Rolling Thunder Forums

Ship tonnage calc?

lugal

I've had a lot of luck knocking out WP's with Mk IV JSS and no characters.

As have I. The occassional E and F fail, but am now doubling up on Mk IV's and hope to have better success. And there will be a quad out there with a character to boost the chances even further for F and G's.

Octus Imperium

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine calculates WP bubble and AP rating but you still have to put in the # of engines rather than the AP. 

:D  :)

I'll send you mine when I get all the math done.

But I have one more question for everybody.

What is the equation for calculating fuel concumption per ton and jump engine output? I looked in all the RTG files on the FTP server and didnt see any. I just saw the table of type of warp points.

Divide your ship tonnage by 1000 and round down and then multiply that by the warp point rating (A=1, B=2, C=4, D=9, E=16, etc.). That should give you the fuel consumption.

One last question. What is the formula for calculating warp bubble and what is it effect on fuel consumption. And what is the formula for calculating the exact fuel usage for traversing the warp points.

I got warp output, what the hell is that good for? And what does it do for my warp bubble?

Mine calculates WP bubble and AP rating but you still have to put in the # of engines rather than the AP. 

What is the equation for calculating fuel concumption per ton and jump engine output? I looked in all the RTG files on the FTP server and didnt see any. I just saw the table of type of warp points.

Divide your ship tonnage by 1000 and round down and then multiply that by the warp point rating (A=1, B=2, C=4, D=9, E=16, etc.). That should give you the fuel consumption.

One last question. What is the formula for calculating warp bubble and what is it effect on fuel consumption. And what is the formula for calculating the exact fuel usage for traversing the warp points.

I got warp output, what the hell is that good for? And what does it do for my warp bubble?

Warp Bubble: Divide the ship mass by (# of jump engines * warp output for the jump engine). You round down to the nearest integer.

Fuel consumption. Divide the ship mass by 1000 and multiply that by the fuel consumption for the warp point class (A=1, B=2, C=4, D=9, E=16, etc.). That is the fuel consumption for a jump.

Warp Output is used to determine warp bubble size. If you divide the warp bubble rating of the warp point by the ship warp bubble size, this will tell you how many of that ship class can traverse the warp point in a single combat round. Outside of combat I am not aware of any impact the warp bublle rating of a particular ship class has on the game.

Warp Bubble: Divide the ship mass by (# of jump engines * warp output for the jump engine). You round down to the nearest integer.

Fuel consumption. Divide the ship mass by 1000 and multiply that by the fuel consumption for the warp point class (A=1, B=2, C=4, D=9, E=16, etc.). That is the fuel consumption for a jump.

Warp Output is used to determine warp bubble size. If you divide the warp bubble rating of the warp point by the ship warp bubble size, this will tell you how many of that ship class can traverse the warp point in a single combat round. Outside of combat I am not aware of any impact the warp bublle rating of a particular ship class has on the game.

THanks for replying. But, I got a ship that is 233k tons and a Type A WP to pass thru, comes to 203 fuel consumed. Type C 812 fuel consummed. My god! Jump engine output has to factor in somewhere. Or I have to have all my ships with at least 100k tons of fuel!

:blink:  :P

Thanks for replying. But, I got a ship that is 233k tons and a Type A WP to pass thru, comes to 203 fuel consumed. Type C 812 fuel consummed. My god! Jump engine output has to factor in somewhere. Or I have to have all my ships with at least 100k tons of fuel!

:D

Nope ... Jump Drive size only affects Warp Bubble, which only matters for Warp Point Assaults. A Mk I Nuclear Jump Drive is as (in)efficient as a Mk IV Antimatter Jump Drive when it comes to fuel consumption. You'd better start building refueling stations, tankers or have Fuel Shuttles and some nice Gas Giants to refuel at.

-SK :)

To me, that sounds like somehting that needs to be addressed by Pete. We have to have some sort of tech that helps fuel conservation.

To me, that sounds like somehting that needs to be addressed by Pete. We have to have some sort of tech that helps fuel conservation.

Well, we known that eventually on the tech tree there are items like Planetary Gates. So, once your tech is high enough, you do start to learn how to maniuplate space time to bend it to your will. I suspect if there are any changes in fuel usage through a WP, it will not occur till the high end techs are reached. It takes X amount of fuel to allow the transit of Y tons of mass through a Z WP. SO until you learn enough about how wormholes work, you can't change that aspect of space time. Makes sense to me.

I am completely fine with the fuel system as it is.  Just one more thing on the complexity list that forces one to plan ahead.  It is also nice when the force bearing down on your front dorr has to take a few turns out to refuel.  Nice..

:(

Its even better when you have forces at all the local refulling points forcing your opponent to make the choice of a larger logistics force or lose some of those forces taking a refulling point. :D

I am completely fine with the fuel system as it is.  Just one more thing on the complexity list that forces one to plan ahead.  It is also nice when the force bearing down on your front dorr has to take a few turns out to refuel.  Nice..

:D

Its even better when you have forces at all the local refulling points forcing your opponent to make the choice of a larger logistics force or lose some of those forces taking a refulling point. ;)

Yup ... either bring your own or take it locally (by force). Otherwise your just target practice ...

:cheers:

-SK :(