Rolling Thunder Forums

Main weapon system?

rotor911

Which is your main weapon system?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Try to put a happy spin on it. Maybe he is slaving away in the bit mines fixing all of the other things you ... err ... mentioned (yeah, that's a good euphamism) were malfunctioning, absent or otherwise acting in a way contradictory to the documentation or board statements by RTG.

Yes, I tried that in an email to both Pete and Russ last week where our alliance was worried over the fact that alot of us had outstanding email questions going two or even three turns back with turn related questions, either bugs, problems or "Huh, it shouldn't be doing that" issues and that we were worried that one has to call Pete to actually get answers which all players can't or won't and surely shouldn't have to either. Also we were worried over the increasing number of techs found to be not working at higher levels and a general concern over the tech database, ie can you be sure that all paths open up when you reach the critical levels or is it a gamble if it is working or not, like with cloaked ships not working at all, only way to have that detected is to have been spotted, hope you weren't planning on using those cloaks for actually espionage!? A fat tanker with no sensors will spot a cloaked ship right now.

I also expressed a hope that the lack of response on the boards and emails were indications of work on the problems and various documents like the rulebook and the naval combat document since there is right now no feedback at all on the boards on what is going on with the game or its future.

I am still waiting for an answer to the email...

Cheers

/Locklyn

Try emailing Russ. He is a bit more responsive and will relay your message to Pete. :cheers:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try to put a happy spin on it. Maybe he is slaving away in the bit mines fixing all of the other things you ... err ... mentioned (yeah, that's a good euphamism) were malfunctioning, absent or otherwise acting in a way contradictory to the documentation or board statements by RTG.

Yes, I tried that in an email to both Pete and Russ last week where our alliance was worried over the fact that alot of us had outstanding email questions going two or even three turns back with turn related questions, either bugs, problems or "Huh, it shouldn't be doing that" issues and that we were worried that one has to call Pete to actually get answers which all players can't or won't and surely shouldn't have to either. Also we were worried over the increasing number of techs found to be not working at higher levels and a general concern over the tech database, ie can you be sure that all paths open up when you reach the critical levels or is it a gamble if it is working or not, like with cloaked ships not working at all, only way to have that detected is to have been spotted, hope you weren't planning on using those cloaks for actually espionage!? A fat tanker with no sensors will spot a cloaked ship right now.

I also expressed a hope that the lack of response on the boards and emails were indications of work on the problems and various documents like the rulebook and the naval combat document since there is right now no feedback at all on the boards on what is going on with the game or its future.

I am still waiting for an answer to the email...

Cheers

/Locklyn

Try emailing Russ. He is a bit more responsive and will relay your message to Pete. :cheers:

How come missiles didnt come up on that poll? They are very effective weapons at the higher

gen levels and some of them allow massive damage to be dealt out at EXTREME range.

Try emailing Russ. He is a bit more responsive and will relay your message to Pete.

I did, I sent it to both of them.

/Locklyn

I agree with the thread starter on this. If you are active in the game you are always researching some form of missile weaponry for range and ALWAYS Drones or Fighters since they're first through WPs and thus are a must.

Cheers

/Locklyn

I agree with the thread starter on this. If you are active in the game you are always researching some form of missile weaponry for range and ALWAYS Drones or Fighters since they're first through WPs and thus are a must.

Cheers

/Locklyn

Though once more, this is another aspect of the combat system which fails to make sense. Your ships need to go through the WP based on the WP size and warp bubbles around the ships. One the other hand, 10,000 fighters will instantly transition through the WP and into battle on the other side ... despite lacking any warp drives ... leaving your enemy with nothing to shoot at but still transiting screen ships and a swarm of fighter/drones. Good thing CIDS is so effective to the point of overkill.

Is that CIDS, in general, or CIDS of comparable effectiveness?  In other words, how effective are Blaster CIDS [20t, Adequate] against Attack Fighters [100t, Good]?  As opposed to the same tonnage of 6cm Gatling CIDS [20t, Good]?  :drunk:

-SK  :beer:

I think the answer to the second and third questions could be determined by looking at the Naval Combat document. In the case cited above,assuming that the fighters possessed no special engine technology, the Blaster CIDS will shoot down 2T per weapon and the 6 cm Gatling CIDS will shoot down 4T per.

Is that CIDS, in general, or CIDS of comparable effectiveness?  In other words, how effective are Blaster CIDS [20t, Adequate] against Attack Fighters [100t, Good]?  As opposed to the same tonnage of 6cm Gatling CIDS [20t, Good]?   :drunk:

I think the answer to the second and third questions could be determined by looking at the Naval Combat document. In the case cited above,assuming that the fighters possessed no special engine technology, the Blaster CIDS will shoot down 2T per weapon and the 6 cm Gatling CIDS will shoot down 4T per.

Thanks Ali-t-akua ... I should do that. :cheers:

-SK :beer:

I know plenty of folks who are not into fighters or drones.  They are very expensive and easily lost.

Yeah they are a tad on the expensive side but I wouldnt say they are so easily lost

high enough gen fighters equipped with decent pulse engine tech will go a LONG

way towards limiting attrition. Add more then just fighters into the mix and

your racial mods and they could be extremely effective in the right situation.

Of course that can be said of nearly every other weapon system in the game.

but fighter craft of the various kinds always have more bang per tonnage and thats ALWAYS a good thing. :beer:

I know plenty of folks who are not into fighters or drones.  They are very expensive and easily lost.

Yeah, but they are spiffy keen for planetary defense where you don't have to worry so much about long supply lines. :drunk:

Actually, I think that is the senario where they are LEAST appropriate. Why put your weapons tonnage into expendables that can be quickly removed from the battle when it could instead be buried deep under millions of tons of armor.

Yeah, but they are spiffy keen for planetary defense where you don't have to worry so much about long supply lines. :cheers:

Actually, I think that is the senario where they are LEAST appropriate. Why put your weapons tonnage into expendables that can be quickly removed from the battle when it could instead be buried deep under millions of tons of armor.

You're talking Surface Forts, while I'm talking Orbitals, which can be towed to system Warp Points. However, I see your point.

-SK :drunk: