Rolling Thunder Forums

"So whats yer rank" -- Galactic Ranking System?

EternusIV

Would you like to see a "top 10" list for various categories to measure our comparative strengths in each area? Example: Top 10 Empires in Iron Production...Tonnage Destroyed....Ground Units Built.....etc?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Some very convincing NO arguments to be sure.

:cheers:

In framing the ranked list issue, I think we realized the misplaced reverie of a "top 10 list" came from a subconscious reference a sordid mix of the Victory conditions, rankings from player newsletters from SNII games, David Letterman and a different PBM game altogether.

I can see the loopholes very cleraly now that you mention it.

The main NO argument I've come up with since I proffered this pole is that some people might be so distraught about their 'rank' that they quit (or as its been suggested: result in nonproductive bickering.../shudder)

Dang! Whose friggin poll idea was this anyway! :blink: [i still think very broad categories would be cool and harmless?...oh wait...there I go again, being [i]naive[/i] and all]

Luckily, I've enjoyed playing the game enough to avoid losing sleep about how well I am doing compared to the 12-legged McBovine Swineherds on Praxyain-5. :cheers:

It brings up another Eternus-has-no-life-type question though:

How do we define a "successful" empire? Do we count up widgets at the end of the race? Or Wadgets? Number of homeworlds conquered (considering the relative ease of conquereing the numerous dropped positions sitting out there)? Or do we intend to take SNROTE with us into retirement, leaving our positions to nerdy heirs through careful esate planning? :P

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We fully intend to pass our Brotherhood on to our progeny. Of course, retirement is some 30 Terran years away, and that point we'd actually have MORE time for gaming, so we can't think why we'd want to give it up anytime soon.

I would like to see a list of the top 10 for lots of categories, but I don't think there should be any empire attributed to them. It will be enough to see that some empire has an iron mining rate of 5M+ to get me envious and wanting to do more myself. I don't wnat to know who it is, just that it is being done by somebody. I would also like some sort of news bulletins when somebody has reached a new pinnacle in technology achievement, again without any indication of who did it. This would certainly add a bit of excitement to the game while keeping the details of who did it confidential.

:cheers::P:cheers::angry::blink:

I would like to see a list of the top 10 for lots of categories, but I don't think there should be any empire attributed to them.  It will be enough to see that some empire has an iron mining rate of 5M+ to get me envious and wanting to do more myself.  I don't wnat to know who it is, just that it is being done by somebody.  I would also like some sort of news bulletins when somebody has reached a new pinnacle in technology achievement, again without any indication of who did it.  This would certainly add a bit of excitement to the game while keeping the details of who did it confidential.

:cheers:  :P  :cheers:  :angry:  :blink:

Thats a pretty cool compromise, actually. :angry:

As for 'success' - I'm enjoying the challenge of a high-breeding colonization race with no SRPs. I've already succeeded in my mind and if I can protect my space and work closer with my neighbors, all the better.

I'd much rather build colony ships and ICM every turn and watch my industrial base continue to boom...but reality forces me to build ships to defend against those who might want to ruin the fun.

* sigh *

Realizing that this is a game, with the idea of some form of competition, I understand that there is a need for some to know how they are doing in relation to those around them.

In the context of this game, how do you compare the greatness of empires? If this is something that you're truly dead set on, may I suggest one item.

NOTHING IS OF GREATER IMPORTANCE THAN THE NAVAL COMBAT DOCUMENT.

Any game related suggestion that takes time, effort or attention from Pete to work on this document is irresponsible and a disservice to the players.

If you must have a means of comparison, you might have to accept the medium that all commanders have used throughout time.

Is the name and reputation of your kingdom one that inspires fear, or contempt.

Are your legions known for liberation, or enslavement.

Is the next system the end of the galaxy or are there countless more to be explored?

Is it possible to open one more Starbars franchise somewhere in the galaxy?

Can the entire galactic population be brought to the true one faith?

Will my uber ground combat race defeat the uber space combat race?

Ah, the enduring questions.

* sigh *

Realizing that this is a game, with the idea of some form of competition, I understand that there is a need for some to know how they are doing in relation to those around them.

In the context of this game, how do you compare the greatness of empires?  If this is something that you're truly dead set on, may I suggest one item.

Any game related suggestion that takes time, effort or attention from Pete to work on this document is irresponsible and a disservice to the players.

If you must have a means of comparison, you might have to accept the medium that all commanders have used throughout time. 

Is the next system the end of the galaxy or are there countless more to be explored?

Which one true Faith is that? :P

-SK :cheers:

* sigh *

In the context of this game, how do you compare the greatness of empires?  If this is something that you're truly dead set on, may I suggest one item.

Actually I think there are several things I would like to see Pete do rather than a top 10 list. The Naval Combat doc is at the top but there are things that I think are needed to fulfill the promise of this game. Items in the area of Diplomacy, Espionage, Stability, etc. all of which are hinted at in various places but which I suspect are not fully implemented at this time. I am not trying to suggest a priority because Russ and Pete are fully capable and ultimately it is their game but IMO a top 10 list would come near the bottom in terms of completing the game experience.

At first I was going to avoid the following semi-rant but what the hell, I just got back from the gym and might as well air my opinion, albeit a contentious one.

Most of it is in response to the overall vibe I get from the board from time to time and nothing precise in this thread.

Its clear that the Naval Combat Primer is highly anticipated amongst most of you.

Did any of you actually think I was suggesting this spontaneous idea to supercede all of RTG's time? :cheers: Take it for what it was - a spontaneous suggestion without implication to the current perceived 'crisis' of lacking a new naval combat primer.

