Rolling Thunder Forums

Hello and Question

Chargerman

Seems to be some “healthy” rivelry going on in this now hijacked thread!!!!!  :) Good conflict among the “elder” races is good for us younger races.  I do have a new player related question.  Can you pre-build installations and ship them?  If not is 50K CM enough to ship to a new colony?

Thanks

Your first question is no, you have to ship construction materials and population to a pop group, then build your installations.

Your second question depends on how many pop you're going to move there, and what you want them to do. It's really up to you.

Lord Uriel

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joy of Joys!! i just got an email from Russ with an account # so i am all setup for next turn!!  All witness the rise of Mente Praeditus!!!!!

I look forward to aggressive negations with some of you and long fruitful partnerships with those of who are ......... reasonable.

But thank you for the warm welcome, I'll get the other bums in my crew on the stick ASAP.

:huh:  :oops:  :)  :D

Mente Praeditus

If I may ask, what spices go best with you?

You cannot pre-build installations.

50k CM will do for a maximum of a 100 colonists. You will need to keep on shipping CM's with your colonists. And more than 500 per pop, since the power generating installations require quite some CM's (besides the coal fired power plant, which is a good installation to start with).

Actually Coal fired power plants do require CMs to build. They are a good start for small colonies but you need to keep supplying coal. There are other power plants that are more efficient and are available to starting positions such as Hydro, Geo and Fission but they require a lot more CMs to build. You will need to decide the best approach but I ususally ship more CMs than required.

Also, if you want to mitigate attrition due to atmosphere, you will need to ship Improved CMs so you can build Domed Cities. You will need to research Improved Steel, Improved CMs and 2G Civil Eng.

As for thread hijacking, well it is a common occurrence and I am one of the guilty parties. :)

or perhaps you merely transfer your anger with your favorite pirate  :D MMB over to the PA, with whom you have NEVER had any dealings or encounters.

I hate to respond yet again to such propaganda, but someone must...or the poor rookies might be snowed. My apologies...

Oh, c'mon Laser...is that the best the PA could come up with concerning the disaster they created in making MMB their poster boy? Now the story is that he never was PA? :) You guys must be tight to sell out your own in such a manner. :huh: Or perhaps you just sponge off new blood and kick their corpse to the curb when you're done?

As to no encounters? Even leaving out poster-boy's empires, would you care to remind us all what affiliation Tentacles, Shadowlords of Lloth, and the Grayson Protectorate have? Suddenly your definition of "NEVER" needs a little redefining...we stand by our comments. Or will the next excuse be that you don't know them either? :oops: Very clever...my 3-yr-old uses that too.

That was not a "PA Reply", but a simple observation. Your whining has been about your encounters with the pirate MMB. For you to extend your frustrations to include all the PA members is the type of generalization that is also typical of 3-year olds.

If you had ever actually had encounters with anyone other than the grand pirate, your whining MIGHT carry some weight. As it is, your banter can be considered propaganda at best.

In any case, your protests are as amusing to the rookies as they are annoying to the vets. Simply seeing an empire in space is not a commonly recognized definition of an "encounter with the PA"

It still sounds like someone hurt your poor little feelings...

We now return you to the original thread.

...would you care to remind us all what affiliation Tentacles, Shadowlords of Lloth, and the Grayson Protectorate have?  Suddenly your definition of "NEVER" needs a little redefining...we stand by our comments.  Or will the next excuse be that you don't know them either?  :blink:  Very clever...my 3-yr-old uses that too.

If you had ever actually had encounters with anyone other than the grand pirate, your whining MIGHT carry some weight. As it is, your banter can be considered propaganda at best.

In any case, your protests are as amusing to the rookies as they are annoying to the vets.  Simply seeing an empire in space is not a commonly recognized definition of an "encounter with the PA"

Huzzah, my focused-photon canine! You have spunk at least...but fail to answer the question. As expected, you dodge the question about Tentacles, Shadowlords of Lloth, and the Grayson Protectorate. Encounters? What, pray tell, is your defintion thereof? Does assaulting a HW without attempted contact, violating agreed border arrangements, attacking unarmed ship in violation of those agreements, and general disregard for other empires count in your definition? :alien: I think they might for the majority of empires. :D

But you prove my point. To you, facts=banter and propaganda, but the facts still stand...my encounters with even those empires not controlled by the grand pirate (so grand he quit after his first serious losses) have plainly revealed the character of the PA. You wanted to be the bad boy, now take the reputation that goes with it.

Lastly, I'm glad such comments are amusing to the rookies, and hopefully informative as well. The gods only know, the game needs some lively action somewhere between turns. And if the vets find it overly annoying, they only need say so and consideration will be given...but so far, only your "non-official" PA reply has graced our communications. Now, back to my popcorn...er, empire management. :huh:

....unhijaking between popcorn breaks :huh: .......

New players feel free to check out the newsletter (currently working on 4th issue)...you can find all issues in the thread floating around with SNROTE Reader in the title :alien:

All submissions welcome.

