Plasma Torps - Romulan/Gorn Tech

Energy Disruptors - Klingon, Kzinti, Lyran

Gravitonics - Andromedan Tech

Coherent - Phasers

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of us who are role playing our empires, is there a way to get an idea of what these different dammage types are, and in which direction one should direct their efforts for research?

You may want to look at your home world/system resources when deciding what weapons categorie(s) to persue. Some weapon types require a special type of material. Such as Ghuran Demonblood for Cold weapons.

Of course, you can make anything out of Raw Resources, and the resource yields tend to be insignificant, but every little teeny tiny bit helps.

Thanks, sir smeg. That was exactly what I was looking for.

:laugh:

Laserwolf; yes, I'm old enough to have played that (Orion Pirate Raiders - with multiple gattling phasers). Thank you too.

SargonKingOfSlith; I understand, and had considered it. Unfortunatley my system does not contain any significant (no matter how insignificant) amount of resources for my weapon type. Maybe in some adjoining systems, I'll be more fortunate.

If you have any prior experience with the game Starfleet Battles then:

Plasma Splash = Hellbore cannons - Hydran Tech, Plasmatic Pulsars from the ISC

Fusion Blasts = Fusion Beams - Hydran Tech

Coherent - Phasers

actually There are no coherent beam type weapons in Star Fleet Battles. :ninja:

Phasers are actually 'phased energy beams that actually cause damage via

kinetic force(who would have thought) and electrical discharge in an attept to burn out ship systems.

And as of yet there is no SN:ROTE version of the Photon Torpedo except maybe

Mk I and up Short Range torpedos with anitmatter warheads.

If you have any prior experience with the game Starfleet Battles then:

Plasma Splash = Hellbore cannons - Hydran Tech, Plasmatic Pulsars from the ISC

Fusion Blasts = Fusion Beams - Hydran Tech

Coherent - Phasers

actually There are no coherent beam type weapons in Star Fleet Battles. :ninja:

Phasers are actually 'phased energy beams that actually cause damage via

kinetic force(who would have thought) and electrical discharge in an attept to burn out ship systems.

Heh. I always thought that Phasers stood for "photon amplification stimulated by emission of radiation" similar to laser or maser. I often learn many new things on this board.

Close ali-t-akua, PHASER stands for PHased Array laSER.

Miles:

Its operational beam consists of two components, a visible beam of charged particles which gives the phaser its characteristic cyan-blue beam and an X-ray laser component which does the actual damage to the target. Phaser energy can either shock into unconsciousness, thermally fry, or disintegrate a material target, depending upon the power level and frequency of the X-ray laser. At maximum output, the phaser generates a beam of closely focused X-rays with a wavelength of 175 è; while in the stun setting, the X-ray laser portion of the beam is disabled and only the particle beam is used, producing a taser-like electric shock to any organic material.

The energy weapons used by the crew were called 'Lasers'. However they were changed to Phaser shortly after the first pilot episode, The Cage, was filmed, on the grounds that a laser could not produce the explosive effects seen in the episode.

Nor is there a "Tholian Web" or a Lyran Expanding Sphere Generator, although those marvelous Stasis Sphere Generators kinda lend you to imagining them.

Close ali-t-akua, PHASER stands for PHased Array laSER.

Miles:

Its operational beam consists of two components, a visible beam of charged particles which gives the phaser its characteristic cyan-blue beam and an X-ray laser component which does the actual damage to the target. Phaser energy can either shock into unconsciousness, thermally fry, or disintegrate a material target, depending upon the power level and frequency of the X-ray laser. At maximum output, the phaser generates a beam of closely focused X-rays with a wavelength of 175 è; while in the stun setting, the X-ray laser portion of the beam is disabled and only the particle beam is used, producing a taser-like electric shock to any organic material.

The energy weapons used by the crew were called 'Lasers'. However they were changed to Phaser shortly after the first pilot episode, The Cage, was filmed, on the grounds that a laser could not produce the explosive effects seen in the episode.

Nor is there a "Tholian Web" or a Lyran Expanding Sphere Generator, although those marvelous Stasis Sphere Generators kinda lend you to imagining them.

Thnaks Laserwolf for clarifying that. I notice that they talk about wavelength as though it is independent of frequency when they are actually related to each other.

