Rolling Thunder Forums

Congrats to the Heroes

Lang Xin Zang

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose their new motto, ala MMB and a few others: if you can't beat 'em --drop!

It makes one wonder if SN:ROTE is going to suffer from ... err ... experience a Three-card [Empire] Monty effect where players drop an Empire under the threat of immenent attack, and potentially, doom/conquest; only to start another Empire (or three, with Allies) out on the edge of space for the purpose of revenge. :ranting:

I have seen it in other games where Faction A gets into a blood-fued with Faction B, the position names change but the players don't. It can provide some amusement when it's out on the fringe, but when it starts to dominate the game, it becomes tiresome. :cheers:

On the upside, it's a little extra revenue for RTG for all of the new set-ups. :(

I guess we'll see what happens between the Triskellians and Phoenix Arisen, could be fun. <_<

-SK :P

I suppose their new motto, ala MMB and a few others: if you can't beat 'em --drop!

It makes one wonder if SN:ROTE is going to suffer from ... err ... experience a Three-card [Empire] Monty effect where players drop an Empire under the threat of immenent attack, and potentially, doom/conquest; only to start another Empire (or three, with Allies) out on the edge of space for the purpose of revenge. :blink:

I have seen it in other games where Faction A gets into a blood-fued with Faction B, the position names change but the players don't. It can provide some amusement when it's out on the fringe, but when it starts to dominate the game, it becomes tiresome. :cheers:

On the upside, it's a little extra revenue for RTG for all of the new set-ups. :(

I guess we'll see what happens between the Triskellians and Phoenix Arisen, could be fun. <_<

I guess it all depends on the attitude of the players. If you think you are being attacked by multiple positions and see no hope of getting aid from elsewhere, then there is not a lot of incentive for you to keep playing that position. Some players might fight it out to the bitter end trying to turn the enemies win into a pyrrhic victory (forcing them to lose so much the victory has little value .. maybe even weakening them so much that they fall to agrressors themselves). Most will say why spend my money just to lose when I can start over elsewhere, or maybe even (gasp) try a new game with another company (horror!).

Also, the whole thought of starting over on the rim to build up and try to come back for revenge .. Why? You will always be techinically behind your former foe. Your former foe(s) have an added homeworld to use to build with so you will always be behind in materials and ships. Basically trying to do that for revenge is a fools errand. But please do so, keep RTG in the money. :ranting:

It makes one wonder if SN:ROTE is going to suffer from ... err ... experience a Three-card [Empire] Monty effect where players drop an Empire under the threat of immenent attack, and potentially, doom/conquest; only to start another Empire (or three, with Allies) out on the edge of space for the purpose of revenge. :blink:

I guess it all depends on the attitude of the players. If you think you are being attacked by multiple positions and see no hope of getting aid from elsewhere, then there is not a lot of incentive for you to keep playing that position. Some players might fight it out to the bitter end trying to turn the enemies win into a pyrrhic victory (forcing them to lose so much the victory has little value .. maybe even weakening them so much that they fall to agrressors themselves). Most will say why spend my money just to lose when I can start over elsewhere, or maybe even (gasp) try a new game with another company (horror!).

Also, the whole thought of starting over on the rim to build up and try to come back for revenge .. Why? You will always be techinically behind your former foe. Your former foe(s) have an added homeworld to use to build with so you will always be behind in materials and ships. Basically trying to do that for revenge is a fools errand. But please do so, keep RTG in the money. :ranting:

I do think there comes a point where the tech disparity becomes so big that there would seem to be little purpose to starting an empire in this game as you would never catch up and be a force, especially when facing an alliance which can pursue many more research paths. I wonder if RTG has given any thoiught to this issue and whether they will consider providing a starting empire with additional SRPs in order to help close the gap or alternatively to start a new universe.

BTW, kudos to the Golden Clovers for hanging tough. I am sure that there will be more fun for you in the coming weeks as the UTA press their attacks.

