Rolling Thunder Forums

Captured Home World

Coconutheads

I already forget about my mines.  The only reason I can see to have a seperate pop group for mines is to concentrate admin centers and such.  On a captured HW you won't really have too many charcters so there is little incentive for the seperation.

I too have started using additional pop groups on my HW, but only as warehouses for the various convoy routes that go for trade.  each route has it's own pop group to load from so it saves a few orders and makes trade easier.

:D

Hobknob, how does having seperate pop groups save orders?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My yields are so low on my HW, that I don't even take them into consideration when setting up builds. (except my fibers yield, anybody need about 30 million Fibers???)

In fact, with 4th Gen Industrial Science, it is so much easier to just BI/EB as neccessary (especially with updated IC's and SM's). I'm almost tempted to just scrap the mines, but they've been there so long it would seem a shame to DISM them. Plus it would take a few orders I could use elswhere AND what would I do with all those CM's anyway??!?!?!?!? :ranting::D

(maybe build more StarBars!!!, which can be built with regular, improved or advanced CM's, So versatile!!!)

:ranting:

My leftover CMs become Religious Buildings - Cathedrals, Temples, Missions, StarBars ... Not that it does anything, yet.  I just like to think I'm making my people happy.  Of course, some people just keep their "old school" Industrial Centers and Stripmines running, it all depends on your situation.  :ranting:

-SK  :D

I wish I had your problem. I am replacing all of my SMs with Improved ones as I need the CMs. I will do the same with Improved ICs once I get the tech.

Some of my mines actually are pretty productive although I have far more Ghuran Demonblood than anyone should need. :ranting:

PS Good to see a post from ULT. :ranting:

If you upgrade enough industries to Improved you wind up with quite a pile of surplus CM's. At one point I had close to 20M cm's stockpiled and no surplus pop to use them.

If you are trading on a regular basis with a trading partner, the most efficient way to do it is to set up a convoy route that runs every turn, or whatever frequency your engines and distance dictate. To load the cargo that you are transporting to your neighbor, you can either LC every turn, or have an LC command in your convoy route. Rather than need to LC every turn the convoy route method is easier. The only problem you run into is that you either have to specify in the convoy route LC order the materials you want loaded or you go for Load All.

Now, if you specify the items you want moved then you have to modify your convoy route every time that you want to change the items. That takes a bunch of orders and is a real pain.

A better solution is to build another pop group on your homeworld. Then you have your convoy route LC ALL from this new pop group. Using a transfer center you can put as much stuff into the new pop group as you want. If you have a set trade item then you can use the XTRN order to do it automatically or you can just move 3-4 turns worth of freight in one shot and then forget about it for a few turns.

This is the best way that I have found to efficiently trade with a neighbor. This also works well if your fleets are making multiple trips on the route or if they don't always end at the HW. Each trading partner gets their own pop group/warhouse and trade is relatively painless.

I currently move more than 1M tons of stuff a turn in the name of trade. Not all of this is necessarily equitable, but who's really counting. :ranting:

:D:ranting::ranting:

Ok, I forgot the downside so here it is. The biggest problem with this method of trade is that you can't prioritize what gets shipped. The LC ALL takes cargo in alphabetical order so your precious Vananite Battle Armor will always have to wait for the less exciting stuff that precedes it in the alphabet. This can cause some problems or at least inconvenience. The bandaid to this is to modify your global excludes to exclude the boring stuff. Then you can change them back when you are out of higher priority stuff.

There is also another solution, build bigger freighters or move the boring stuff back out to another pop group.

There you go.

Edited by hobknob

...................  On a captured HW you won't really have too many charcters so there is little incentive for the seperation.

What - you don't assign Governors, Army commanders, staff support, Traders and Priests on captured HWs??????

Pete, Pete - they should be rebelling immediately!!!!!!! We need Planetary Unrest!

Well, after a few other things are fixed and added....... :D

Chief Existentialist to Ur-Lord Tedric

Geeze, how hard is it to actually capture a Homeworld these days? I thought it was difficult, but it appears that everyone is picking up a homeworld or two. I feel quite left out!!!

It's a shame (from all the responses) that when you do get control of an enemy homworld, you can't use his people or warriors, but rather that they become identical to your homeworld conditions. I don't understand the whole rationale behind that, seems like they should not be magically changed upon being incorporated into your realm.

"Michigan" Steve

It's mostly a programming issue. Since we can't select a specific item of a type it would be impossible to keep track of all the different lifeform chracteristics that would be a part of your army.

It is a tad unrealistic, but it works.

There is also the problem of the instant colony that was corrected early in the game.

:jawdrop:

Early in the game it was possible to drop colonists into any pop group you liked just like you can now with cargo.

This would make it possible for an ally to show up at your HW and transfer 20,000 pop into the allis pop group. Instant colony. This colony would then be able to produce stuff for the host.

You can still do this, you just have to bring your own pop to do it.

This also prevents you from adding pop to neutrals and dropping your army units into captured/neutral pop groups.

Geeze, how hard is it to actually capture a Homeworld these days?  I thought it was difficult, but it appears that everyone is picking up a homeworld or two.  I feel quite left out!!!

It's a shame (from all the responses) that when you do get control of an enemy homworld, you can't use his people or warriors, but rather that they become identical to your homeworld conditions.  I don't understand the whole rationale behind that, seems like they should not be magically changed upon being incorporated into your realm.

"Michigan" Steve

There were a lot of dropped positions in the core as people determined the game either wasn't for them, or that they mis-designed their race and started another position. Those of us that stayed have unplayed positions to "pick up" which is pretty easy to do if you can find them... I think it helps (in a big way) to make up for all the uninformed decisions that we core players made, all the lost time researching tech that seemed like a good idea at the time and all the testing of various features that slowed our development. (As has been said before the Elder Races are not necessarily very powerful, we just have a bit more wisdom...for what's that's worth... :)

You still may have a chance in the "newer" regions of the galaxy as I heard stories of people starting several positions and then only keeping one they liked the most. Probably you'll have to fight for them though, and from what we've seen so far that is a very hard proposition. :blink:

-LX

:blink: I would have to agree that core positions are not very powerful. My information and experience shows me that a turn 30+ positions have superior war fleets to most core positions that I am aware of. The main difference I see is the quantity of materials. Core positions have just been able to colonize and capture neutrals and drops longer so the fleets can be bigger, if not necessarily more powerful.

Many a core position has been stuck with the results of bad choices early on so they have lots of wasted, or less usefull, tech. The decision to follow 5 weapon paths will bite you in the hindmost, or the idea that armor was not really that important.

Anyway you look at it there are plenty of positions that are scrambling to correct serious tech imbalances.

:):cheers:

We'll I have a different perspective. I started the game on turn one. I for one have learned to play my position. Due to my RM, I will usually be the last one to get that advanced weapon or new toy for the month. I refuse to use more than one research center as I have seen some do to catch up? Being dumb has helped me not follow some poor tech paths. I was the fool that selected psychology as one of my research avenues and guess what I discovered what it lead to.

I built a nearly 8 million ton ship and watched it fall into an archaic history. Powerful fleets today will be tommorrows screens. We still do not know what tech is useless. Yep, I was one of those fellows that thought improved textiles were useful. I still find energy dispesion armor useful to build up to the 1000 ton limit on screens. Screens are great to harass scout ships.

I already have leaders on my colonies in the hope that they would do something. Hey good move on my part. My world likes to colonize and has yet to conquer another world. Shrug. I'm still having fun. That's what the game is about.

Rich