Rolling Thunder Forums

question about sensors

rotor911

I beg to differ for Mass detector sensors. They're extremely useful defensive systems since they defend both against gravitonics and mines. If they really help spotting cloaked ships too, they give incredible value for the money :P
ANZ: Mk I Mass Detector Sensor

Mk I Mass Detector Sensor: Mass Detectors are extremely useful sensor systems that perform a dual purpose mission.

The detection of enemy starships is of paramount importance, and it is very difficult for

them to hide their very mass from the prying eyes of a MDS. Additionally, enemy weapons

systems that rely upon Gravitonic effects can be countered somewhat should their

mass-distorting properties be detected early enough. Mass Detector Sensors are more

sensors than defensive systems, but they do come in handy for both purposes. (1,000 tons)

4,000 Improved Electronics - 1,000 Improved Transaluminum

Classification: Sensor Structural Integrity: 1000

Prerequisite Technologies: Mk I Long Range Sensor, 2nd Generation Space Science

Displacement Blink Speed: Good

Counters: Gravitonics

Sensor Strength: Good

Counters: Minefields

Which raises another interesting question. Why research gravatonic weapons as one's main battle weapon? They seem easily countered by other techs that seem mandatory for other reasons (as above). I know, there may be enticing branchs of the grav tree, but for a weapons system alone?

(Guess I just highjacked this thread.....)

Octus

The same can be said about missile weapons or fighters. There are systems out

there namely ENGINES that counter those very weapons but and this is a BUT

it will take quite a few of those engines to make a difference as evidenced by the

combat document draft. And if a ship is designed with mainly engines then it wont

have too many other systems. Of course once you get to very advanced engines

this changes a bit but not much. Advanced missiles and fighter craft get even more

deadly and powerful.

By following a pattern I have seen in the size of a certain missile weapon system

a 22000 ton missile will have a firepower of nearly 3 million and a manuver rating

that is off the chart on the example given in the combat document.

Food for thought. :ranting:

Munching away and getting heartburn. There MUST be some counter to this if what you project is correct. Otherwise, why research anything else?

Octus

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fairly simple really. Most and maybe all missiles don't go that high in the first place and in the second place CIDS go just as high as missles so you will always be able to shoot them down. Fighters continue to benefit from Pulse engines so get faster and faster. I don't believe that missiles benefit from the same thing.

There is a counter to every system in this game. :P

Fairly simple really. Most and maybe all missiles don't go that high in the first place and in the second place CIDS go just as high as missles so you will always be able to shoot them down.  Fighters continue to benefit from Pulse engines so get faster and faster.  I don't believe that missiles benefit from the same thing.

There is a counter to every system in this game.  :P

Oh but they do get that high Hobnob sir. :ranting: and missiles benefit from evasion at

higher gen levels. Of course they can be avoided and degraded but even 30 or 20

percent of 3 million is pretty dern good when you factor in range. :taz:

Missiles also dont get shot down they get degraded by CIDS from both ships

and fightercraft as well as the manuver rating of the ship if its manuver is sufficiently high. The greatest advantage of missiles is that fact that they have to be 'shot down'. They really dont miss much and they have the best ranges in the game. If you have a ship with long range missile firepower loaded to the gills with

t'ckon 68 in deployment location 10 or 11 against an equally outfitted ship(armorwise) but with point blank weapons such as plasma torpedos or Hellbore

then guess whats going to happen? While the plasma will get degraded horriblly due to range the missiles wont. they might get degraded a bit from CIDS but so

what. If the missiles are that high in generation the CIDS will have to be as well

to 'shoot down' a significant amount.

Hobnob is correct in that there is a counter for EVERYTHING but the counter to

the weapon system will most likely have to be of equivilent gen level else the

effectiveness will be degraded. theres a great example of this in the combat doc with Gen 2 CIDS going up against Gunboats with Mk 2 pulse engines.

Let's try this again shall we:

Pete,

How does ship detection work, do all sensors help? Is there an inherent "stealth" chance for all ships and does the Cloaking Device finally work as it should?

Cheers

/locklyn

Pete,

How does ship detection work, do all sensors help? Is there an inherent "stealth" chance for all ships and does the Cloaking Device finally work as it should?

Cheers

/locklyn

All ships can detect even without sensor systems added on, but sensors help in particular cases like Cloaking Devices. However, at this time Cloaking Devices don't provide enough of a cloak effect, which will be boosted. In almost every case, treat sensors as anti-mine defensive systems.

Pete,

Cheers

/locklyn

All ships can detect even without sensor systems added on, but sensors help in particular cases like Cloaking Devices. However, at this time Cloaking Devices don't provide enough of a cloak effect, which will be boosted. In almost every case, treat sensors as anti-mine defensive systems.

Pete, so if we treat sensors as anti mine detectiion systems, I have two questions.

1. Does the sensor range have any effect other than opening new tech paths)?

2. What is the difference between Space Mine Sensors and SR/MR/LR sensors?

Pete,

Thanks for the answer. So then sensors are really just defensive systems vs mines unless an advanced cloaking system is present. This goes against your earlier statements on the old board though, which is a wee bit confusing.

Now for the clincher, when will the cloaking devices be working? You have spoken a long time about fixing them since we brought the issue of fueltankers without any sensors detecting a fully cloaked ship.

Cloaks are expensive to research and especially to produce and for those of us that have gone to the effort of producing these it would be good to know when we can actually use them instead of seeing them getting blown up.

Cheers

/Locklyn

Very good timing guys (topicwise). I was thinking of trying to develop cloaking tech myself. BUT, if it isn't working as intended, and we have no idea when it will, it seems like it might be a mistake to go that route.

Pete, I too am curious where this stacks on the priority list. Any thoughts (or ETA's) on the matter?

Very good timing guys (topicwise).  I was thinking of trying to develop cloaking tech myself.  BUT, if it isn't working as intended, and we have no idea when it will, it seems like it might be a mistake to go that route.

Pete, I too am curious where this stacks on the priority list.  Any thoughts (or ETA's) on the matter?

While I like the idea of Cloaking devices they are not omnipotent as are all the systems in SNROTE. If you have the counter for cloaks then you will most likely detect them much easier. if you dont well mr sneaky ship will slip right by your pickets. I would like to see Cloaks working as well but like anything else in SNROTE its just another system to be used in the right situation and hopefully you

opponent is not prepared for it. :P

Pete, so if we treat sensors as anti mine detectiion systems, I have two questions.

I would like to know the answer to #1 more definitively as well...do I understand it correctly that SR/MR/LR sensors do not matter at all, since it is the overall "sensor strength" for a given ship that matters for both defensive purposes against mines and detecting enemy cloaked ships? Thus 500 "good" rated sensors, whether SRS's, MRS's, or LRS's will all achieve the exact same effect in all battle and detection matters? :P

I would like to know the answer to #1 more definitively as well...do I understand it correctly that SR/MR/LR sensors do not matter at all, since it is the overall "sensor strength" for a given ship that matters for both defensive purposes against mines and detecting enemy cloaked ships? Thus 500 "good" rated sensors, whether SRS's, MRS's, or LRS's will all achieve the exact same effect in all battle and detection matters? :P

I would hope that the major difference would be range much like it is with weapons. If there is no difference then the only reason to research past srs is

to open up new tech paths.

I would hope that the major difference would be range much like it is with weapons. If there is no difference then the only reason to research past srs is

to open up new tech paths.

I quite agree. It would be nice to know that the ranges actually matter for weapons systems of similar range. I'd like to see very long range weaponry like fighters need long range sensors to function to their full potential. Standard missiles should need medium range sensors to fully function. And standard beam/direct fire weapons should require short range weapons. <shrug> I can dream can't I? It just seems that the mating of proper sensors to appropriate weapons makes sense, but that might be the error in my thinking...applying sense to the model. :blink:

The only real difference in range of sensor is in the tech level that it represents. You can read all about it in the newest Naval Battle document. Pete pretty much spells out what the ranges actually mean. They have nothing to do with sighting ships earlier or more effectively.

Just treat them as a defensive system and you will be fine.

:blink: