Rolling Thunder Forums

From Panzers to Planet Crackers

Krysia's Krusader

Lot of similarities to SE IV. I just play solo, so I can't speak about high power network players.

Thanks. That does tell me a lot about SN: ROTE, then.

Concerning SE IV; if you ever want to play against human opponents - go for space mines, and fighter technology early.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think to help yourself decide you should probably check into alliances. You don't actually have to join becuase they usually are friendly to new players and give out all kinds of info.

Rich

Okay.

Tell me where the alliance list(s) can be obtained.

Lot of similarities to SE IV. I just play solo, so I can't speak about high power network players.

Thanks. That does tell me a lot about SN: ROTE, then.

Concerning SE IV; if you ever want to play against human opponents - go for space mines, and fighter technology early.

OT: Isn't Space Empires V coming out soon?

Words of caution;

Racial design and luck of the draw on your HW planet may throw a twist on your plans.

In Snova, say you want to be a colonizer race and have your race spread to the stars.  You choose certain characteristics that you believe will allow you to do so.  You get your first turn and find that your race is on a HW that has Hot Gases for atmosphere, 500 Kelvin temperature, and Molten Zinc for oceans.  You now realize that the planets most suitable for you to colonize are Gas Giants, but the temps on those are 2000 Kelvin; way too hot.  Your colonization options are limited at this point depending on what you opted for.  As far as the oceans go, on a personal note, between three empires and the time invested in the game I know of only one other planet that has Molten Zinc, and that is word of mouth from another player.

Okay...

I would have thought, that you had some choice, as for the type of enviroment your racial homeworld is.

So then these are assigned randomly?

If so, I've looked at the rules, and have come with the following, as to things I should look for immediately as favorable (or not), upon set up. Tell me where I have made a mistake, please.

- Star Type: Class F, Class G, Class K, with Class M being the best of all.

- Planet Class: Terrestrial

- Atmosphere: Not too sure, but any one that is labeled as "non-irritant" would suffice, I suppose?

- Hydrographic Percentage: I have no clue.

- Terrain Type: I have no clue.

- Axial Tilt: From 10 - 30 degrees.

- Gravity: No idea. If someone can tell me what the average is, I'll use that.

- Micoroorganisms: Harmless.

- Polutants: None, Normal, even Harmful seems acceptable.

- Planetary Resources: There's too mant to list. Hopefully I'll get a small amount of each, and be happy with that, if the rest of the above criteria are within acceptable norms.

KK,

Your starting HW is totally random in atmosphere etc etc etc thus if you plan to play in the long run I would spend the money on 3-4 identical setups and choose the best one (doh! why didn't I do that?)

Cheers

/Locklyn

KK,

It depends on what you're trying to do. As Locklyn pointed out, you're Homeworld and Homesystem are completely random.

You may have a race with High Temperature Tolerance, which is good. But if you start on a Molten Metal, Hot Rockball homeworld, there aren't going to be too many "hotter" planets, so your special ability is somewhat neutralized.

The only "planets" that are fairly consistent in their make-up are Asteroid Fields and Gas Giants, niether of which are going to be your homeworld.

I'd go with Locklyn's suggestion with adder, don't take any handicaps with regard to Colonization. It is just too hard to overcome later. <_<

-SK :cheers:

All starting HW features are lovely for your own life form. I have seen worlds with high pollution, radiation and microbes.

The rule book says a lot of things that may or may not be true depending onhow you look at them. If you are not into building lots of screens you should heed the rule book and big as large as possible. There are certain eficiancies to be had by building fewer large ships. Smaller ships can be picked off one at a time, reducing your force prematurely. There is also the problem with ships going through WP's. You can always get at least 1 ship through so building a few really big ships will make sure that all your force is through the WP in short order. Of course this is not always a good thing either.

These niceties really aren't important for a starting postion as you will have plenty of time to get stuff figured out in the initial months of the game.

I will leave this word of caution. Trust the advice of this board before the rule book if there are conflicts. The voices here are that of experience and trial and error. There are pleny of places where the rule book is vague. In these places the veterans will generally have the skinny on what actually takes place in game. The rule book was updated once early in the game, but has not been touched in 2 years. During that time there have been mods to the game that are not in the rule book.

Keep the good questions coming.

Enjoy.

:beer::cheers::drunk:

KK,

If you take any negatives, make it something that won't hurt you down the road. Slower repodcutive rate cuts into your ongoing industrial buildup and colonization. Being sensitive to any environment not only hurts you (to what degree is not certain) in combat but can stop dead colonization on a world with a rich iron deposite.

There are ways of countering negatives you might take on setup through research but some are verylenghty in time and take away from other research you will want to do.

Lord Uriel

- Planetary Resources: There's too mant to list. Hopefully I'll get a small amount of each, and be happy with that, if the rest of the above criteria are within acceptable norms.

Iron, you can't get enough. And crystals. Light metals, industrial chemicals, gaseous elements, and petrochemicals wouldn't hurt either.

Iron, you can't get enough. And crystals. Light metals, industrial chemicals, gaseous elements, and petrochemicals wouldn't hurt either.

Lumber is also highly valued and, at least for me, hard to get. You need it for building structures.

You need lots of resources and you will never have enough of some of them. For those you convert from RAW. I have found that my biggest hopr is to have some large deposits, 500+, of anything that I use. This frees up RAW for other stuff that I can't find. So, it isn't so important to specifically find iron or crystals but it is important to find more useful potentials in a number of items.

:beer::drunk:

You need lots of resources and you will never have enough of some of them.  For those you convert from RAW.  I have found that my biggest hopr is to have some large deposits, 500+, of anything that I use.  This frees up RAW for other stuff that I can't find.  So, it isn't so important to specifically find iron or crystals but it is important to find more useful potentials in a number of items.

:drunk:  :cheers:

Only if you can get to it. If you don't have prodigious Colonizing bonuses, colonizing any world that scans as having over Moderate Attrition levels is problematic at best. For some of us, if it isn't Low Attrition or better, it isn't worth colonizing (even if it has a 500+ resource).

FWIW,

-SK :beer:

KK,

Your starting HW is totally random in atmosphere etc etc etc thus if you plan to play in the long run I would spend the money on 3-4 identical setups and choose the best one (doh! why didn't I do that?)

Cheers

/Locklyn

The only problem with that is if you do all setups on a single turn you are dooming your immediate neighborhood to be a pretty dull place for some time. Although may be appealing to some since it guarantees some easy aquisitions (and you know the system names of the targets).

You need lots of resources and you will never have enough of some of them.  For those you convert from RAW.  I have found that my biggest hopr is to have some large deposits, 500+, of anything that I use.  This frees up RAW for other stuff that I can't find.  So, it isn't so important to specifically find iron or crystals but it is important to find more useful potentials in a number of items.

:drunk:  :cheers:

Only if you can get to it. If you don't have prodigious Colonizing bonuses, colonizing any world that scans as having over Moderate Attrition levels is problematic at best. For some of us, if it isn't Low Attrition or better, it isn't worth colonizing (even if it has a 500+ resource).

FWIW,

-SK :beer:

True. However, some Moderate worlds are colonizable if you are willing to invest in Domed Cities, TTCs or DUCKs to reduce atmospheric and/or temp effects. In addition, you can raise your birth rate which is easier to do on a colony than on the HW.