Rolling Thunder Forums

Advanced Tech and resources

hobknob

Not that my two cents matters much, but I would be opposed to new neutrals just 'popping' up in my space. I spent a lot of time and money pmaping everything nearby. I would not be opposed to increasing or making existing 90xx pop groups more useful.

:woohoo:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that my two cents matters much, but I would be opposed to new neutrals just 'popping' up in my space.  I spent a lot of time and money pmaping everything nearby.  I would not be opposed to increasing or making existing 90xx pop groups more useful.

How in the world do new neutrals popping up and saying "HELLO" change one thing about what you have done?

Now if you are talking about your being opposed to them secretly appearing, how do you know they are not doing that already?

To be honest either way or both is good for me. As to not catching the neutrals on the first go-round well thats what you get for putting your fiath in the pathfinders sensor sweeps :woohoo: . Better tech means that now you can catch things that were hidden before

T'Lariss

Not that my two cents matters much, but I would be opposed to new neutrals just 'popping' up in my space.  I spent a lot of time and money pmaping everything nearby.  I would not be opposed to increasing or making existing 90xx pop groups more useful.

How in the world do new neutrals popping up and saying "HELLO" change one thing about what you have done?

Now if you are talking about your being opposed to them secretly appearing, how do you know they are not doing that already?

To be honest either way or both is good for me.  As to not catching the neutrals on the first go-round well thats what you get for putting your fiath in the pathfinders sensor sweeps :woohoo: .  Better tech means that now you can catch things that were hidden before

T'Lariss

Exactly Laserwolf... It may be true that Kurrasier has put forth a lot of time

and effort in a nearly vain attempt to find neutrals and hes opposed to having

them pop up on worlds he has already PMAPED or ORB'ed?

I too dont understand that logic. :woohoo:

I would welcome anything to make neutrals more interesting. I really don't think that new neutrals popping up is the way to go, but I could deal with that. I really think that just making existing neutrals more valuable is the key here. Knowing that this game is not a democracy kind of makes votes meaningless, but I will voice my opinion for increased pop to make neutrals worth something, including fighting over.

I just aquired an advanced neutral, 123 pop, with the following installations and stuff. This is just about the best neutral you can expect to find. I have seen some with greater pop, still none over 200 to start.

1 Annihilated Field Fortress

1 Caved-in Shenn Stone Mine

1 Coal Fired Power Plant

1 Collapsed Iron Mine

1 Contaminated Imperial Medical Center

1 Crushed Science Institute

1 Domed City

4 Industrial Complex

1 Irradiated Imperial Science Center

1 Remains of a Science Lab

1 Shattered Orbital Solar Power Station

1 Smashed Imperial Army Boot Camp

1 Stripmining Complex

1 Vaporized Imperial Army Depot

items

8,400 Fuel Tankage

1 Mk V Fusion Jump Drive

1 Mk VI Nuclear Engine

14 Survey Lander

6 Type C Science Lab

5 Type D Universal Translator Device

For those who have not had the pleasure of aquiring neutrals. :woohoo:

Now if this neutral was more on the order of 1200 pop or 12,000 pop then it would be really worth something. At 123 pop you are pretty limited in what you can do with it.

:woohoo::jawdrop::woohoo:

What would be really great imho : neutrals keeping their original lifeform even after the ctrn. Then even small pops would be priceless if their homeworld had the same gravity and temp that this 1000 yield planet. Maybe add in that you could only CTRN pops added peacefully to your empire and diplomats would be suddenly valuable....

I know, I know, I'm daydreaming :woohoo:

Exactly Laserwolf... It may be true that Kurrasier has put forth a lot of time

and effort in a nearly vain attempt to find neutrals and hes opposed to having

them pop up on worlds he has already PMAPED or ORB'ed?

I too dont understand that logic. 

First, (I did use better than Pathfinders, but no matter) if the neutrals were there and I missed them with my tech/poor search/whatever, I don't have a problem. But if they are NOT there now, and they suddenly materialize then that is what I would have issue with (of course I might never know....)

If I 'intercepted' their transmisions and were warned of them, ok, but it still doesn't make sense to 'create' new ones out of nothing. Of course, it is only a game, and whatever is decided on by the powers that be, I will live with and won't complain. I keep forgetting we are playtesting to a degree.

I am not opposed to making neutrals more 'useful' for what that is worth. :woohoo:

ps, I've found quite a few neutrals, so I'd say my effort has not been in vain. :woohoo: , I just don't see the 'logic' in established races appearing out of nothing.

I'm not sure I would be happy about having 'new' neutral empires appear out of veritable thin air, unless they came with a fun back story. :P

I know that I groused about the fact that should neutrals be changed they wouldn't help me out 'cause I'm one of the old grognard empires that started back at the beginning of time. Pondering it a little more, it would be more problematic to try to retcon the neutrals than it would be to introduce 'healthier' fragments as the SN:ROTE Universe expands.

That being said, and moving back to the original topic somewhat, I think that trimming the Tech Tree of 'dead' branches and refunding (if that's the right verb here) the SRP cost would be beneficial to all, and less problematic than 'enhancing' existing neutral empires. :drunk:

FWIW,

-SK :beer:

Hobknob forgot my favorite useless item - Plantfood.  :laugh:

I concur with my compatriots that 'useless' things, which I define as being of no value or having no real function in the game (being high-tech beads for seducing current neutrals does not count a real function in my book), should be removed from the game.  I would go one step further and say that Empires should receive SRPs equivalent to their research cost.  However, I would be satisfied if the dead branches of the research tree were just pruned off.  The refund would make me truly happy.  :D

M2CW,

-SK  :ninja:

OK, fair enough, and I suppose I'd be happy with that as a solution, but what happens with the vast pile (no pun intended) of fertiliser that some of us are accumulating. Transmutated into something else?

Wouldn't it be better to hope that there would be a use for these items?

By 'bribing' neutrals with advanced consumer goods their productivity increases vastly for their small pop size? By dropping advanced weaponary into an enemies pop group (covertly of course), you could and would be encouraging insurgents who would be able to 'punch above their weight' in terms of numbers and require bigger garrisons, especially on newly conquered colonies? Improved and Advanced fertiliser increase yields of grains/fruit&veg, similarly plantfoods for meat yields (for those vast growing legions of Eternus's).

I guess this would be more difficult to incorporate into the current game, at the moment, especially when there are other, more important issues, but it would make players want to develop these, and so wouldn't have been a wasted effort for those of us who have developed these 'technologies'.

OK, I'm going to hop back into the lab now,

Hughestrog.

Ultimately the solution is driven by the same factors as all of the rest - Time, Quality and Cost; or as the axiom goes - Good, Fast, Cheap - Pick Two. Since RTG is niether awash in cash nor sitting around with excessive spare time, it would seem that the two being chosen are Fast and Cheap, which means that the solutions would not necessarily be the best. Personally, I think that Pete is trying to stick with Good and Cheap, which means that they won't be implemented quickly. :laugh:

Niether of these solution options makes us happy. Frankly, most consumers want all three. Of course, I keep reminding myself that the SN:ROTE Business Model is less Wal-Mart and more Walton. It's a family thing. :D

-SK :ninja:

I think that many of the currently less than usefull items could become useful if the Neutral enlarging proposal were instituted. Then the Diplomacy part could be tightened down so that those folks are also useful. Make sure the Neutrals have some troops defending them and then you would have a use for plant foods and such.

It should be harder to get a neutral that is worth something and it would also be nice if neutrals gave gifts in return for gifts.

:laugh::ninja:

I think that many of the currently less than usefull items could become useful if the Neutral enlarging proposal were instituted.  Then the Diplomacy part could be tightened down so that those folks are also useful.  Make sure the Neutrals have some troops defending them and then you would have a use for plant foods and such.

It should be harder to get a neutral that is worth something and it would also be nice if neutrals gave gifts in return for gifts. 

:D  :laugh:

True, true. I have made proposals to this affect elsewhere. I probably have about a dozen Diplomacy [DIP], Alliance [PAP] and Neutrals related posts throughout the boards. I should probably hunt them all down and make a single reasoned statement.

-SK :ninja: