Rolling Thunder Forums

From Panzers to Planet Crackers

Krysia's Krusader

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't as far as I know.  Your turn will only get larger.  One of mine is over 500 pages these days.

;)

You might be able to get Pete to manually delete the ones you don't want if it's a real problem for you. But as Hobknob said, get used to growing turns. Minor things like that used to bother me as well but now I just print out the inital orders results, production runs and tech report, and reference other stuff in the pdf when needed.

You can't as far as I know.  Your turn will only get larger.  One of mine is over 500 pages these days.

;)

You might be able to get Pete to manually delete the ones you don't want if it's a real problem for you. But as Hobknob said, get used to growing turns. Minor things like that used to bother me as well but now I just print out the inital orders results, production runs and tech report, and reference other stuff in the pdf when needed.

I print out even less than that. I occassionally print out the stockpile for my HW and once in a gerat while I might print out another page or two of information. Otherwise I don't find the length of the file a great burden other than to scroll down and read all of the information. Mine is approaching 100 pages. :cheers: Maybe when I get to 500, like hobknob, this will be a bigger issue.

My only concern with the size of my report is that it will eventually get so large as to choke my ISP mail gateway and start bouncing back to RTG. :cheers:

At the moment, I have no fear. No major wars. Not too many colonies. Not too many neighbors, for that matter. :cheers: Since this game is open-ended, who knows what the future brings, eh?

-SK ;)

It is possible to work straight from the PDF's. I've never printed a single page of SNROTE material. You might find going paperless more convenient if you run dual monitors. A second monitor will probably pay for itself over time in paper/ink/toner savings. For non-docked laptops, a high resolution wide screen can help too as you can put things side by side on the LCD.

Most decent ISP's set the Maxsize (M) to 10000 so you should be good until your PDF reaches about 10 megabytes. A bit less actually due to encoding overhead of attachments. If your ISP is stingy, Google's gmail accepts up to 10MB emails, or maybe that's a good excuse to find a more reasonable ISP.

It is possible to work straight from the PDF's.  I've never printed a single page of SNROTE material.  You might find going paperless more convenient if you run dual monitors.  A second monitor will probably pay for itself over time in paper/ink/toner savings.  For non-docked laptops, a high resolution wide screen can help too as you can put things side by side on the LCD. 

Agreed.

I haven't printed anything regarding SN in (probably) a couple of years. I run everything on my laptop (17" screen) using Adobe Acrobat to bookmark and highlight information. (Plus MSWord & Excel and Canvas).

<igh>

Am I the only one who loves paper? The touch? The feel? The comfort of a good book in your lap or under your arm? Dropping the 60 pages printed from the last turn all over the floor, thankful that the great, all knowing GM's have at least numbered the flipping pages? Ah, the satisfaction of scattering papers across the desk, to look at and reference and enjoy. Memories of taking up a whole, large library table in college working on Physical Chemistry homework assignments, paper and reference books and calculator (not THAT old that I used a slide rule!) scattered across more than 4'x8' of well used real estate! How wonderful!

I still find using paper the most convenient. New 'puter is dual screen capable, so MAYBE I'll grow up and go paperless............nah!

Just be selective in which pages you print out is my recommendation. And even more careful about which you save, month after month after month.

Octus :D

<igh>

Am I the only one who loves paper? The touch? The feel? The comfort of a good book in your lap or under your arm? Dropping the 60 pages printed from the last turn all over the floor, thankful that the great, all knowing GM's have at least numbered the flipping pages? Ah, the satisfaction of scattering papers across the desk, to look at and reference and enjoy. Memories of taking up a whole, large library table in college working on Physical Chemistry homework assignments, paper and reference books and calculator (not THAT old that I used a slide rule!) scattered across more than 4'x8' of well used real estate! How wonderful!

I still find using paper the most convenient. New 'puter is dual screen capable, so MAYBE I'll grow up and go paperless............nah!

Just be selective in which pages you print out is my recommendation. And even more careful about which you save, month after month after month.

Octus :D

I like paper if only because I sit behind the computer enough as it is for work and other gaming pastimes. It's nice to bust out a turn on the couch in front of NFL or History Channel. (I would add Battlestar Galactica to the list but can't concentrate on the turn... Season Premier 1-6-06!)

Depends on what I do, but generally, when I do print out, it is only the Fleet report (not cargo) and the colony/industry reports. I still use the computer to reference the other parts as I do my turn. Also, I usually print 2 turn pages per 'real' paper page to save paper and ink. (oh, and I always use scrap paper to print on)

:D

I have to have paper to do turns. It is entirely too difficult to make notes on the computer. As soon as you move to the next page your notes are meaningless and they make a real mess on the screen. :ranting:

I never get to send in all the orders that I have to do so it is a process of deciding what each fleet could/should do and then pairing down the number of orders to match the budget for the turn cycle.

Besides, it's the paper that is much more mobile and lets me work on my turns when I am away from any computing resources. My 17" widescreen laptop is great for computing, but lacking in the mobility area somewhat.

:D:ranting::ranting:

:ranting:

Paper's still just too useful.....but not all of it.

We print the Characters and Promotions and the fleet list (the short one) - each element is checked off as it goes in the spreadsheet....the fleet list is checked off as we do their orders - on paper, before typing in.

The Stockpile is printed out (most of it) before entering in the spreadsheet.

The Research page is printed, analysed and the results entered in the spreadsheet.

The turn is gone through on screen with various bits copied to the, you guessed it - spreadsheet :ranting: - with all system data saved to documents - which are hyperlinked to the spreadsheet

When I get the next turn - and check through all the orders - then the order sheet and the previous turn are recycled.

Playing without paper is possible - but without the spreadsheet - not a snowball's chance in hell!!! :D

Lord High Seneschal to Ur-Lord Tedric

:ranting:

Paper's still just too useful.....but not all of it.

We print the Characters and Promotions and the fleet list (the short one) - each element is checked off as it goes in the spreadsheet....the fleet list is checked off as we do their orders - on paper, before typing in.

The Stockpile is printed out (most of it) before entering in the spreadsheet.

The Research page is printed, analysed and the results entered in the spreadsheet.

The turn is gone through on screen with various bits copied to the, you guessed it - spreadsheet :ranting:  - with all system data saved to documents - which are hyperlinked to the spreadsheet

When I get the next turn - and check through all the orders - then the order sheet and the previous turn are recycled.

Playing without paper is possible - but without the spreadsheet - not a snowball's chance in hell!!! :D

Lord High Seneschal to Ur-Lord Tedric

I agree. Spreadsheets are invaluable and I edon't know how I would be able to run my empire without them.