Rolling Thunder Forums

Somethings Up?

General Miles Avatar

The fighters never died!  Ever on the prowl to find a way to procure some time off for a rousing game of Fizzbin, the pilots managed to magnetically lock their craft onto the outside hull of the Phoenix. They were given away when one of them got quite drunk and began shooting his point defense laser at some garbage that had been ejected from the Phoenix.  The entire complement of pilots was subsequently court-martialed and sentenced to 30 days without alcohol.  This harsh punishment seems to have done the trick, after which the lot of them began conducting themselves in a much more professional manner.....

So those strike fighters will show up on my fleet cargo report next turn?

I will assume the problem that caused them to dissappear has been corrected

but you know what they say about assuming. <_<

Yep, the pilots and their fighters are back in action even now.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fighters never died!  Ever on the prowl to find a way to procure some time off for a rousing game of Fizzbin, the pilots managed to magnetically lock their craft onto the outside hull of the Phoenix. They were given away when one of them got quite drunk and began shooting his point defense laser at some garbage that had been ejected from the Phoenix.  The entire complement of pilots was subsequently court-martialed and sentenced to 30 days without alcohol.  This harsh punishment seems to have done the trick, after which the lot of them began conducting themselves in a much more professional manner.....

Ahhhh .. just like in my battle with the NSI where my Battleship sruvived, and everything else died (including the carriers). For several turns the fleet (one Battleship, no flight decks or cargo space) showed up as having over 300 various drones and fighters in stock, ready to fight. Depserate to not be left behind in space, they had adapted their Velcronite landing technologies to bond themselves to the ship. Unfortnuately the Velcronite weakened under the strain of warp travel, and all hands were ripped off the hull into the voids of the warp.

Funny how the universe stays in balance. I got to keep Fighters and Drones for extra turns, while Zendo loses fighters only to have them reappear. A plus here, a negative here .. it all balances in the end. <_<

but you know what they say about assuming. ;)

Did you find and fix the bug, or should we be on the lookout for this problem in the future?

but you know what they say about assuming. <_<

Did you find and fix the bug, or should we be on the lookout for this problem in the future?

Pretty sure I found it.

Thats a relief. And thanks for spreading the word Pete. I guess we now know the depth of Kurrasier's perfidy. I am sure the alcohol came from a local StarBar. Hopefully every empire that uses fighters will take heed of the fiendish plot. :cheers: It would seem to be better than a CIDS at reducing fighter damage. <_<

Note to research chief: Divert all resources to transporter technology. Specifically, work to move small but potent quantities of spirits to small fighter craft as an automated process whenever hostile fighters are encountered. Develop the obvious counter, transporter shielding. Retain small research effort on CIDS to counter missiles and torps. Unless we can find an intoxicant for their guidance systems that we can beam en mass.

Octus Imperial Council of Eldars

(Now, adjurn the meeting to the nearest StarBar.)

:P

Thats a relief. And thanks for spreading the word Pete. I guess we now know the depth of Kurrasier's perfidy. I am sure the alcohol came from a local StarBar. Hopefully every empire that uses fighters will take heed of the fiendish plot. :cheers: It would seem to be better than a CIDS at reducing fighter damage. <_<

Note to research chief: Divert all resources to transporter technology. Specifically, work to move small but potent quantities of spirits to small fighter craft as an automated process whenever hostile fighters are encountered. Develop the obvious counter, transporter shielding. Retain small research effort on CIDS to counter missiles and torps. Unless we can find an intoxicant for their guidance systems that we can beam en mass.

Octus Imperial Council of Eldars

(Now, adjurn the meeting to the nearest StarBar.)

:P

Don't forget to focus your espionage corps on determining whether StarBars are present in the system of your enemy. You want to be that the fighter pilots have been trained properly.

Ahhhh .. just like in my battle with the NSI where my Battleship sruvived, and everything else died (including the carriers). For several turns the fleet (one Battleship, no flight decks or cargo space) showed up as having over 300 various drones and fighters in stock, ready to fight. Depserate to not be left behind in space, they had adapted their Velcronite landing technologies to bond themselves to the ship. Unfortnuately the Velcronite weakened under the strain of warp travel, and all hands were ripped off the hull into the voids of the warp.

