Rolling Thunder Forums

Naval Combat Primer

RTGPete

Woah there,  surely that would make SFG next to useless? I thought they currently applied their value equally to all the areas they protected against? It would then be cheaper and more efficient to have a specific defence against each damage type (some of us already have good defences in most areas)

It depends on the rating of the SFG. If it's high enough, just the fraction that applied to a particular weapon type would still be effective. The thing is, it has to be good enough that simple armor isn't so much better to make the SFG pointless, but not so good that it's better than a specific defense of similar tech level. There is no way for us to judge until we see the numbers.

I am guessing that you have to research it up to Type C before it becomes useful. Which pretty much applies to all areas of technology. Mk I, Mk II, Type A, and Type B systems aren’t very good. In some cases they are pretty useless. The typical strength to weight ratios become cost effective and efficient at Mk III and Type C.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete,

When you put out the next revision of this document, could you include a sections that more further explain how the following works:

1) Ground base combat: I've heard that it behaves similar to space combat, but what effect (if any) does atmosphere play on weapon performance, both incoming and outbound? Do "subterranean" and "aquatic" tech breakthrought have any affect on groundbase offensive and defense?

2) Effects of damage: How does damage affect ship/fleet effectiveness? I mean, lets say you lose 10% integrity in a particular ship/fleet. Does it's capabilities (maneuver, CIDS, offensive systems, sensors, computers) degrade by 10% effectiveness? Will you lose the ability to traverse WP's? Are there thresholds where you see practical effects, like the 25%, 50% and 75% level of integrity loss? A better understanding would be helpful.

3) Repairing damage: Right now, I guess it sounds like damage "heals over time". However, are there ways to speed the healing process up? What kind of time elapse will heal what kind of damage? What are the "degrees of damage" a ship/fleet can have? Again, a better understanding would be helpful.

That's my 0.02 for now. Thanks.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Pete,

How are you coming along with this? Alot of us have been adding questions lately which would be great to get answered.

Cheers

/Locklyn

• 3 weeks later...
In another thread there was question on what happens to Fighter orders when two fleets with disimilar orders are merged together. Since the Order of Battle for each fleet could also be different, I would think it might be a good subject to discuss in this primer. :drunk:

Yeah, what he said. :cheers:

-SK :)

Upon further thought I realized that what heppens is obvious, the surviving fleet is the one whose orders are followed. If you are moving everything from Fllet A to Fleet B then it will be Fleet B's FOB that will be followed. The same should go for the Fleet ROEs. In the case of there being multiple fleets on a side, I would assume that each fleet's orders would be followed but that is someting that Pete will have to verify.

• 2 months later...

I second that BUMP

/Locklyn

Fellas, what are the current bumps about? Specific additions, or just an update in general to the Naval Combat Primer that answers some of the issues mentioned since its release? Just looking for some clarification :oops:

The last Primer is a rough draft, not complete, and has some holes in it. Player guesses are helpful, but in the end, just that.

I believe that in the last draft there was language about some of the stuff needing to be implemented as the defensive values were not exactly what Pete wanted. That was to say that the draft was for a system that included the, still to be made, defensive changes.

I think we all would like to know if those changes have taken place and we haven't noticed it or if they are being phased in slowly or something else entirely.

If the changes are not being made then the last draft has little value as it is based on revised defensive systems operations.

So the big questions are;

1) Are the changes being made in defensive systems?

2) When can we look at the Naval Combat Primer as a finished document?

I think that covers the major points. :D

:oops::huh::D;)

Edited by hobknob

I believe that in the last draft there was language about some of the stuff needing to be implemented as the defensive values were not exactly what Pete wanted.  That was to say that the draft was for a system that included the, still to be made, defensive changes. 

I think we all would like to know if those changes have taken place and we haven't noticed it or if they are being phased in slowly or something else entirely.

If the changes are not being made then the last draft has little value as it is based on revised defensive systems operations.

So the big questions are;

1) Are the changes being made in defensive systems?

2) When can we look at the Naval Combat Primer as a finished document?

I think that covers the major points.  :D

:oops:  :huh:  :D  ;)

Roger. Understood. Thanks for the clarification.

• 4 weeks later...
:( LOCKLYN DOES LIVE?

*Wheezing Sound of Black Life Support Mask*

Yes I do live! I sent you an intergalactic mail way back and am still awaiting an response to it? Did it fall short and end up awry? Pray tell and I shall resend!

Life is much better now, less medicines, less hospital bed and in general less of the bad things more of the good ones so now I again have the energy to harass pete to give us complete rules :pirate2:)

Cheers

/Locklyn