Rolling Thunder Forums

Ship tonnage calc?

lugal

Not according to my calculations. A G class warp is 210 points, a Ranger reduces that cost by 60% to 84 points but a Mk III only generates 80 points. There may be some variability around the class G warp point cost but I would expect you would need a mid level scientitist, multiple Mk III JSSs or a facility to crack Gs consistently with a Ranger.

Don't forget racial bonuses. Warp surveys are another thing the brain blobs excel at...and even races that are not brain blobs... Bonuses from sensory abilities definitely come into play.

Thanks, I did not realize that racial bonuses could come into play here. Good data to know. :o

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm...no!? Racial Bonuses do not affect chance to SURV as far as I know and have seen thus far and is not mentioned whatsoever in the rules or the warp point survey doc

Cheers

/Locklyn

If your calculations indicate that a G can't be surveyed by a Ranger with a single Mk III JSS then I think your calculations may be in error. I too have had success with this combination. Of course, there is always the variability in each WP with some being harder and others easier etc..

I have also cracked H's and I's so far. I's really needed an installation to get, but I don't recall any of the other components. I have not seen a type J WP yet, but I anticipate finding one very shortly or even a type K.

:cheers::o:blink:

If your calculations indicate that a G can't be surveyed by a Ranger with a single Mk III JSS then I think your calculations may be in error.  I too have had success with this combination.  Of course, there is always the variability in each WP with some being harder and others easier etc..

I have also cracked H's and I's so far.  I's really needed an installation to get, but I don't recall any of the other components.  I have not seen a type J WP yet, but I anticipate finding one very shortly or even a type K.

:cheers:  :o  :blink:

I am taking the numbers from Phase Dragon's ship design program so while it is possible that they are wrong, they seemed reasonable estimates.

And the 36 multiple I mentioned earlier is their Warp Jump fuel multiple. I have not come across anything higher than an F point so far and I have had access to close to 1500 warp points. I admit that is a small sampling of the total number of warp points in this game. I have never needed to research anything past Mk III Jump Sensors because I have a plethora of explorers jumping at the chance to catch a ship and see the galaxy.

Sakarissa :o

I have cracked one F so far and have a couple more I will tackle when I can get the resources deployed. I also have three Gs so far that I have not opened.

Any WP higher than F cracked?

Any J or K WP out there?

G's pop quite nicely with even a Mk III JSS and a Ranger.

Chief Planner to Ur-Lord Tedric

Not according to my calculations. A G class warp is 210 points, a Ranger reduces that cost by 60% to 84 points but a Mk III only generates 80 points. There may be some variability around the class G warp point cost but I would expect you would need a mid level scientitist, multiple Mk III JSSs or a facility to crack Gs consistently with a Ranger.

Having seen your answer to Hobnob's reply - then that data source is probably in error. We're pretty sure, from several tests, that a G is 170, not 210 (which indeed is the figure we have extrapolated for H's) and thus our latest generation of recon ships on the frontier has Mk III's + Ranger and did two Gs in a nexus just last turn.

And we're also sure that racial bonuses don't apply to SURV orders, but the Oracle can jump in tell us that's not true!

Chief Scientist to Ur-Lord Tedric

Having seen your answer to Hobnob's reply - then that data source is probably in error.  We're pretty sure, from several tests, that a G is 170, not 210 (which indeed is the figure we have extrapolated for H's) and thus our latest generation of recon ships on the frontier has Mk III's + Ranger and did two Gs in a nexus just last turn.

And we're also sure that racial bonuses don't apply to SURV orders, but the Oracle can jump in tell us that's not true!

I've been opening G's with JSS Mk III and a Ranger for a long time. Based on my G estimate of about 200 I figured my racial bonuses would be the deciding factor... Could be wrong of course.

:o

Though, I have had several successes with Mk II's and characters that didn't seem possible without some extra bonus. I guess it could be randomness in warp point "toughness". It seems perfectly reasonable that racial bonuses would affect this, but that's never any guarantee.

-LX

I have cracked one F so far and have a couple more I will tackle when I can get the resources deployed. I also have three Gs so far that I have not opened.

Any WP higher than F cracked?

Any J or K WP out there?

G's pop quite nicely with even a Mk III JSS and a Ranger.

Chief Planner to Ur-Lord Tedric

Having seen your answer to Hobnob's reply - then that data source is probably in error. We're pretty sure, from several tests, that a G is 170, not 210 (which indeed is the figure we have extrapolated for H's) and thus our latest generation of recon ships on the frontier has Mk III's + Ranger and did two Gs in a nexus just last turn.

Thanks, this is good information to know. Now if I can just get one of my Explorers to Ranger. :o

WOW! So much great info shared. Thank you guys.

I dont want to do a ANZ or go thru a years worth of turns, so I'll ask. What is the output of a MK2 Fusion engine, and Fusion transwarp drive?

I know that I can make mistakes, but I have checked several sources and they all show that Fusion Jump drives are 1000 tons. If they are in fact not 1000 tons, then please post your source of this information so I can correct my data files.

BTW - I am aware that Jump Drives do get larger when you jump to a new engine type, but all indications are that they stay the same size within a type or series ie.,

Nuclear drives = 100 tons

Fusion drives = 1000 tons

Antimatter drives = 5000 tons

:cheers::o

I know that I can make mistakes, but I have checked several sources and they all show that Fusion Jump drives are 1000 tons.  If they are in fact not 1000 tons, then please post your source of this information so I can correct my data files.

BTW - I am aware that Jump Drives do get larger when you jump to a new engine type, but all indications are that they stay the same size within a type or series ie.,

Nuclear drives = 100 tons

Fusion drives = 1000 tons

Antimatter drives = 5000 tons

:cheers:  :o

I am not sure if you are referring to my post but I believe your data is correct. However, I am referring to the Fusion Engine, not Fusion Jump Engine. I thought that lugal was asking about the Fusion Engine. Sorry if that is not clear.

PS the Fusion Engine is 100 T in mass whereas the Fusion Jump Engine is 1000 T.