Rolling Thunder Forums

Alliances

Drasn

Ok, so what I'm gathering is:

1. Alliances without physical contact are so limited in power that for the most part their importance in the game is greatly diminished. (At least until more contact is made)

2. Alliances with your neighbors is s a 'good thing' . Given.

3. Avoid large military alliances. Once you find what side of the fence you're on, then joining one of these, could, maybe, might be worth while.

4. Tech trading alliances may be more neutral, so they are be safer to join! BTW, no ones mentioned anything about who these alliances might be. I've heard of Crossroad's alliance, are there others? How can I join, etc. etc!

5. Margaritas are good. No GREAT! NO! FANTABULOUS! Oh, wait, that's the lesson I learned at the restaurant, not from the forum! Strike that. :angry::cheers::cheers:

4. Tech trading alliances may be more neutral, so they are be safer to join! BTW, no ones mentioned anything about who these alliances might be. I've heard of Crossroad's alliance, are there others? How can I join, etc. etc!

Usually these groups invite you to join.

5. Margaritas are good. No GREAT! NO! FANTABULOUS! Oh, wait, that's the lesson I learned at the restaurant, not from the forum! Strike that. drunk.gif cheers.gif drunk.gif

You must not be listening closely enough to Kurrasier. :angry: I am sure if you were you would learn that from the Forum too. :cheers:

Usually these groups invite you to join.

Ahhhh, the secret is revealed. Thanks!

You must not be listening closely enough to Kurrasier.  :angry:  I am sure if you were you would learn that from the Forum too. :cheers:

Yes, I'm sure you're right! Sorry, Kurrasier, no offense intended. I do remember Bloodwine, Ale, and maybe even beer. If you have tequilla too, then we'll be gooood friends! :cheers:

Drasn you seem to have sorted out things pretty well. Most of the bigger alliances that have been formed are actually useless when it comes to playing the game. What is the point in joining a defensive alliance with someone who could be 500 systems from your own?

In time you will meet your neighbours in space and it is these people you should concentrate on forming an alliance with. That way you can trade and protect eachother (provided of course that's how they want to play the game!)

Good luck to you maybe we will meet up :)

Most of the bigger alliances that have been formed are actually useless when it comes to playing the game. What is the point in joining a defensive alliance with someone who could be 500 systems from your own?

Hmmm - it rather depends on your dreams!

Some of us have big dreams..... :)

Lord High Seneschal to Ur-Lord Tedric

One trend we've all seen though:

If people sign up at roughly the same time, they can almost be assured of being close to one another (1-4 sections of space away - each section containing enough buffer for a single empire)

Also-

Meta-alliances also have another purpose: to keep things interesting.

Even though some of us are spread out, an alliance can still declare enemies and change the political landscape.

I think the GSL is a fascinating study by itself (semi-conjecture here): a mega alliance that may have splintered off into several smaller units that still carry a basic truce between each cell, but all with one common enemy: MMB....and perhaps, the PA.

I can't speak on their behalf, but I think the old GSL has shaped a large chunk of our political landscape, as have the PA.

One phenomenon I've started to see:

Everyone wants to be neighborly...but what happens when you have four friendly neighbors and your neighbor encounters three more empires? Do you keep befriending each and every empire you meet?

My personal answer (at least for the Spawn): yes (only because I think its crucial for Core empires to work together to maintain their jumpstart advantage...especially in light of the fact that MOST core empires were not aware of the SRP advantage)

However, some empires (even core ones) are eventually going to want to rumble. Who do you pick on? The 'new' guy? ie the empire that your second neighbor bumped into last turn?

Its interesting to watch this issue unfold.

No matter what alliance you choose: meta or neighbor, I think it is more imperative to have at least one ally (located ANYWHERE) that you could trust with your very PBM life. :)

Yes, I'm sure you're right! Sorry, Kurrasier, no offense intended. I do remember Bloodwine, Ale, and maybe even beer. If you have tequilla too, then we'll be gooood friends! 

You'll find that I rarely get offended! And yes, if you can drink it, we have it!! :alien::):nuke:

Shadow,

Are my Ninja-Chefs already members of S.I.N.S. or do they need to apply? "My wok technique will defeat your wok technique!!"  :)  :alien:

Sakarissa  :alien:

If such an organization did exist, those who were members would know they were members, those who were not members would not know that such an organization did exist, but since such an organization does not exist -- all I can say is that no self respecting ninja would ask another ninja to reveal his or her ninja secrets. :nuke:

I like tequilla, but I have no idea what my 6 legged badgers from a frozen world like. I think it must be semi-liquid and smoke though. Whatever it is, it's good to know you carry it!

Here is our tequila Song

1 Tequila :ranting:

2 Tequila ;)

3 Tequila ;)

Floor :)

Hope you had some flat-out-fun! :blink:

Here is our tequila Song

1 Tequila  :drunk:

2 Tequila  :drunk:

3 Tequila  :drunk:

Floor        :oops:

Hope you had some flat-out-fun!  :ninja:

Ha! I hadn't heard that in a while! :cheers:

In regard to 'flat-out-fun': Age has taught me the great value of moderation, but when I was younger ... my first time to drink tequilla had me entertaining my friends by jumping into the air, laying out flat, and falling flat to the ground. :P Great fun and entertainment for all! :P

Ahem. Flat-out-fun. B) Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I hurt a bit the next day though! :python:

:ph34r: