Rolling Thunder Forums

is moderate really moderate ?

rotor911

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the question remains. If your race has significant colonization modifiers, positive or negative, would you be able to see their effects reflected in a 'CSV popgroup' vs.  a 'CSV 0'?

No ...

CSV [0] assumes your Lifeform is the one colonizing the planetary body, as does CSV [PopGroup]. The only measurable difference is that CSV [0] has no structures, it is your baseline for that world, while CSV [PopGroup] would include anything that you had built City, Domed City, Pollution Processor, etc.

The only way to compare your racial colonization modifiers is if you know a race with no colonization modifiers that has done a CSV [0] of the same planetary body.

-SK :cheers:

If you want to see the differences installations make you need to find a planet with problems you can correct and add installions one at a time while doing a CSV after each new installtion is added. You will then see what the differences are within that pop group.

My point is that I have installations that correct for atmosphere, the planet in question has atmosphere as one of the major components of attrition and I saw no impact due to different pop groups so I am not sure that putting the pop group in a CSV has an impact. In fact I got a message to the effect that the pop group I was using was not present on the target planet so it was changing to the null state.

No ...

CSV [0] assumes your Lifeform is the one colonization the planetary body, as does CSV [PopGroup].  The only measurable difference is that CSV [0] has no structures, it is your baseline for that world, while CSV [PopGroup] would include anything that you had built City, Domed City, Pollution Processor, etc.

The only way to compare your racial colonization modifiers is if you know a race with no colonization modifiers that has done a CSV [0] of the same planetary body.

-SK  :cheers:

Thanks SK. That's a very clear answer. Just what I was looking for!

I suspect that the bars showing attrition causes are computed before applying the race modifiers. For instance, on my last csv, I have a very long atmosphere bar while my race has "natural chemical exchange" and effectively the world "though not ideal, is close". So I think that the bar means: if your little fellows couldn't breath anything, atmosphere would be a big problem because it is very different from the one on your homeworld. Just my 2 cents...

I suspect that the bars showing attrition causes are computed before applying the race modifiers. For instance, on my last csv, I have a very long atmosphere bar while my race has "natural chemical exchange" and effectively the world "though not ideal, is close". So I think that the bar means: if your little fellows couldn't breath anything, atmosphere would be a big problem because it is very different from the one on your homeworld. Just my 2 cents...

Keep in mind, that the bars are relative to each other.

So the long atmosphere bar only states, that atmosphere is still by far the main problem

on that planet. But if it is cured by Domed Cities or only reduced is your guess.

I had CSVs after installing a Domed City, which looked at first glance, that it gor much worse.

But I overlooked, that the other bars got longer, because they where relative to the longest

bar.

Cestvel

I agree. Cestvel's point about the bars being relative is also a good point. When I get a chance I am going to go back through all the CSVs that I have done and see if I can determine what factor determines the attrition rating of a planet. My first suspicion is that the lifeform bar is the main determinant but I need to test that hypothesis.

If you CSV a pop group and you enter the correct pop group # then you should get a revised CSV rating based on the application of the installations present in the pop group. I have done this and seen attrition ratings go from moderate to ideal and from prohibitavely high to high. To my knowledge it isn't broken so it should also work for you.

Just as a reminder, there a lot of installations athe youcan build and they all won't affect your attrition rating. So building a domed city where there isn't an atmosphere problem will do nothing for your attrition rating.

I should also add that your lifeform bar on the print out is supposed to reflect your lifeform bonus towards offsetting your attrition factors. So the longer the bar the more offset you get.

:thumbsup::cheers:

The bars tell you which environmental factors are involved in the Attrition rating of that particular world/popgroup. The length of the bars tell you proportionally, to each other, which factors are more significant and which factors are less significant. Natural Chemical Exchange will create a significantly large Lifeform (favorable) dotted bar on a world whose major attrition factor is a different atmosphere from your homeworld - a long Atmosphere dashed bar. NCE doesn't do much in a Vacuum, yes?

-SK :thumbsup:

I like the CSV system. Imagine this game with MORE numbers to worry about :thumbsup:

I can look at a CSV and say, "gee, I need to build Domed Cities if I want to live there" and be done thinking about it.

"Ideal conditions" are always nice to see and makes the decision that much easier.

I've never had to read much more into the CSV than that.

If you CSV a pop group and you enter the correct pop group # then you should get a revised CSV rating based on the application of the installations present in the pop group. I have done this and seen attrition ratings go from moderate to ideal and from prohibitavely high to high. To my knowledge it isn't broken so it should also work for you.

Just as a reminder, there a lot of installations athe youcan build and they all won't affect your attrition rating. So building a domed city where there isn't an atmosphere problem will do nothing for your attrition rating.

I should also add that your lifeform bar on the print out is supposed to reflect your lifeform bonus towards offsetting your attrition factors. So the longer the bar the more offset you get

Hobknob, have you done this recently? I used a colony pop group that has Domed Cities and where atmosphere is a significant contributor to attrition and the world I performed the CSV also has atmosphere as a significant contributor. Therefore I am wondering if maybe there have been some recent changes that could have led to this feature being broken.

I haven't done one for a couple of months but prior to that it seemed to work fine. My last blitz of CSV's actually didnn't seem to do much and communication with the Oracle helped to figure out that the installations I was using had little effect on the stuff in question. So, while my subterranean cities had some effect it was not enough to drop the attrition to the next lower category.

:D:thumbsup::cheers:

Ali-t-akua,

You are perhaps forgetting one of the key components of the Attrition calculation, maximum effect. Each enviromental factor "tops out" at some point on how much Attrition it will cause. From the way I understand the calculation, the program takes the enviromental effect less the installation modifier then applies the top end clamp.

For the sake of illustration, let's say that the Atmosphere "Top End" is set at 80. The raw value of the planet you've CSV'd for Atmosphere attrition is 110. The effect of Domed City is -10.

Before the Domed City the amount was 110.

After the Domed City the amount was 100 (110-10).

Both are greater than 80, so the CSV will read the same for Atmosphere: 80.

While I have not tested this with Atmosphere, I found it to be painfully true for Temperature.

Hope that helps,

-SK :ninja:

Ali-t-akua,

You are perhaps forgetting one of the key components of the Attrition calculation, maximum effect.  Each enviromental factor "tops out" at some point on how much Attrition it will cause.  From the way I understand the calculation, the program takes the enviromental effect less the installation modifier then applies the top end clamp.

For the sake of illustration, let's say that the Atmosphere "Top End" is set at 80.  The raw value of the planet you've CSV'd for Atmosphere attrition is 110.  The effect of Domed City is -10.

Before the Domed City the amount was 110.

After the Domed City the amount was 100 (110-10).

Both are greater than 80, so the CSV will read the same for Atmosphere: 80.

While I have not tested this with Atmosphere, I found it to be painfully true for Temperature.

Hope that helps,

-SK  :ninja:

You make a good point. However, I have the impression that Domed Cities have a signficant impact no matter what the atmosphere is. In a Vaccum I watched my attrition go from 7% of my pop to 0% with just the addition of Domed Cities. I will go back and review the atmosphere.

ali,

As far as I know, we still aren't able to use a pop grp as a reference for csv's on planets or moons other than that on which it is located.

Thios brings up my second point. I did get a message to effect that the pop group I had identified was not present on the planet so the CSV was reverting to the basic CSV.