Is this poll is a disservice simply because it isn't another "WHERE IS THE NAVAL COMBAT DOCUMENT" thread? :blink:

I don't think so. :taz: I understand the frustration and impatience...but to me I find it disheartening to see such frustration begin to dominate the community of the game.

Some of us are quite content with our understanding of the game and not as impatient (for a document I will boldly predict will fall short of many of your expectations - which in my view - wont be the fault of RTG whatsoever)

Sorry. I won't hesitate to make suggestions, no matter how untimely they may seem, because: (1) I don't think there is anything wrong with making positive suggestions to a game we've been playing for over two years, and (2) in my personal experience with Pete and Russ, you don't have to worry about them losing sight of their priorities. They're professionals.

If you think I sound a little defensive of RTG, you're right.

I look forward to game improvements but also recognize the strain on RTG to made said improvements.

I'm not playing SNROTE to await some version of the game to emerge that is to my satisfaction: I'm already satisfied with the product that we have. Is it perfect? Heck, no. But its what we have and in my view provides us a tremendous stage to build an open-ended empire.

I miss the days when the community first started and we were all a little more optimistic about the game. :angry:

If you think I'm a little defensive about how a mere suggestion is being treated, you're also right :cheers: Oh I don't mind people saying my suggestions are terrible! :angry:

On the contrary, opposing viewpoints are more than welcome. :P versus :angry:

But - when there is an implication that the mere act of making a suggestion is somehow interfering with a particular player's expectation on RTG, I begin to worry about where the community is headed.

I love seeing people's suggestions, no matter how inane or silly. I think it would really suck if people were made to feel that their suggestion wasn't 'on target' enough just because someone else is grumpy about RTGs "lack of responsiveness" or whatever.

END OF SUNFLOWER RANT

Now, on to more pressing issues:

Depends on your point of view :angry: I hear that bovines and farmers love the concept of nearly-invincible, highly adaptable food sources. Landscaping races might disagree.

Our legions are known for taking seed and multiplying...if you happen to be in the way, we'll try to grow around you...but once we take seed there really isn't anything we can do to stop our presence.

Mucho systems. Until my Spawn race finds a newer player like Neil Gartner, I'll always be looking for 'next door' But I promise to respect your territory if at all possible :angry: [ie 'Just Passing Through'....really!]

Hmmm. The neutrals we recently discovered are quite impressed with the Mead of the Brotherhood and I saw a few promising entrepreneurs amongst the large-craniumed serpent natives on Jayrhah-4b.

Yes...the belief that you CAN succeed with 40 orders per turn! (according to the infomercial)

Not in space of course....but yes. I've heard reports of [minister of defence taps me on shoulder]...*cough* I have no clue!

Nah...piece o' cake, man :taz:

ShadowKitsune,

A good question. I was supplying it as an example for those races who have a more fervent slant. :cheers:

My Spartans are not intent on spreading our faith. We do have the desire to put training camps in key locations.

:P

Eternus,

Perhaps there is a valid reason for this shift in board tone. I will not address that here.

I have an interest in seeing this game continue, I have invested significant time and money so I can drift off during staff meetings.

Sometimes, I worry about the health and well being of Pete because any thing that could affect him might mean this game is over. I would be devestated.

How do you define a top ten for this game, and why? I don't see the point.

An eldar empire based on the conditions given would always be in the top ten. How does a mid-game or new empire even begin to compete? I think it false bravado, serving no purpose.

Naval Document. Do I really need to explain this?

I too, will not apologize.

There is a vital need for this explaination of game mechanics. I am tired of not knowing game basics.

If the document doesn't clearly explain how to engage in naval combat using basic starting tech, then there is a serious problem. Years spent on a document that doesn't explain the system, is a failure.

YES, YES, and YES! We are undergoing a massive expansion project that includes the building of a new StarBars every 6 days. (that's Sabeli time, btw)

:cheers:

Of course! Most already know that the Holy Brotherhood of Brewmasters IS the ONE TRUE FAITH! :P

I would like to see a list of the top 10 for lots of categories, but I don't think there should be any empire attributed to them.  It will be enough to see that some empire has an iron mining rate of 5M+ to get me envious and wanting to do more myself.  I don't wnat to know who it is, just that it is being done by somebody.  I would also like some sort of news bulletins when somebody has reached a new pinnacle in technology achievement, again without any indication of who did it.  This would certainly add a bit of excitement to the game while keeping the details of who did it confidential.

:cheers:  :P  :cheers:  :angry:  :blink:

Now as Eternus said, this would be a great compromise (and there could be many, many categories). But as Ali and Lord Uriel said, RTG have better things to do at the moment. Remember there's Victory to run and Project Overlord (a work in progress?).

And having to deal with the daft questions that I occasionally ask them, would send anyone to distraction!

I'm not playing SNROTE to await some version of the game to emerge that is to my satisfaction: I'm already satisfied with the product that we have. Is it perfect? Heck, no. But its what we have and in my view provides us a tremendous stage to build an open-ended empire.

Yes, but what we have isn't even close to what we were promised, not only in the advertisements for the game, but in the rulebook itself! The reason I quitplaying the Thamians back in the beginnings of the game is that I was tired of paying to playtest something that I was told was already a finished professional product. I understand no project is ever completed- only abandoned, but I felt betrayed that so many things simply were not working and apparently had never even been looked at.

I started playing again a year and a half ago with a new position and new understanding of the way the rules worked (which is still not how they were described) and I've been happy so far. But once again people are getting to new points in the game only to discover there are more bugs that should have been found in even the most cursory of playtests.

Don't get me wrong, this is a fun game, and I'll continue to play it as long as it's fun, but it could have been, and should have been, so much more.