I do think it would have been ironic though if the GC had been conquered by the Bovine Hegemony who after they had completed the conquest were to leave behind large quantities of fertilizer. :blink:

tech disparity may not be as a big issue for new empires seeking revenge...

The SN:rote universe is a big place and it was my understanding that new empires are simply added to the "edge". If I were to start a war with one of my neighbors and wipe him out so badly that he drops his position and starts a new empire. This new empire would be a great distance away with numerous empires between us and not to mention no idea where to go to find me. Because there are no set "coordinates" for each system it would take this player YEARS to find my empire. And he would have to conquer every empire in his path.

It is completely ridiculous to assume that you can not start a new position and be competative. I have seen a turn 30 start position that is every bitr as advanced as many core positions and better than most having benefitted from the experience of others.

If you start a new position now or in the future it will not be to satisfy the revenge need, unless you plan on waiting an awfully long time. It just won't happen. Speaking as somebody who has always explored alot, it takes lots of effort and time to get 20-30 systems out. It is much faster if you have somebody feeding you routing information, but it still takes a long time. One of my core positions is out less than 30 systems and has still not run into anybody else who is not a turn 0 start.

Each new batch of starts are a universe unto themselves and will only have to worry about those positions that are 5-10 turns prior and after them. RTG has no need to ever prime the pump with advanced startups or any other sort of enticement.

Feel free to start a new position and be assured that you will be completely safe from your old enemies, unless they also start up to hound you.

<_<:P:cheers::(

Each new batch of starts are a universe unto themselves and will only have to worry about those positions that are 5-10 turns prior and after them.  RTG has no need to ever prime the pump with advanced startups or any other sort of enticement.

A position of mine has met an empire that was started a year(!) before that position.

So time seems not to be the spacing factor.

Each new batch of starts are a universe unto themselves and will only have to worry about those positions that are 5-10 turns prior and after them.  RTG has no need to ever prime the pump with advanced startups or any other sort of enticement.

A position of mine has met an empire that was started a year(!) before that position.

So time seems not to be the spacing factor.

But there could also be other factors like did they turtle whislt you frantically explored?

Just wait until everybody figures out the path to Wormhole travel....

I agree with Hobknob: a new empire can certainly hang with an older one. Not only that, a chunk of people rerolling at the same time are VERY likely to be neighbors which gives them a much bigger advantage if they diversify techs from the gate.

BTW I do not believe the PA to be dead, rather: that which does not kill them will only make them stronger :P

On the flip side, I pity anybody who thinks they can outsmart the Triskellian Gang.

It is not impossible to get to new or older space, but it is rare. On the whole it won't be happening on a regular basis. There is also the issue if fewer starts in recent days. Evidence shows that there are paths that will lead to new and old areas so it is not surprising that you have found a path to something a year old. I am also aware that there is a player who has spanned the first 14 turns or so.

The more exploration that we all do the more of these things we will find out.

:beer::cheers:

It is completely ridiculous to assume that you can not start a new position and be competative.  I have seen a turn 30 start position that is every bitr as advanced as many core positions and better than most having benefitted from the experience of others. 

If you start a new position now or in the future it will not be to satisfy the revenge need, unless you plan on waiting an awfully long time.  It just won't happen.  Speaking as somebody who has always explored alot, it takes lots of effort and time to get 20-30 systems out.  It is much faster if you have somebody feeding you routing information, but it still takes a long time.  One of my core positions is out less than 30 systems and has still not run into anybody else who is not a turn 0 start.

Feel free to start a new position and be assured that you will be completely safe from your old enemies, unless they also start up to hound you.

:cheers:  :beer:  :drunk:  :beer:

Hobknob, what is true today will not be true tomorrow. I am sure if I started a position today it would be viable. However will this be true in three years? five years? forever? I dont know since I dont have complete knowledge of the tech tree.

I trust that RTG has thought about the issue starting positions and tech disparity. It would not bother me if at some point they did add some extra SRPs to even it up but I leave it in their hands to decide how best to run this game.