Somewhere I believe that I have seen reference to an Energy Web (related to Energy Sapper torpodoes). Could that be analogous to the Tholian Web? I am trying to remember that episode and I remember the Enterprise being trapped while small ships were creating a matrix around the ship and the crew racing to resolve some issue but I cannot remember the physical effect that was holding the ship in place and it has been many years since I have watched the original Star Trek episodes (or any ST episodes for that matter). :ninja:

actually There are no coherent beam type weapons in Star Fleet Battles. :)

Technically there is a sublight game component to SFB and those early ships are armed with lasers.

In response to Laserwolf, there is a Energy Web Projector tech in SuperNova which sounds somewhat Tholian like.

actually There are no coherent beam type weapons in Star Fleet Battles. :oops:

Technically there is a sublight game component to SFB and those early ships are armed with lasers.

In response to Laserwolf, there is a Energy Web Projector tech in SuperNova which sounds somewhat Tholian like.

As I recall it is a defensive system only tho. However, it MIGHT be a pre-req to an offensive version

Nope,

Energy Web Projectors are an offensive weapon. They're pretty weak at first but once you hit Type D and above they're sweet.

Type A Energy Web Projector: The Type A Energy Web Projector flings a latticework of raw energy in the form of a giant

web toward an enemy vessel. If caught within the energy strands, a vessel is drained of electromagnetic energy, severely disrupting its electronics and sensor gear. Widespread damage to all electronics-based equipment along with power plants and engines is inflicted while the hapless vessel attempts to extricate itself from the energy web. The

only theorized defense would be some sort of a tachyon grid designed to allow the ship to phase through the web, avoiding actual contact with the deadly energy threads. (2,500 tons) 2,500 Improved Steel - 2,500 Improved Electronics - 2,500 Caldaran Crystals - 2,500 Improved Synthetic Materials - 2,500 Rare Elements

Classification: Weapon Range: Beam Structural Integrity: 2500

Prerequisite Technologies: Light ESAP Beam

Energy Absorber Strength: Adequate [10000]

Cheers

/Locklyn

Nope,

Energy Web Projectors are an offensive weapon. They're pretty weak at first but once you hit Type D and above they're sweet.

Type A Energy Web Projector:  The Type A Energy Web Projector flings a latticework of raw energy in the form of a giant

web toward an enemy vessel. If caught within the energy strands, a vessel is drained of electromagnetic energy, severely disrupting its electronics and sensor gear. Widespread damage to all electronics-based equipment along with power plants and engines is inflicted while the hapless vessel attempts to extricate itself from the energy web. The

only theorized defense would be some sort of a tachyon grid designed to allow the ship to phase through the web, avoiding actual contact with the deadly energy threads. (2,500 tons) 2,500 Improved Steel - 2,500 Improved Electronics - 2,500 Caldaran Crystals - 2,500 Improved Synthetic Materials - 2,500 Rare Elements

Classification: Weapon Range: Beam Structural Integrity: 2500

Prerequisite Technologies: Light ESAP Beam

Energy Absorber Strength: Adequate [10000]

Cheers

/Locklyn

Thanks Locklyn. I knew I had seen this somewhere.

Ah yes, my bad, I was thinking of the Energy Absorber Grid...

now if only this fluff actually made a difference... Type A Energy Web Projector - Heavy Laser...same thing.

sigh

Mmmmm....weapons discussion...always fun :)

The two weapons mentioned here are actually totally different and have almost nothing in common except that they are both weapons used in space combat.

Heavy Beam Lasers are Coherent Beam weapons. They have their own unique research and construction requirements, and are countered by reflective coatings, which tend to reflect or diffuse incomig Coherent Beam weapon fire.

Energy Absorber Grids are energy discharge weapons, have their own research and construction requirements, and are countered by tachyon grid technology, which deploys a mesh of energized protons to interfere with this type of weaponry. The defenses that are useful against Energy Absorber Grids are in their own right totally different than the reflective coatings that are good against Heavy Beam Lasers.

An attacker choosing between these weapons might look at the beam laser tree and run up that one because it starts earlier, and he can achieve Coherent Beam firepower earlier on. On the other hand, tachyon screens are more difficult to develop, and so he might figure that his enemies might not have such technology, and wait to develop his own absorber grids instead. Then again, he might consider the construction requirements of all of these items and determine that one or another is more efficient for him to build because of his homeworld and colonial resource yields.

To be perfectly honest, I would be hard pressed to think of two more completely different weapon systems :blink: