Rolling Thunder Forums

A Question About AP Ratings for Ships

NeilGartner

lol, this is becoming a nagging question for me. Each turn, I wonder what to research in slot 1 and ends by choosing an engine (except once for mkii jss). I'm beginning to wonder if I wouln't be better in the end if I spent all my srps on engines rather than getting transwarp drives, improved strip mines and the like. At least, it's an entertaining idea: how much thrust would I get after 20 turns of researching engines : 50000, 100000, more? What award do you win with the fastest ship in the galaxy? :thumbsup:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, this is becoming a nagging question for me. Each turn, I wonder what to research in slot 1 and ends by choosing an engine (except once for mkii jss). I'm beginning to wonder if I wouln't be better in the end if I spent all my srps on engines rather than getting transwarp drives, improved strip mines and the like. At least, it's an entertaining  idea: how much thrust would I get after 20 turns of researching engines : 50000, 100000, more? What award do you win with the fastest ship in the galaxy? :thumbsup:

You can only slot 1 up to 4th Generation.

Mk I Nuke (1.), Mk II Nuke(2.), Mk I Fusion(3.), Mk II Fusion(4.) so Mk III Fusion (5.)

has to be researched by "Hand".

Cestvel

lol, this is becoming a nagging question for me. Each turn, I wonder what to research in slot 1 and ends by choosing an engine (except once for mkii jss). I'm beginning to wonder if I wouln't be better in the end if I spent all my srps on engines rather than getting transwarp drives, improved strip mines and the like. At least, it's an entertaining  idea: how much thrust would I get after 20 turns of researching engines : 50000, 100000, more? What award do you win with the fastest ship in the galaxy? :thumbsup:

You can only slot 1 up to 4th Generation.

Mk I Nuke (1.), Mk II Nuke(2.), Mk I Fusion(3.), Mk II Fusion(4.) so Mk III Fusion (5.)

has to be researched by "Hand".

Cestvel

That is not just limited to engines by the way. All Slot 1 research using SRPs is limited to fourth generation.

As for maximum thrust I would guess at least 500,000 tons would be the top end since the amount of thrust seems to double with each advance. I am assuming that Total Conversion Engines are the best you can research.

As for maximum thrust I would guess at least 500,000 tons would be the top end since the amount of thrust seems to double with each advance. I am assuming that Total Conversion Engines are the best you can research.

That appears to be the case, but I would not underestimate the creative cunning of the Dread Space Pirate Pete. :cheers:

-SK :thumbsup:

I am assuming that Total Conversion Engines are the best you can research.

Never assume young padawan. (have no idea if this is spelled right! ) :P:ranting:

I think you have spelled it correctly. I don't like to make assumptions but lacking information about other power sources for engines, an assumption is the best I have to go on. :ranting:

That appears to be the case, but I would not underestimate the creative cunning of the Dread Space Pirate Pete. :cheers:

-SK :ninja:

Be careful of Blasphemy. :D

We've also gotten EXPL hits on gravitic drives.  Whether that comes before or after total conversion is anyone's guess.

A "Total Conversion" Engine (where "total" is taken literally) is a physical impossibility - so I'd say it comes last in the Engine line. :ninja: Not only would you need to completely exchange some fuel mass (McBovine burgers, perhaps) into energy -- a tricky feat even if the formula governing the conversion is simple: that old E=mc2 -- I'd also say that "total conversion" implies that all the energy produced is able to be channelled to do work, i.e. an 100% effiecient engine.

Via the Second Law of Thermodynamics this is impossible. So, a Total Conversion Engine should be the pinnacle of propulsion research....

My guess would be Anti-matter --> Gravitic --> Total Conversion

-LX

We've also gotten EXPL hits on gravitic drives.  Whether that comes before or after total conversion is anyone's guess.

A "Total Conversion" Engine (where "total" is taken literally) is a physical impossibility - so I'd say it comes last in the Engine line. :) Not only would you need to completely exchange some fuel mass (McBovine burgers, perhaps) into energy -- a tricky feat even if the formula governing the conversion is simple: that old E=mc2 -- I'd also say that "total conversion" implies that all the energy produced is able to be channelled to do work, i.e. an 100% effiecient engine.

Via the Second Law of Thermodynamics this is impossible. So, a Total Conversion Engine should be the pinnacle of propulsion research....

My guess would be Anti-matter --> Gravitic --> Total Conversion

-LX

The only thing I can tink of that may follow total conversion is maybe a "Zero point" engine, of some type, of course I have no idea is such a thing exists in the SN universe. :cheers::jawdrop: