Rolling Thunder Forums

Tracking collected WP information

Prospective

I have found two ways to make this program work for SN. Make sure you read the documentation first as it explains how.

1. Use dotty. This is a click and drag type program. Left click and it places a node. Use the center button and hold and you can draw a line between them. Right click and you can access menus. If you r click on a node and select set attribute, you can attach labels, colors, etc. I would use this if you are completely void of programming skill.

2. You can use neato. I tried this last night and found I had to set up a text file (You can do this in Wordpad or Notepad which comes with Windows). You create a graph by typing the followin

graph G {

Point A -- point B

etc.

}

There is an explanation in the documentation on neato for setting attributes for nodes and lines (referred to edges in graphing theory).

Once you have created the text file, open neato. For the input file find your text file (you can browse for it). Create a file for the output file with the path and file name and for output type, select the format you are most comfortable using. I am using .gif.

The go to the bottom and click on do graph. You will get a message which varies on whether you were successful or not and if not what the reason was. (Syntax is the most common error I had which means I have misentered the operators.)

You can then go find the output file and open it.

I found neato was better and quicker at building the chart than dotty but dotty required no programming skill and neato required a modest amount.

I hope this helps.

We find it works better with directed graphs.

digraph map {

overlap=scale;

a -> b;

b -> c;

b -> a;

}

This lets you do one-way warps easily.

Interesting. Your earlier post said you used neato for your maps. From reading the docs today I thought neato only worked with undirected graphs. I just loaded your digraph above in dotty and neato. Works equally well in each, you just get a different layout. Very nice.

We find it works better with directed graphs.

digraph map {

overlap=scale;

a -> b;

b -> c;

b -> a;

}

This lets you do one-way warps easily.

Thanks for the overlap parameter! That dreaded overlaping was the reason I used

dot up until now.

Cestvel

Here's a sample of how I have mine setup (for Neato). :D

graph G {

nodesep="0"

graph [label=** The XXX Empire **",overlap="false];

node [fontsize=12",fontname="Helvetica];

edge [arrowhead=normal",arrowsize=".6];

John -- Jane [headlabel=A51",fontsize="10];

Jane -- John [headlabel=C12",fontsize="10];

Jane -- Joseph [headlabel=B25",fontsize="10];

Joseph -- Jane [headlabel=A45",fontsize="10];

John -- Jill [headlabel=D5",fontsize="10];

Jill -- Jack [headlabel=C28",fontsize="10];

Jack -- Julie [headlabel=A38",fontsize="10];

}

The headlabel info is Warp Class and Warp Point Size combined which shows up next to the arrowhead connecting to said system. This looks better with lots more system info cause it spreads it out better. Of course it all depends just how much info you want on your map. It looks like alot of keying in, which it is initially, but afterwards, it should only take you a few minutes to add your new system info each turn.

Now to color coordinate my systems. :D

Have fun

Interesting.  We got too much unreadable overlap when we tried to put it warp point info.  Of course, that was before we discovered the overlap command.  Does that solve it?

Krelnett-

In my personal experience in mapping well over 300 interconnected systems (80% FULLY surveyed).....you will ALWAYS have overlap.

The universe is very 3d....especially in some places.....all 2d versions of my maps are very painful to sort out. :D

YMMV (Your Map May Vary :D )