Rolling Thunder Forums

Turn sheet change requested

I wish that there was a way for the ship commander to decide NOT to keep trying to process orders if he was not able to make it thru the WP due to lack of fuel, one-ways, lack of surveying, etc. Rather than waste the AP trying to keep going thru, he could LFE or something.

You mean take out their frustration about some quartermaster somewhere not giving them enough fuel, by blowing up random pieces of junk?

Keep them busy I suppose.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently, all pop centers are listed in order of database number.  I'm wondering if it might not be more useful to sort by planet names, and -then- database numbers.  This would help management of those planets with multiple population centers.

-Sha'thar

I currently have 17 colonies spread across 4 systems, although only 4 colonies have any industry at the moment and a further 2 are used for trading purposes only. I would find such a change in sort sequence to be immensely helpful, and I commend this motion to the House ... er ... to RTG.

The combining of Cargo Report with Fleet Report would also be something I would find very helpful.

Can RTG let us know how soon either or both of these improvements could be implemented?

Len Lorek

Empire 4710

The Bush Administration

[A friendly race of space-faring bushes]

I think I have upwards of 30 colonies that actually grow and having things sorted by planet could be nice.

I am fine with the current Asterisk by fleets which lack fuel. I find color coding to be rather useless since I use partial print outs to plan turns and they are not in color.

I too would like to see fleet and cargo information combined, but I beleive Pete has mentioned several times that this is not likely to happen. I only mention this again for the benefit of those that have not read every message in the past 3 years.

:(:unsure::wacko:

I only mention this again for the benefit of those that have not read every message in the past 3 years.

:drunk:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Much appreciated Hobnob!

:cheers:

Having read every message (except for that aborted parliment/league/congress or whatever) in the past 2.2 years or so. However, the recall synapses are only partially effective. So thanks for the 'reminder'!

Octus

:cheers: <==== synapse lubricant, right?

I too would like to see fleet and cargo information combined, but I beleive Pete has mentioned several times that this is not likely to happen. I only mention this again for the benefit of those that have not read every message in the past 3 years.

Thanks Hobnob. It is too bad as I think RTG is missing a chance to reduce cost (sort of) and to add value to the turn sheet at the same time. However I am sure that Pete has more important fish to fry and I am OK with that too. :drunk:

I would also champion the idea of a combined printout for fleets and cargo. However, I have other issues that would be more of a savings. I am sure that my fleet printouts only total about 10-15 pages total and reducing those pages to a few less would not save that much.

Now that the wishing well is open let me kick in a few of my own.

I would like to see legendary characters also listed with the fleet that they are assigned to. THis won't save any paper but will make my turn somewhat easier to complete.

I would also like to find some way to compress convoy route print outs. I have mentioned this to Pete and he is sympathetic but there seems to be little to be done. My turn is eclipsing 400 turns and seems to increase by about 40 pages with every new convoy route that is established. I don't have any good ideas on the subject so I doubt that anything will be or can be done about it, just wishing though. :cheers:

:cheers::cheers::drunk:

I would like to see legendary characters also listed with the fleet that they are assigned to.  THis won't save any paper but will make my turn somewhat easier to complete.

I would also like to find some way to compress convoy route print outs.  I have mentioned this to Pete and he is sympathetic but there seems to be little to be done.  My turn is eclipsing 400 turns and seems to increase by about 40 pages with every new convoy route that is established.  I don't have any good ideas on the subject so I doubt that anything will be or can be done about it, just wishing though.  :)

It would be nice if characters were listed in the fleet report, similar to the way EXPL status was added. Just listing the ranks would be sufficient.

You can't be creating convoy routes that take up 40 pages each. You must mean the convoy route execution is producing lots of output. I don't really care how long the turn results are. It's all bits and storage is cheap. I'm more concerned with how efficiently I can access and utilize the information in the report.

As has been suggested in the past, I would love to also receive a data file containing the raw data represented in the turn results report. Some sort of open format such as XML would be best. That would save me a tremendous amount of time. The PDF is great for reading, but not good for databasing. Those so inclined could create their own custom reports from the data. I'm sure people would soon be sharing software written to process the data files.

