pretty costly, and time is almost always an issue at this juncture in my life.

I asked him why he was dropping because I wanted the opinion of a player that has been in since turn 0 and was dropping. I shudder when I think about how much money I have spent on this game for the results that I have.

Anyways, to relate the spirit of the email, which was short, it boiled down to time constraints, real world issues, and concerns on issues of the game, implying game mechanics.

Can anyone deny that these are pretty much mundane?

Please note that I'm not defending the player, I just don't have have a reason to be angry with him for dropping.

Lord Uriel

From the correspondence I've received and having met Martin face-to-face, I think it is far more plausible to belive he left for the reasons he stated about the game mechanics rather than an attempt to avoid a fight. (But then again - its the first I've heard of a major campaign of successes against his positions!)

SNROTE, and its many plausible interpretations of the rules (whereby people operate on particular assumptions about the rules...or in the extremely rare instance of operating in changing or bugged rulesets), is not for everyone.

I think Martin is sincere in his departure...but we can never know :cheers:

It surely says something if the game community keeps a player around in spirit after their actual departure. :P

From the correspondence I've received and having met Martin face-to-face, I think it is far more plausible to belive he left for the reasons he stated about the game mechanics rather than an attempt to avoid a fight.   (But then again - its the first I've heard of a major campaign of successes against his positions!)

SNROTE, and its many plausible interpretations of the rules (whereby people operate on particular assumptions about the rules...or in the extremely rare instance of operating in changing or bugged rulesets), is not for everyone.

It surely says something if the game community keeps a player around in spirit after their actual departure.   :P

Martin has been trading emails and talking about leaving since about ... oh .. sometime last October. He has definately become disillusioned about the game. I won't go into the details from all of his mails and messages over the last 7-8 months. I think I took his talk seriously back in January (when we started talking about my taking over one of his positions (The Colony) if/when he dropped). Yes, something about the game did get to him, and sapped the joy out of playing. And it's been eating at him to either drop or keep playing for quite some time.

Not the best move to be picking up the Colony or the Eyre. They are both candidates for xenocide last I checked.

From the correspondence I've received and having met Martin face-to-face, I think it is far more plausible to belive he left for the reasons he stated about the game mechanics rather than an attempt to avoid a fight.   (But then again - its the first I've heard of a major campaign of successes against his positions!)

It surely says something if the game community keeps a player around in spirit after their actual departure.   :P

Martin has been trading emails and talking about leaving since about ... oh .. sometime last October. He has definately become disillusioned about the game. I won't go into the details from all of his mails and messages over the last 7-8 months. I think I took his talk seriously back in January (when we started talking about my taking over one of his positions (The Colony) if/when he dropped). Yes, something about the game did get to him, and sapped the joy out of playing. And it's been eating at him to either drop or keep playing for quite some time.

ShadowKitsune,

As much as I would like to, simply to clear up any issues regarding his decision, I can't.  It was sent as a private correspondence.

The email I sent first explained that I was not seeking any advantages, didn't want his map, etc.  I then related that I have been toying with the idea for a year now, and gave my reasons why, which I assure you are mostly, mundane.  I am looking for a house and this game is getting pretty costly, and time is almost always an issue at this juncture in my life. 

I asked him why he was dropping because I wanted the opinion of a player that has been in since turn 0 and was dropping.  I shudder when I think about how much money I have spent on this game for the results that I have. 

Anyways, to relate the spirit of the email, which was short, it boiled down to time constraints, real world issues, and concerns on issues of the game, implying game mechanics.

Can anyone deny that these are pretty much mundane?

Please note that I'm not defending the player, I just don't have have a reason to be angry with him for dropping.

Lord Uriel

Thanks Uriel, I appreciate the answer. :D

QUOTE(EternusIV @ May 16 2005, 01:35 PM)

It surely says something if the game community keeps a player around in spirit after their actual departure. 

The question is: what does it say? 

Maybe someday we can scare our children with stories of the great galactic Boogey man, MMB?????? :cheers::drunk::cheers::angry::cheers:

The Eyre and The Colony are on my hit list, I don't care who is running them.

Nothing personal.

The Rathe

Note to self: Adjust name to "The Resort" in all emails and other references and deny all existance of a race called "The Colony".

Invest heavily in genetic and species engineering to change the apperance of the race as fake mustaches will not cut it. :cheers: ==> :angry:

Place recorded messages on all System Beacons that "The Colony has moved and left no forwarding address".

Invest heavily in Construction Materials and build really big paintings to cover the planet and make it look like it's not there from any WP.

:cheers: