Rolling Thunder Forums

Versions of SNFindPath

cestvel

A few questions about this program from someone who's never used it or anything like it:

1) Will it run on Windows 95?  I actually enter my orders using VirtualPC on a Mac!  I -do- have another computer networked and using XP, but I'd rather do the work on the machine containing all my maps, turn archives and data.

2) Will it generate a map?  My guess from reading the posts here is no.  Is there a program that will?

Thank you for adding the feature for conjoined empires.  I'm not sure how long I'll -have- conjoined empires.

1) It should work on Win 95. Needs the same Jet lib as the entry program.

2) No. I use GraphViz for drawing my maps. But they get cluttered badly as they grow.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good. If you wanted to get fancy you could add an option to add MOVE/WARP orders for a path directly to the SN Turn Entry Data.mdb table. Then it would be simple to use the turn entry software to edit that as needed, including in to a convoy route.

You might hit a glitch with the double WARP instances (due to one way warp points) but worst case those are fairly rare and could be manually adjusted.

Looks good.  If you wanted to get fancy you could add an option to add MOVE/WARP orders for a path directly to the SN Turn Entry Data.mdb table.  Then it would be simple to use the turn entry software to edit that as needed, including in to a convoy route. 

You might hit a glitch with the double WARP instances (due to one way warp points) but worst case those are fairly rare and could be manually adjusted.

I avoid to modify any MDBs, so that will not be in, sorry.

What you mean by the second reference I do not understand.

Or do you mean the rare instances where you can skip a move order, because

your ship is already at the correct point after a one way and you continue through

the arrival warppoint?

Yet another new Version:

SNFindPath205.zip

I have added an export to a GraphViz datafile.

You select your starting system in the first List and can leave out Systems

selected in the "Avoid" list.

If this feature is really used by some, I will expand on that. But please let me

know what kind of enhancements to this export feature you want.

Do you mean the rare instances where you can skip a  move order, because

your ship is already at the correct point after a one way and you continue through  the arrival warppoint?

Exactly.

Does the program handle that well?

Get yourself GraphViz. search the board or use this link:

GraphViz

You get a GraphViz file as export from SNFindPath.

You can use that with any graph drawing software, that understands GraphViz input files.

So you get a nice map out of it.

dot and neato are only two routines who generate a graph in a picture file.

Get yourself GraphViz. search the board or use this link:

GraphViz

You get a GraphViz file as export from SNFindPath.

You can use that with any graph drawing software, that understands GraphViz input files.

So you get a nice map out of it.

dot and neato are only two routines who generate a graph in a picture file.

ahhh, i just wasn't waiting long enough. thx for the help

Yet another new Version:

SNFindPath205.zip

I have added an export to a GraphViz datafile.

You select your starting system in the first List and can leave out Systems

selected in the "Avoid" list.

If this feature is really used by some, I will expand on that. But please let me

know what kind of enhancements to this export feature you want.

The combination of your latest program, GraphViz (neato), and SGRViewer were very close to what I was looking for. :laugh:

I have generated a very nice map with neato, a not so great map with dot and fdp just runs out of memory.

If I would like to fill in a node with a color on the map that is created what is the best way to do that?

What I did was to export to a SVG format file and then read that file into Visio 2003. I find I can color the text of the system name but not color the node. But I am not any kind of an expert with Visio. SVG seems to be the best format that GrapViz can produce that Visio can read. Are there other programs similar to Visio (free maybe) that I can use to manipulate the maps (e.g. color in nodes)?

There are quite a few parameters that you can play with in generating the map, is it best to just go for the defaults? Are there any parameters that you use that are non-default that you would recommend with neato?

Have you printed out your GraphVis maps? There is a company in San Diego that can go up to 4 foot (or maybe 5 foot) wide maps and mount them on gatorboard. A map of my stellar neighborhood would look quite cool on the wall of my office.

I never got Astrosynthesis to work for me because it was so labor intensive to create maps. Is there a method to get these maps into that program?

Thanks so much for your efforts! Now, if I can talk some of my neighbors into swapping MDB files with me I'll be in business.

Best Regards,

John Stanton

If I would like to fill in a node with a color on the map that is created what is the best way to do that?

Add the attributes (link under documentation/graph attributes on GraphViz page)

to the Graphviz file.

There are quite a few parameters that you can play with in generating the map, is it best to just go for the defaults? Are there any parameters that you use that are non-default that you would recommend with neato?

The only one I use is the one I add to the export: overlap=scale

Have you printed out your GraphVis maps? There is a company in San Diego that can go up to 4 foot (or maybe 5 foot) wide maps and mount them on gatorboard. A map of my stellar neighborhood would look quite cool on the wall of my office.

Not really, only on A$ Paper (approx. Legal size) scaled down to have a kind of overlook.

Neato Maps tent to get huge.

The problem with GraphViz and SN-Maps is, that SN-Maps are 3D while GraphViz does 2D layout.

I never got Astrosynthesis to work for me because it was so labor intensive to create maps. Is there a method to get these maps into that program?

Never much looked into that. But you can get GraphViz to give the coords out I think.

That may be a starting point to move them over int that prgram, as it need coordinates.