Rolling Thunder Forums

Surveying

Hughestrog

You are correct. I have not run an ORB in many turns as PMAP usually covers identifying aliens, at least if the information in the turn results is to be believed (along wiht players who have pointed out the overlap) so I did not realize that the ORB order can also be run from any orbit. Thanks for pointing that out Drasn.

Ali, with all of the help you guys hand out, I'm glad I could help at all!

I've been wondering about the value of the ORB order lately. Getting kind of tired of the ol' <none found here> remark. What does this really mean? I assume it means an EXPL would be fruitless. How else do you find suitable worlds to explore if not via ORB?

I've been wondering about the value of the ORB order lately. Getting kind of tired of the ol' <none found here> remark. What does this really mean? I assume it means an EXPL would be fruitless. How else do you find suitable worlds to explore if not via ORB?

If you find an alien world, you get some detail. Not having found one I cannot provide more information. Maybe others who have can give more detail. :nuke:

If you find an alien world, you get some detail. Not having found one I cannot provide more information. Maybe others who have can give more detail. :drunk:

The Orb order tells you quite a lot about the planet - if there's anything there!! :nuke:

Do one over your HW and see... :blink:

On 'virgin' worlds, you get the <none found here> remark until there is 'something'. But you only find 'somethings' after successful EXPL orders.

So, settle down on any world (perhaps after establishing a Pop Gp to stash finds in, provided the fleet has cargo bays) and XEXPL for several turns. After some sucessful finds, then do the ORB.....

Chief Scientist to Ur-Lord Tedric

On 'virgin' worlds, you get the <none found here> remark until there is 'something'.  But you only find 'somethings' after successful EXPL orders.

Thanks, that explains a lot! Here I was ORBing for a good place to EXPL, when I should have been EXPLing for a good place to ORB! :nuke:

So ORBs value lies in determining how much EXPLing may be left in a world, and in scouting unknown pop groups. It's probably not something you would generally use in your blanket system surveying. It would be used more surgically, right?

Thanks, that explains a lot! Here I was ORBing for a good place to EXPL, when I should have been EXPLing for a good place to ORB!  :blink:

So ORBs value lies in determining how much EXPLing may be left in a world, and in scouting unknown pop groups. It's probably not something you would generally use in your blanket system surveying. It would be used more surgically, right?

One way of looking at it. I use it on worlds I've been EXPL since the beginning. I'd also use it on any Neutrals that I find- not that I have mind you.

On 'virgin' worlds, you get the <none found here> remark until there is 'something'.  But you only find 'somethings' after successful EXPL orders.

Thanks, that explains a lot! Here I was ORBing for a good place to EXPL, when I should have been EXPLing for a good place to ORB! :ranting:

In general I find that ORBs are good follow up commands behind (X)EXPL and PMAP.

If the PMAP detects a PopGroup, do an ORB.

If the (X)EXPL finds anything, do an ORB.

As a terrible colonizer, I tend to do PMAPs more than anything else since the SS order tells me the atmosphere. If the PMAP shows a Gravity and Temperature close to my Homeworld norm, I do a CSV. I don't do a GEO unless the world is Moderate or better for colonizing, because I can't get the resources without a horrific cost in colonists lives. (Of course, if I were a colonizing race I'd probably have a different exploration protocol.) :)

-SK :blink:

There is actually very little need to ever use the CSV after the first 20 or so. By then you should be able to figure out what they are likey to be just from the PMAP. This will give you a rough idea. The only planets that you will ever need to actually CSV are those that you want to actually colonize based on GEO results.

So the only real orders you need for each body are PMAP and GEO. If you find something interesting like a pop group then an ORB is called for and if you want to colonize it then you might want to do a CSV.

Personnaly I would like to just ahve the CSV incorporated into the PMAP for the planet.

:):blink:

There is actually very little need to ever use the CSV after the first 20 or so. By then you should be able to figure out what they are likey to be just from the PMAP. This will give you a rough idea. The only planets that you will ever need to actually CSV are those that you want to actually colonize based on GEO results.

So the only real oders you need for each body are PMAP and GEO. If you find something interesting like a pop group then an ORB is called for and if you wnat to colonize it then you might want to do a CSV.

Personnaly I would like to just ahve the CSV incorporated into the PMAP for the planet.

I have been running CSV, PMAP and GEO on everything. This gives me some possible thoughts on doing it differently. it seems PMAP is the most useful of all the survey commands.