Rolling Thunder Forums

Researchable Items…

NeilGartner

I’m moving double time on the research front and right now I’m got three selections for defence shields.

Mk I Deflector

Mk I Flux Capacitor

Mk I Forcefield

Which one is better for protection? I read somewhere on this forum that deflectors only stops solid projectiles and forcefields absorbs so much damage before collapsing. I have no idea what a Mk I Flux Capacitor is other than it sounds like something the Ghostblusters would use. :angry:

Also, could someone please tell me what type of warhead a Mk I Long Lance Torpedo uses? Nuclear Bomb, Hydrogen Bomb, etc?

Thanks and Cheers! :cheers:

Neil

I’m moving double time on the research front and right now I’m got three selections for defence shields.

Mk I Deflector

Mk I Flux Capacitor

Mk I Forcefield

Which one is better for protection?  I read somewhere on this forum that deflectors only stops solid projectiles and forcefields absorbs so much damage before collapsing.  I have no idea what a Mk I Flux Capacitor is other than it sounds like something the Ghostblusters would use.    :angry:

Also, could someone please tell me what type of warhead a Mk I Long Lance Torpedo uses?  Nuclear Bomb, Hydrogen Bomb, etc?

Thanks and Cheers!  :cheers:

Neil

Choices choices..... This game has literally hundreds of them perhaps thousands! when it comes to techs. One thing is certain. Noone will be able to excell in EVERY field there are just too many.

Your best bet is to pick 2 or 3 offensive weapons( as has been mentioned before on other threads) and defintitely research armor and force shields. Together they form a nice defense

that will keep you in the fight longer(ie survivability) and enable you to hopefully dish out

more damage then you take.

Also as you progress up the Force Shield tech tree you will encounter other techs that will help

defend your ships against exceedingly more powerful weapons.

Im sure there are others up the other tech trees and thats a choice you will have to make.

The best thing about that is that if you encounter another player willing to trade items you 2 could

research up differnt tech trees and then trade the items from those trees making both positions

stronger.

Mk I Deflector

Mk I Flux Capacitor

Mk I Forcefield

Which one is better for protection? I read somewhere on this forum that deflectors only stops solid projectiles and forcefields absorbs so much damage before collapsing. I have no idea what a Mk I Flux Capacitor is other than it sounds like something the Ghostblusters would use. biggrin.gif

I think your last item is Mk I Force Shield, not Forcefield.

Force Shields protect against all kinds of damage. They absorb damage up to their rating and then they are gone until the battle ends. Armor absorbs damage as well but it takes longer to repair. Other defensive systems protect againts specific types, Deflectors against projectile weapons, CIDS against missles, torpodoes, drones and fighters, flux capacitors against plasma weapons, etc. Every offensive weapon has a defensive equivalent as far as I am aware. Mon General gives good advice: armor and force shields are the pace to start.

Also, could someone please tell me what type of warhead a Mk I Long Lance Torpedo uses? Nuclear Bomb, Hydrogen Bomb, etc?

The warhead is built in as far as I know so you don't have to research it separately.

Yeah, its Force Shield... My bad.  :angry:

There just so many items to research that its hard to pick where to start.  I got my own ideas for designing my fleet and I'm looking for the best possible long range weapon.

Thanks  :cheers:

Neil

If your looking for long range then its missiles your wanting. Of course missiles

are prone to get 'shot down' but not in the way you would think. CIDS systems

seem to mitigate damage before impacting on other defensive systems such as

shields. You will still need short range weapons as well. Combined Arms is key

in SuperNova Space Battles or so we are told.

There just so many items to research that its hard to pick where to start. I got my own ideas for designing my fleet and I'm looking for the best possible long range weapon.

Fighters, Drones and Long Lance Missles offer the best shot at standoff combat but you will still need ships that can be on the front line and take a pounding to protect those long range ships in the back.

Thanks guys.

I'm planning to build some 'PT boat' style starships. High on speed and hitting power. As I advance in tech, I'll work my way up to building bigger warships. Someone around here suggested having a different weapon system to cover long, medium and short ranges. That's one advice I'm taking to heart.

The sad part is that I won't know if my designs are worth anything until someone starts shooting at me. :)

Cheers. :D

Neil

Well, MK I Force Shield is needed for Nuclear Transwarp Drives (no dropping to 0 AP after jumping through a WP). MK II are needed for Fusion Transwarp Drives (along with MK I Fusion Jump Drives). I suspect you'll need at least Mk I Force Shields.

Thanks guys.

I'm planning to build some 'PT boat' style starships.  High on speed and hitting power.  As I advance in tech, I'll work my way up to building bigger warships.  Someone around here suggested having a different weapon system to cover long, medium and short ranges.  That's one advice I'm taking to heart.

The sad part is that I won't know if my designs are worth anything until someone starts shooting at me.    :)

Cheers.  :D

Neil

Those 'PT boat' style starships wont do you much good except as perhaps cannon fodder for your

larger warships bringing up the rear. It has been proven time and time again that large

warships with high integrity(ie heavy armor) ratings last the longest when properly supported.

Thanks guys.

I'm planning to build some 'PT boat' style starships.  High on speed and hitting power.  As I advance in tech, I'll work my way up to building bigger warships.  Someone around here suggested having a different weapon system to cover long, medium and short ranges.  That's one advice I'm taking to heart.

The sad part is that I won't know if my designs are worth anything until someone starts shooting at me.    :)

Cheers.   :drunk:

Neil

Those 'PT boat' style starships wont do you much good except as perhaps cannon fodder for your

larger warships bringing up the rear. It has been proven time and time again that large

warships with high integrity(ie heavy armor) ratings last the longest when properly supported.

Even if I was to mount powerful and large engines on them for speed and maneuverability, they'll still be easy fodder for the badguys? I thought being dodgy was a starship's best friend. :D

Neil

You're definately going to want some hard hitting, high armor ships. You can screen them with your PT ships, but your smaller ships will be destroyed. You will want a large screen of them to protect the larger ships.

Of course, you may decide to take a certain research path that opens some marvelous tech type that allows you to build 10,000 ton ships that are the ultimate in close in PT ships.

Thanks guys.

Cheers.   :nuke:

Neil

Even if I was to mount powerful and large engines on them for speed and maneuverability, they'll still be easy fodder for the badguys? I thought being dodgy was a starship's best friend. :drunk:

Neil

In SN:ROTE your ships would be manuverable but would still be able to be hit. The combat system isnt like the old SN where high manuverability would make you nearly immune to

enemy fire. High manuverablity would probably still help but it will make you far from immune

and if its a small ship will go down easy if hit with the uber weapons we see coming down the pipe.

Use them to screen your large ships with many weapons and heavy armor and shields.

SuperNova places the battlewagon back to where it should be. :D

The one place maneuverability will help you is in defending against missles, drones and fighters. Higer speed makes it hard to hit and so it takes longer for these weapons to do damage. I suspect you will need to add CIDS in order to futher reduce the damage.

Ali-t-Akua is correct but it doenst keep you from getting hit. There is a mitigation factor built in

so that certain systems 'mitigate' the damage from other systems. ie Black sphere generators

against plasma torpedos. I have confidence that the Black Sphere Generator will just limit the

amount of damage inflicted by the Plasma torp hit in much the same way high manuver rating

will 'mitigate' the damage from the enemies missile, drone and fighter missile firepower.

CIDS serve to 'mitigate' this firepower even more so but I doubt it can completely

countered. ie 100% effective.

The one place maneuverability will help you is in defending against missles, drones and fighters. Higer speed makes it hard to hit and so it takes longer for these weapons to do damage. I suspect you will need to add CIDS in order to futher reduce the damage.

Ali-t-Akua is correct but it doenst keep you from getting hit. There is a mitigation factor built in

so that certain systems 'mitigate' the damage from other systems. ie Black sphere generators

against plasma torpedos. I have confidence that the Black Sphere Generator will just limit the

amount of damage inflicted by the Plasma torp hit in much the same way high manuver rating

will 'mitigate' the damage from the enemies missile, drone and fighter missile firepower.

CIDS serve to 'mitigate' this firepower even more so but I doubt it can completely

countered. ie 100% effective.

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions. I'm glad that the little ships still have a place in this game. :)