Rolling Thunder Forums

A Question About AP Ratings for Ships

NeilGartner

Skimming operations are clearly the way to go as long as you have at least some marginally advanced engines. I would be happy to point out your own sweet spot if you provide an engine type.

I currently skim for over 2M tons of fuel a turn on my homeworld so having a gas giant at your disposal is not necessarily required.

After having claimed the above I will make a single concession, if you don't have a decent planet to skim then you may have to resort to the much less efficient fuel conversion process.

:ninja:B)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skimming operations are clearly the way to go as long as you have at least some marginally advanced engines.  I would be happy to point out your own sweet spot if you provide an engine type.

I currently skim for over 2M tons of fuel a turn on my homeworld so having a gas giant at your disposal is not necessarily required.

After having claimed the above I will make a single concession, if you don't have a decent planet to skim then you may have to resort to the much less efficient fuel conversion process.

:nuke:  :blink:

I might be getting Mk II nuclear engines in my next turn but I hope to work my way up to Fusion engines shortly. Could you tell me how far up they are in the research tree after Mk II nuclear engines?

Neil

Skimming operations are clearly the way to go as long as you have at least some marginally advanced engines.  I would be happy to point out your own sweet spot if you provide an engine type.

:nuke:  :blink:

I might be getting Mk II nuclear engines in my next turn but I hope to work my way up to Fusion engines shortly. Could you tell me how far up they are in the research tree after Mk II nuclear engines?

Neil

Your in Luck.. Once you get Mk II Nuke engines Mk I Fusion opens up.

QUOTE(NeilGartner @ May 29 2005, 03:31 AM)

QUOTE(hobknob @ May 28 2005, 05:03 PM)

nuke.gif  blink.gif

Thanks drunk.gif

Neil

You also get Mk III Nuclear Engines. I believe that the main difference is that Fusion Engines will top out at a higher thrust rating but at the cost of a lower Structural Integrity so choose wisely. :nuke:

You also get Mk III Nuclear Engines. I believe that the main difference is that Fusion Engines will top out at a higher thrust rating but at the cost of a lower Structural Integrity so choose wisely. :nuke:

I definitely want to build fast ships but how bad is this penalty with Fusion Engines? Are we talking about something like a 5-10% reduction to your ship's armor or something? Inquiring minds like to know.

Thanks! :drunk:

Mk I Fusion Engine weighs in at 100 tons but only has 80 integrity but provides 1000 thrust per engine.

Sakarissa  :nuke:

As there doesn't seem to be a 'magic bullet' possibility of destroying an entire ship with a lucky shot on an exposed Fusion Engine......

A higher thrust rating has TWO advantages....1) higher AP and 2) increased defensive maneuvarability against missiles, drones etc.

I'd much rather have the higher maneuverability that Fusion engines provided and make up the lost integrity with a few more slabs of armor.

Fusion Engine + slabs of armor >> Nuclear Engine IMHO

YMMV (Your mileage may vary)

WAAAFASISIDRMWEYT (We are all alien freaks anyway so I suppose it doesn't really matter which engine you try)

Mk I Fusion Engine weighs in at 100 tons but only has 80 integrity but provides 1000 thrust per engine.

Sakarissa  :drunk:

As there doesn't seem to be a 'magic bullet' possibility of destroying an entire ship with a lucky shot on an exposed Fusion Engine......

A higher thrust rating has TWO advantages....1) higher AP and 2) increased defensive maneuvarability against missiles, drones etc.

I'd much rather have the higher maneuverability that Fusion engines provided and make up the lost integrity with a few more slabs of armor.

Fusion Engine + slabs of armor >> Nuclear Engine IMHO

YMMV (Your mileage may vary)

WAAAFASISIDRMWEYT (We are all alien freaks anyway so I suppose it doesn't really matter which engine you try)

So Fusion Engines are easier to break but they provide more thrust.

I'm making plans to build a 1,250,000 Ton warship. Now, if I should place 1250 Mk I Fusion Engines and each gives 1000 (tons?) of thrust, altogether will that give it a fair amount of push? As for protection, half of this baby will be nothing but armor and defence fields, so the engines should be well protected. I hope... :nuke:

I'm making plans to build a 1,250,000 Ton warship. Now, if I should place 1250 Mk I Fusion Engines and each gives 1000 (tons?) of thrust, altogether will that give it a fair amount of push? As for protection, half of this baby will be nothing but armor and defence fields, so the engines should be well protected. I hope... python.gif

If you take the amount of thrust times the number of engines and divide that by the mass of the ship, you will get the number of APs with there always being a minimum of 2 AP. (Another way to calculate this is to take the thrust rating divided by 100 and multiply that by the percentage of the ship devoted to engines.)

Maneuverability is calculated the same way but has no minimum number.

In your example your calculation works out to 1 AP (so you get 2) and OK maneuverability. You will need to devote more engines to improve both ratings. If you want an AP higher than two you will need to devote 30% of the mass of the ship to engines or 375,000 T. Maneuverability will also improve but since the impact of maneuverability depends on the speed of the missle, drone or fighter it is a relative number.

I'm making plans to build a 1,250,000 Ton warship. Now, if I should place 1250 Mk I Fusion Engines and each gives 1000 (tons?) of thrust, altogether will that give it a fair amount of push? As for protection, half of this baby will be nothing but armor and defence fields, so the engines should be well protected. I hope... python.gif

If you take the amount of thrust times the number of engines and divide that by the mass of the ship, you will get the number of APs with there always being a minimum of 2 AP. (Another way to calculate this is to take the thrust rating divided by 100 and multiply that by the percentage of the ship devoted to engines.)

Maneuverability is calculated the same way but has no minimum number.

In your example your calculation works out to 1 AP (so you get 2) and OK maneuverability. You will need to devote more engines to improve both ratings. If you want an AP higher than two you will need to devote 30% of the mass of the ship to engines or 375,000 T. Maneuverability will also improve but since the impact of maneuverability depends on the speed of the missle, drone or fighter it is a relative number.

Thanks for the information. :nuke: I was planning to develop transwarp drive and I just learnt that I need a AP of 3 to take full advantage of it.

May I ask how much thrust a MK II Fusion drive can give?