......back to our regular program :thumbsup: (which I find amusing).........

My knowledge about the PA-MMB affiliation:

These are the facts as I know of them:

1) Darrin Anderson started the PA. He was on a mission to find as many old SN players he could get a hold of and build a strong team of players. He and I talked for several hours before the formation of the PA and even visisted face to face. I agreed to give Darrin the technology list I had at the time as a sign of good faith and good luck. He invited me to join the PA but I was reluctant because of my existing affiliations.

I attended the first PA chat meeting and was very impressed with the character and enthusiasm of the alliance as a whole. When the subject of sharing turn information came up, I knew I had to pull out in consideration of the other friendships I have in the game. We parted ways very amicably...no hard feelings.

2) Norm made contact with my dropped position (Beulah Trading Company) and we followed up with a friendly phone call. I have to say, Norm is a very bright guy who has good insights into the game and I enjoyed talking to him (as I enjoyed speaking with Darrin) Through this conversation, I learned the practice of dropping positions and trading between players. Most notably, between Norm and MMB (I think this was how their affiliation orginated.) I was stunned to learn that several players had already done this for a myriad reasons I don't want to revisit. This was, at the time, my only beef with the PA. Looking back, I over-reacted and probably should have taken a deeeeep breath before responding the way I did. My initial reactions carried over poorly with the Galactic Senate attempt and it was clear that PA was having a good time getting a reaction out of me (I probably deserved a fair share of browbeating.) Water under the bridge.

3) My good friend, Jim (Ed) Mooney, joined the game and affiliated with the PA. He informed me that MMB had joined the PA. Believe me, this was not big news to me. MMB and I never had a beef....a few of my allies did....but not me. Personally, I regret that he dropped so soon. I also discovered that something I told Darrin about something my brother suspected in a previous SN game was not well received by a certain PA member who, I hope, has dropped his pointless vendetta against me. Ah the joys of misinformation and misunderstanding. :cheers: Consider the source, I say! At this point, I presumed my relations with the PA were shot to hell, so I vanished from the banter and turned my attentions elsewhere.

4) I met with several Denver area SN players near the holidays and Martin (MMB) was in attendance. He never denied being part of the PA. But, it was clear that MMB had his own agenda and circle of trusted friends apart from the PA.

5) Lastly, it is all ancient history, now!!!

(Man we've been playing too long :D )

Martin, although despised by some, made the game more lively. I sometimes hope to think he's still floating around, making a go at revenge.

The PA, although a bit jagged in how they represent themselves, enhance the game. They've lost a couple weak positions but I'll be the first to surmise that the PA is far from dead. They have positive relations with several non-PA members. Its been whispered in a few circles that even Locklyn (notoriously anti-MMB) actively traded with a PA member and is able to separate the whole MMB/PA pile.

Galreth is more than justified in strutting around, to the victor go the spoils :cheers:

Now -- is it fair to hate the alliance if you hate a member of that alliance?

Welcome to PBM!!! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

The bottom line: The PA will have to live with their past, and restore their glory through a few victories of their own :blink:

------Bzzzzt-----Bzzzt-----

Transmission interupted.

Ok, this has been bugging me for a few years now.

I barely paid attention to the old boards and really want to know a couple of things;

1. Who is Cao Cao the Wicked/Nice/Unknown, and why did everyone seem to hate him/it?

2. Is there a connection between Cao Cao and some evil PA member?

3. Why do members of this game get bent out of shape over a wagame? (I realize some of us think this isn't a wargame but it has weapons, so get over it.)

4. Why do some of you seem irked that WHAPO exists? (which given their upfront acknoledgement that they want to go to war with anyone and a barely recognizable "alliance" (more like two bikers waving to each other on the highway) should make them more likeable to everyone.

5. Why do some players seem ---disturbed--- that someone might rant about an aspect of the game/player/dropping positions/whatever?

6. Most importantly; WHERE IS MY SHIPMENT OF STARBARS FINEST "NEWCASTLE BROWN ALE?" :D:huh::alien::blink:

Disclaimer: Take nothing in this post seriously (except #6, Kurassier)

Bzzzt------Bzzzt----

Lord Uriel

Galreth is more than justified in strutting around, to the victor go the spoils  :blink:

Eternus adds some nice flavor, I think. However, I think the line above provides some insight to me. :huh:

Valkor's goal was simply to provide a counter-weight to PA press and spark a little competitive spirit. We have found PA encounters (yes, actual encounters) wholly contrary to a spirit of cooperation. Our goal was NOT to "strut", because allied forces have taken losses to the PA empires as well, not all of them minor. They are an enemy that demands attention lest they harvest your HW.

If we have failed to simply provide a counter-weight to PA press, and crossed into the realm of arrogance, apologies are now rendered. :D We stand in opposition to the PA based on every meeting we've had with them. :alien: Valkor has not made up the facts we rely on, and offered them as one point of view to the new blood. We seek no validation and understand the enemy sees things differently...which is why we build warships and make those differences known.

