Rolling Thunder Forums

The Collector and the Fury

TheCollectors

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for this tale. It is a cautionary one. The moral is that Pete was correct when he said that it would not be easy to take down an actively defended HW. Good luck to both sides, you have fought well.

To add insult to injury .. all of those crippled stations can scrapped to get all the supplies back so they can then be rebuilt to full strength (if the slips are available of course). Or just leave them as they are. They still take up fire and they will slowly repair over time. Oh the pain.

On the other side, the battle proves the earlier threads that defenses are way to effective and virtually eliminate the ability of defended HW's from being taken. 1,650,000 Vananite Battle Armor + stuff = Integrity: 2,232,201,600. Even two players working together would be unable to bring in enough weapons and ships to overcome this behemoth in integrity, protected behind a thousand+ screen forts (easily another 2 Billion in points there). And this was only Vananite. Imagine if he had the ability to use Trizenium? Or the next lvl? Or the next?!

On the other side, the battle proves the earlier threads that defenses are way to effective and virtually eliminate the ability of defended HW's from being taken.  1,650,000 Vananite Battle Armor + stuff = Integrity: 2,232,201,600.  Even two players working together would be unable to bring in enough weapons and ships to overcome this behemoth in integrity, protected behind a thousand+ screen forts (easily another 2 Billion in points there).  And this was only Vananite.  Imagine if he had the ability to use Trizenium?  Or the next lvl?  Or the next?!

Defenses way too effective?

The attacker and defender were using the same level of armor - so it is really just the x9 bonus from the surface stations that comes into play here. That's something we've known about for quite some time... Otherwise the sides were pretty well matched up tech wise... the attacking fleet on a HW clearly must be completely and utterly overwhemling and, if at the same tech level, will need to be much larger than the defending fleets. Or must have a decided technological advantage... Neither criteria was met by the attacker in this engagement (though the Battleship was very nicely designed, IMO).

There are ways around this, it would be some work, but it is possible. It gives those of us that aren't working too closely together with anyone some hope that we could hold our own against a determined enemy.

It would be nice to have some sort of "condensed" summary with fleet this large however. Wading through huge reports like this is a bit of work... :python:

-LX

I, Gjor'haan, called as a disciple of Gjo'jaol, Darkness of Darkness, and Shor'ha, his servant; to the Collectors , to those that have been sanctified in Darkness, disciples by calling, with all who in every place call upon Gjo'jaol for strength, present, once again, testament to the divine glory of Gjo'jaol:

All stand witness to the divinity of Gjo'jaol!

A glorious and pathetic victory, both. The 'farce' was bringing your General to die with his numerous divisions without probing homeworld defenses. The 'farce' was failing to coordinate your attack in the final hour.

The defenses in place at Chadwik-10 are far from invulnerable, but we are happy that your pride, once again, leaves you with the false delusion of security in presuming your defenses will be adequate as our own.

It is one thing to lay the same trap, quite another to presume that the trap best matches your prey. Our fortune is that Gjo'jaol is our hunter; Gjo'jaol our ally that never abandons us.

Collect your dead, again.

The strategy on both sides was sound. The Collectors were defeated due to a lack of firepower. As the offensive ships were destroyed the FC rating went up as the total fire power went down. This resulted in a single glob of fire being insufficient to destroy a ttaret in one pass.

I am sure that another like force of the supposed allies would have made lots of difference in the battle and may have changed the outcome. The defending forces were very long on integrity at the expense of fire power. IMHO

Coordinated attacks can be very successfull, but are very vulnerable to any sort of mistakes on a turn.

:beer::cheers::drunk:

This whole thread is fascinating :cheers:

I think it underscores the importance of diplomacy, trade and strategy more than it 'exposes' TheScreenIssue.

Espionage (at least in the form of sending in little picket ships to their death to gather enemy fleet intelligence) has the potential to be another crucial element when massing forces against actively defended players.

Strategically, its compelling to see how all (three?) sides will recover.

The burning question of the hour is: did the Bon Bons turn around and head toward the Collector HW? :beer: Or was there an order SNAFU? :drunk:

For those still wondering what happened to the Bon Bons...

This was the second trip into the system for the Collectors so the system was well know already. As it was virgin territory for the Bon Bons they needed to first do a scan of the system before moving to the Fury homeworld. Plans were made to move together on the second impulse allowing time for a preliminary system scan.

However an error was made in the routing of this vital order and a lonely survey ship many many jumps away received an encrypted priority alpha directive to immediately conduct a scan; a scan of a system which in fact was most definately not Chadwik and was already in their galactic database.

And thus ends the tale of the Second Battle of Chadwik.

IMHO, the HW should be tought to take. The defender should win the majority of the time if tech is equal. Also, think of supply lines, it is much easier for the defender to build and rebuild ships, while the attacker has to bring them forward. Heck, if the defender wanted to go total defense, he could just dispense with engines, and build surface forts. Of course, I'd want to defend those warp points as much as possible..... :beer:

I love to see this type of player-created content. Just consider how many hours are spent each turn by all of us SNROTE players, and the miniscule percentage of that effort that is shared in public for all to enjoy. Unless you are in big alliance swapping turns, there is alot of gameplay only being seen by individual players.

I hope to see more of this in coming days, and perhaps the newsletter will serve as an additional incentive.

I love to see this type of player-created content.  Just consider how many hours are spent each turn by all of us SNROTE players, and the miniscule percentage of that effort that is shared in public for all to enjoy.  Unless you are in big alliance swapping turns, there is alot of gameplay only being seen by individual players. 

I hope to see more of this in coming days, and perhaps the newsletter will serve as an additional incentive.

I second this sentiment. Thanks to the Collectors, The Fury, The United Triskellian Alliance, The Bombay Trading Compnay and all of the others who have published some of their battle reports. It has reinvigorated my interest in SN:Rote and helped make the game more alive. :beer:

I would post the Battle Reports of the Q Republic but I think people would get tired of seeing ...

[Nothing Happened]

... turn after turn. :P

Not that I'm complaining, I'm enjoying my quiet little corner of the 'verse.  :oops:

-SK  :beer:

Well, I, for one, am glad to hear there are some parts of the 'verse that are quiet, some wispy nebulae where fellow travellers are not locked in brutal deathmatch....

:drunk:

Reading HW assault reports is more satisfying when that HW is not one's own, I suspect. :cheers:

-LX