Rolling Thunder Forums

shrine question

rotor911

One of my exploration ships discovered a temple to Ptah. My priests have been praying to Ptah and then I make the discovery of the 88 MKIII Nuclear Engine in one of her temples. Coincidence, most likely. However, I think my home system must have had a major temple for every religion on the planets because I'm sure finding lots of them. And pulling in some nice goodies. I do have some excess priests laying around maybe I should move some to the different planets.

I started out as a theocracy but the priests kinda got rowdy around 10 turns ago and I had to put done the revolution.

Yes, they hit temples more when they're higher level.

To refute someone's earlier point: Religious leaders do NOT pray at all available temples when they get the urge to pray. There's a separate chance for each one, and apparently the better-known temples get more attention. I have Grand Cathedrals to fiveGods, but the first one I found has at least one guy praying to it every turn, while the others only get hit every other turn or so, and not always by the same people.

Well so far every position I run with religious types get hits on all temples present when ever they get a hit and so do all the other players that I am in contact with. You would be the first one to find otherwise.

I even get hits on shrines, alien and otherwise as well.

In the end I am sure it will hardly matter as I really can't see any religious stuff opening up too soon. It just isn't on any of the burners and I can't see Pete moving other stuff off to make room for it.

:cheers::blush:

To refute someone's earlier point: Religious leaders do NOT pray at all available temples when they get the urge to pray.  There's a separate chance for each one, and apparently the better-known temples get more attention.  I have Grand Cathedrals to fiveGods, but the first one I found has at least one guy praying to it every turn, while the others only get hit every other turn or so, and not always by the same people.

I like the result where the ArchBishop prays to an unknown deity

Archbishop Delta Prophet prayed at a shrine to an unknown deity, generating favor for your Empire in the eyes of an unknown deity!

Which is always pretty interesting when you also see this on the same turn:

> Archbishop Delta Prophet prayed at a forbidding Grand Cathedral dedicated to Kar-Tang the Reaver, generating favor for your Empire in the eyes of Kar-Tang the Reaver!

> Archbishop Delta Prophet prayed at a gloomy Grand Cathedral dedicated to Vladchek the Dark One, generating favor for your Empire in the eyes of Vladcheck the Dark One!

> Archbishop Delta Prophet prayed at a spectacular Grand Cathedral dedicated to Yamal the Lawgiver, generating favor for your Empire in the eyes of Yamal the Lawgiver!

> Archbishop Delta Prophet prayed at a wondrous Grand Cathedral dedicated to Grandillon the Trickster, generating favor for your Empire in the eyes of Grandillon the Trickster!

> Archbishop Delta Prophet prayed at an austere Grand Cathedral dedicated to Ptah the Watcher, generating favor for your Empire in the eyes of Ptah the Watcher!

> Archbishop Delta Prophet prayed at an impressive Grand Cathedral dedicated to Valakar the Swift, generating favor for your Empire in the eyes of Valakar the Swift!

Sheesh, I wish the guy would make his mind up and choose a faith.

SO .. just who is the unknown deity prayed to? And how do you pray to an unknown deity. I'm certain that prays to MickeyD the Foodgiver would require differing prays than say to Orkin the Pest Remover. And the wrong prays would get them a little upset (MickeyD would take any Orkin prays within his temple as an insult as you are implying his temple requires Pest Removal, and he prides himself on the cleanest temples of all the gods outside of Disney the Entertainer).

And with all of this prayer confusion, just who are my fanatics supposed to chant to as they throw themselves in waves on the enemy in battle? Why, they'll spend so much time discussing which deity to scream the glory of, that they may never get the chance to sacrifice themselves in my empires names. Tsk, Tsk.

To refute someone's earlier point: Religious leaders do NOT pray at all available temples when they get the urge to pray.  There's a separate chance for each one, and apparently the better-known temples get more attention.  I have Grand Cathedrals to fiveGods, but the first one I found has at least one guy praying to it every turn, while the others only get hit every other turn or so, and not always by the same people.

Archbishop Delta Prophet prayed at a shrine to an unknown deity, generating favor for your Empire in the eyes of an unknown deity!

> Archbishop Delta Prophet prayed at a forbidding Grand Cathedral dedicated to Kar-Tang the Reaver, generating favor for your Empire in the eyes of Kar-Tang the Reaver!

> Archbishop Delta Prophet prayed at a gloomy Grand Cathedral dedicated to Vladchek the Dark One, generating favor for your Empire in the eyes of Vladcheck the Dark One!

> Archbishop Delta Prophet prayed at a spectacular Grand Cathedral dedicated to Yamal the Lawgiver, generating favor for your Empire in the eyes of Yamal the Lawgiver!

> Archbishop Delta Prophet prayed at a wondrous Grand Cathedral dedicated to Grandillon the Trickster, generating favor for your Empire in the eyes of Grandillon the Trickster!

> Archbishop Delta Prophet prayed at an austere Grand Cathedral dedicated to Ptah the Watcher, generating favor for your Empire in the eyes of Ptah the Watcher!

> Archbishop Delta Prophet prayed at an impressive Grand Cathedral dedicated to Valakar the Swift, generating favor for your Empire in the eyes of Valakar the Swift!

SO .. just who is the unknown deity prayed to? And how do you pray to an unknown deity. I'm certain that prays to MickeyD the Foodgiver would require differing prays than say to Orkin the Pest Remover. And the wrong prays would get them a little upset (MickeyD would take any Orkin prays within his temple as an insult as you are implying his temple requires Pest Removal, and he prides himself on the cleanest temples of all the gods outside of Disney the Entertainer).

And with all of this prayer confusion, just who are my fanatics supposed to chant to as they throw themselves in waves on the enemy in battle? Why, they'll spend so much time discussing which deity to scream the glory of, that they may never get the chance to sacrifice themselves in my empires names. Tsk, Tsk.

It sounds like religion in your empire is ecumenical and the Gods don't care who you pray too as long as you do it in their temple. Perhaps they have toll booths as you enter. :D

I've done a little priest to pray to goodies received from temples analysis.

My formerly religious empire has discovered 9 Grand Cathedrals on 5 different worlds, all in the same system, and 1 shrine to unknown diety.

I've had 13 prayer hits in In the last six turns, current turn 23, involving 7 of my 9 religious leaders have had prayer hits. 4 of the 13 hits involved a priest praying to two different dieties in the same turn. Valakar received 6 prayers, Ptah 4, and Votan 3.

Coincidently, or not, Valakar has been the most generous to my exploration teams. He has provided the following: 6th Generation Medical Science tech, 2 Type A Energy Web Projectors, Mk VI Nuclear Pulse Engine tech, 9 Light Sonic Disintegrators, Mk VI Computer System tech, Attack Gunboat tech, 37 Burst Mine Racks, Brumbar Infantry Support Gun tech, and T10 Sonic Grenade tech.

My heathen empire has only 1 religious leader. No prayer hits to date, current turn 33, and have located only 3 Cathedrals and 1 Unknown Shrine. Again Valakar leads the gift givers with 12 Medium Sonic Disruptors; 14,629 Transaluminum, 32 Mk II Standard Missiles; 14,936 Jinn Crystals, 4,502 Improved Food Concentrates, 3 Mk II Heavy Torpedos, Halftrack tech, 26 Mk I Nuclear Engines, 27 ESP Deluders, and 50 Mk II Computer Systems.

It sounds like religion in your empire is ecumenical and the Gods don't care who you pray too as long as you do it in their temple. Perhaps they have toll booths as you enter. :D

I was thinking Unitarian, but I could be wrong. But I bet I offended someone....

Octus Imperium

When the priests assumed control of the government the Queen was selected from among the ArchBishops, much like the Council of Cardinals only bloodier.

So the Queen herself is tagged as a religious leader.

My formet religious empire consists of 9 religious leaders broken down by Queen, 4 Bishops, and 4 Archpriests in rank.

My other empier is 1 religious leader of Bishop rank.

It sounds like religion in your empire is ecumenical and the Gods don't care who you pray too as long as you do it in their temple. Perhaps they have toll booths as you enter.  :D

I was thinking Unitarian, but I could be wrong. But I bet I offended someone....

Octus Imperium

I was more along the lines of the new branch of church, the Schizotanarian sect. With religon being faith based and no proof of which one is the correct faith, the Schizotanarians are frightened they could be praying to the wrong god, and maybe miss out on the good after-life. :blink: So they pray at all the temples to cover their bases. Of course, trying to practice the conflicting faiths on a day to day basis is extremely difficult.

Imagine the decision to be made when you see an old-being trying to cross a busy hover-section. Kar-tang would be well pleased if you pushed the being into traffic, while Yamal would be pleased if you helped them safely cross, and Grandillion would prefer you steal their purses, while... :D In this case the true Schicotanarian will help the being to cross most of the section, waiting till the last minute to grab their purses, push them back into the traffic, and stand there watching till something happens. After which they drag the carcass back across the setion, return the purses, take a finger for sacrifice, and run off into the crowds. Your average normal day for a Schizian. :cheers:

It sounds like religion in your empire is ecumenical and the Gods don't care who you pray too as long as you do it in their temple. Perhaps they have toll booths as you enter.  :D

Octus Imperium

I was more along the lines of the new branch of church, the Schizotanarian sect. With religon being faith based and no proof of which one is the correct faith, the Schizotanarians are frightened they could be praying to the wrong god, and maybe miss out on the good after-life. :D So they pray at all the temples to cover their bases. Of course, trying to practice the conflicting faiths on a day to day basis is extremely difficult.

Imagine the decision to be made when you see an old-being trying to cross a busy hover-section. Kar-tang would be well pleased if you pushed the being into traffic, while Yamal would be pleased if you helped them safely cross, and Grandillion would prefer you steal their purses, while... :alien: In this case the true Schicotanarian will help the being to cross most of the section, waiting till the last minute to grab their purses, push them back into the traffic, and stand there watching till something happens. After which they drag the carcass back across the setion, return the purses, take a finger for sacrifice, and run off into the crowds. Your average normal day for a Schizian. :cheers:

Actually I think Yamal wants you to write the oldbeing a ticket. After all there was no crosswalk where they were walking and that would be against the law. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

I reassigned my religious empire's priests to all the planets that I've had shrine exploration hits. Got 2 religious prayers this turn.

I reassigned my hedonistic empire's only priest to the one world with shrine exploration hits in the home system and got 4 different prayers to Kar-Tang, Yamal, Valakar, and unknown.