Galreth is more than justified in strutting around, to the victor go the spoils  :D

. We seek no validation and understand the enemy sees things differently...which is why we build warships and make those differences known.

I love that line!

I will also build warshps so I can make my differences known! Now, to find somone to disagree with!

Lord Uriel

:cheers:

1. Who is Cao Cao the Wicked/Nice/Unknown, and why did everyone seem to hate him/it?

I don't know. He was pretty funny, though. I hope he resurfaces. I never hated him.

2. Is there a connection between Cao Cao and some evil PA member?

I wouldn't bet on it. Cao Cao sightings dropped off prior to the primacy of the PA if I recall.

3. Why do members of this game get bent out of shape over a wagame? (I realize some of us think this isn't a wargame but it has weapons, so get over it.)

Hehe. I think people are at their worst when slandered personally. Frustrations with game mechanics are a part of the turf, too. :thumbsup: By all means, revenge in PBM is a dish served cold and preferrably with several million tons in warships knocking on their homeworld

4. Why do some of you seem irked that WHAPO exists? (which given their upfront acknoledgement that they want to go to war with anyone and a barely recognizable "alliance" (more like two bikers waving to each other on the highway) should make them more likeable to everyone.

I love it! WHAPO = Hell's Angels. Hmmmm. I think you're on to something :huh: I applaud WHAPO 100% This IS a wargame. In fact I wish it were more so. I think the pace of the game results in less bad guy personalities. It is tough to be a threat to the whole galaxy when you inch along a few gnarled systems a turn and are surrounded by 4 neighbors at best.

5. Why do some players seem ---disturbed--- that someone might rant about an aspect of the game/player/dropping positions/whatever?

People are like opinions....everyone has their own? :alien: I visit otehr BBs with other games and I have to say we seem FAR more civil than most.

6. Most importantly; WHERE IS MY SHIPMENT OF STARBARS FINEST "NEWCASTLE BROWN ALE?"

I'm telling you, Sabeli Ecok better get going! They have a rep to uphold! I haven't seen a since SE ship in four years :blink:

:cheers:

Gareth-

If we have failed to simply provide a counter-weight to PA press, and crossed into the realm of arrogance, apologies are now rendered. blush.gif We stand in opposition to the PA based on every meeting we've had with them.    Valkor has not made up the facts we rely on, and offered them as one point of view to the new blood. We seek no validation and understand the enemy sees things differently...which is why we build warships and make those differences known.

This is good stuff :cheers:

Sorry about the bad terminology there....I couldn't think of the best way to say: "Galreth has every right to say it how it is, post-victory against the PA".....so I used 'strut.' I don't perceive you as arrogant at all. I also hope you don't think that I've implied that you've made up any facts, either. The PA play to win....I think your stance is fully appropriate if you intend to eliminate them from the game :D

Ok, this has been bugging me for a few years now. 

I barely paid attention to the old boards and really want to know a couple of  things; 

1.  Who is Cao Cao the Wicked/Nice/Unknown, and why did everyone seem to hate him/it?

2.  Is there a connection between Cao Cao and some evil PA member?

3.  Why do members of this game get bent out of shape over a wagame?  (I realize some of us think this isn't a wargame but it has weapons, so get over it.)

4.  Why do some of you seem irked that WHAPO exists? (which given their upfront acknoledgement that they want to go to war with anyone and a barely recognizable "alliance" (more like two bikers waving to each other on the highway) should make them more likeable to everyone.

5.  Why do some players seem ---disturbed--- that someone might rant about an aspect of the game/player/dropping positions/whatever?

6.  Most importantly; WHERE IS MY SHIPMENT OF STARBARS FINEST "NEWCASTLE BROWN ALE?"    :huh:  :alien:  :blink:  :thumbsup:

:D Those are some good questions...

1. I only have some pure conjecture there, so can't help.

2. See #1 above.

3. I attempt to evade this pitfall when possible...sometimes I am more successful than others.

4. WHAPO is fine by me...goes back to the that whole "flavor of the game" thing. They are at least up front about their view.

5. Rants are part of any group...live, PBEM, work, play, whatever. They are kind of like the hot sauce of that flavor in #4 above.

6. Well, I can't help you with that...but the local liquor store can.

Sorry about the bad terminology there....I couldn't think of the best way to say: "Galreth has every right to say it how it is, post-victory against the PA".....so I used 'strut.'    I don't perceive you as arrogant at all.  I also hope you don't think that I've implied that you've made up any facts, either.  The PA play to win....I think your stance is fully appropriate if you intend to eliminate them from the game  :D

No worries. I've found your opinions to be of integrity and thus respect them. That is why I felt a statement of clarification was warranted.

Martin, although despised by some, made the game more lively. I sometimes hope to think he's still floating around, making a go at revenge.

I am not sure he is not. He may not be posting but he does visit these boards from time to time (last time was Sunday 1/22 at 12:54 PM) and he did attack The Romans after he stated he was quitting. With MMB I have learned its the actions that count though I agree that he did add a lot of colo(u)r to the game.