If you have a couple of 40 and 80 AP Fuel Skimmers on SKIM/OC routes on strategic gas giants you would be surprised at how quickly that adds to pages and pages...As soon as one hits Mk II or Mk III Antimatter or Total Conversion Engines, quite ridicoulous APs are quite possible.

Cheers

/Locklyn

And what I really would like to see is the possibility to Exclude certain Empires from Alien Sighting Reports on turnsheets. We're four empires working very closely and our fleets are all over each others systems which means I get tons of sighting reports from their convoy routes etc...now this is by all means way down on my wishlist for things to be activated in SNROE.

/Locklyn

Actually, I am building 80 AP freighters and skimmers. EAch one goes into its own convoy route that will then execute a short convoy route of 6 orders or so until all AP's are used up. This will generally take up to 20 pages per fleet.

So, yes I suppose I am creating convoy routes that can take up to 20 pages each and a couple of them would be 40 pages.

:cheers::cheers::drunk:

And what I really would like to see is the possibility to Exclude certain Empires from Alien Sighting Reports on turnsheets. We're four empires working very closely and our fleets are all over each others systems which means I get tons of sighting reports from their convoy routes etc...now this is by all means way down on my wishlist for things to be activated in SNROE.

That's a good idea. But I would prefer if the sightings were all gathered in to their own section instead. Then you could ignore them most of the time, but have the option to always go back and check if something comes up. The order block number that the sighting occurred on should be indicated so you knew about when in the turn the sighting took place. This shifting of ally sightings to it's own section could be made automatic for all empires you have an Alliance or Total Alliance with. That would avoid Pete adding another table and creating special orders for editing it. Sightings for other empires should remain as they are now since it's important information and knowing exactly when it occurred during your turn is also important.

With most empires always growing, the turn results will continue to grow over time. There are a lot of places in the turn results where reducing the output of a particular order would save many pages since it's repeated over and over. For example, the SKIM order which many people loop through many times currently reads like this.:

SKIM: 118

Fleet # 118 at Stygian-5 deploys Fuel Shuttles as available and begins to skim for fuel at its current location. All ships are capable of skimming if they have at least one Fuel Shuttle present.

200 tons of Fuel is recovered as a result of skimming operations

The commander of Fleet # 118 jettisons excess Fuel that could not fit into his Fuel Tankage (200 Fuel is ditched)

Proposal to Pete: Add a "terse" flag that experienced players could turn on. It would reduce the verbiage of some orders. In the SKIM example, it might reduce to.:

SKIM: 118 - 200 Fuel skimmed from Stygian-5. 200 excess Fuel jettisoned.

Another proposed change for the "terse" flag would be to eliminate the warnings associated with LC orders such as this.:

** The Imperial Port Authority at Population Group # 33491 indicates that he has no Transaluminum in Imperial Warehouses

Care must be taken when deciding to eliminate output that includes useful data. Dropping the LC warnings would be about as far as I would go. Otherwise most will not choose the "terse" option for fear of missing something useful. If Pete wants to get fancy, he could have separate flags for different levels of terseness.

Another small thing, on colony reports if the colorful descriptions on damaged installations could all be listed as nonfunctional. That way they would be separated from the "real" or working installations when checking for changes.

Also, I would like to state that I really like the idea of a combined fleet report including characters assigned.

I'd be happy if the Data results (.mdb) file was a little more robust (i.e. contained more information). While it's not an "open" format like XML, it is already a database file that could be used in conjuction with a homebrewed front-end to spit out just the information you want. :D

I'm sure that given enough time Pete could add all kinds of nifty filters like Sighting Levels, terse Convoy Routes, etc. I'd love to have a combined Fleet Report as well with Route Status, Fuel/Cargo/Drone/Fighter Status, Characters, etc. However, unless something has changed, Pete can't combine the two Fleet Reports into a single report. :blink:

On the other hand, it's almost time for the jolly fat Christian to give out SRPs again, so I'm happy. :P

-SK :)

• 3 weeks later...