Funny how the universe stays in balance. I got to keep Fighters and Drones for extra turns, while Zendo loses fighters only to have them reappear. A plus here, a negative here .. it all balances in the end. :)

Alien Fleet Sighting : Warp Point # 80985 [in-system move by empire # 500]

[stellar cartography reports that Warp Point # 80985 has not yet been surveyed by your scouts]

# '(Ugly) Flying Snake Holding A Beaker In One Hand And A Vial In The Other'

Fleet 10281 [Romeo]

1 FS Ssscanner (Fleet Scout - 1,000 tons)

Fleet 7003 [Tango]

1 CCA Little Wing II (Command Cruiser - 789,900 tons)

================================================================================

=========================================

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

** NAVAL BATTLE REPORT **

----- [ M (Red) 7 V ] [single Star] - Warp Point 80985 -----

Zendo Mar Hierarchy #500 Total tonnage: 500,000 Base Fire Control: 2 [1,350,000 bridge]

Total tonnage: 790,900 Base Fire Control: 1 [209,000 bridge]

** Imperial Navy Report: Fleet Order of Battle **

Friday, January 27, 2006 Zendo Mar Hierarchy 500 Page 3 of 55

Zendo Mar Hierarchy # 500 [A Shining Blue Giant Star Inside A Circular Field Of Green]

4th Fleet [ROE: Z] *Column Attack* (Fleet Tonnage: 500,000)

Cargo Bays: ... 11,000 Fighter Bays: ... 6 ...

Voyager Victor Hugo ... Professor Moriarty

600 Strike Fighter

--------------------[Deploy Location 7] 1 CA Comanche (Heavy Cruiser - 500,000 tons [each])---------------------------------

Fire Control: Phenomenal .. Maneuverability: Fleet .. Sensors: Average .. Shields: None .. Structural Integrity: Durable

50,000 Cordellium Composite .... 6 Fighter Bay .... 20 Heavy P-Cannon .... 2 Mk I Energy Absorber Grid .... 4 Type A Black

Sphere Generator .... 4 Type A Plasma Torpedo (Plasma Torpedo)

[(Ugly) Flying Snake Holding A Beaker In One Hand And A Vial In The Other]

Fleet 7003 [ROE: T] *Englobe* (Fleet Tonnage: 789,900)

Cargo Bays: ... 5,000 Fighter Bays: ... 20 ...

2,000 Fighter

--------------------[Deploy Location 7] 1 CCA Little Wing II (Command Cruiser - 789,900 tons [each])------------------------

Fire Control: Excellent .. Maneuverability: Fleet .. Sensors: Oblivious .. Shields: Stable .. Structural Integrity: Durable

1,000 4cm Gatling Gauss Gun CIDS .... 20 Fighter Bay .... 513 Mk III Force Shield .... 200,000 Selenite Battle Weave

Fleet 10281 [ROE: R] *Column Attack* (Fleet Tonnage: 1,000)

--------------------[Deploy Location 7] 1 FS Ssscanner (Fleet Scout - 1,000 tons [each])------------------------------------

Fire Control: Minimal .. Maneuverability: Clumsy .. Sensors: Sensitive .. Shields: None .. Structural Integrity: Average

-------------------------------------------------- DepLoc 7 ------------------------------------------------------------

**MINOR DAMAGE** CA Comanche (Heavy Cruiser - 500,000 tons) [integrity: 3,194,000] (Green, Timid)

100 Battle Imaging System, 11,000 Cargo Bay, 50,000 Cordellium Composite, 6 Fighter Bay, 10 Fuel Shuttle

25,000 Fuel Tankage, 20 Heavy P-Cannon, 2 Mk I Energy Absorber Grid, 8 Mk I Mass Detector Sensor

50 Mk III Computer System, 2 Mk III Jump Survey Sensor, 1,500 Mk IV Nuclear Engine, 1 Nuclear Transwarp Drive

20 SLY-1 Intelligence Sensor Package, 4 Type A Black Sphere Generator, 4 Type A Plasma Torpedo

Plasma: 352,000, Plasma Torpedo: 422,400

Black Sphere: 0.200, Displacement: 0.032, Field Stabilization: 0.200, Maneuverability: 6.000

Point Defense: 0.240, Sensors: 0.296

-------------------------------------------------- DepLoc 7 ------------------------------------------------------------

**DESTROYED** [1st] FS Ssscanner (Fleet Scout - 1,000 tons) [integrity: 900] (Green, Timid)

100 Fuel Tankage, 2 Mk I Medium Range Sensor, 1 Mk I Nuclear Engine, 1 Mk I Nuclear Jump Drive

5 Mk I Short Range Sensor

Maneuverability: 0.300, Point Defense: 200.000, Sensors: 2.250

**DESTROYED** [2nd] CCA Little Wing II (Command Cruiser - 789,900 tons) [integrity: 4,645,400] [shields: 820,800] (Green,

Timid)

1,000 4cm Gatling Gauss Gun CIDS, 1 Battle Imaging System, 5,000 Cargo Bay, 20 Fighter Bay

10 Fuel Shuttle, 80,000 Fuel Tankage, 100 Mk I Medium Range Sensor, 50 Mk II Computer System

1,975 Mk II Fusion Engine, 513 Mk III Force Shield, 1 Nuclear Transwarp Drive, 200,000 Selenite Battle Weave

Maneuverability: 5.000, Point Defense: 0.379, Sensors: 0.063

================================================================================

And this is yet another interesting fighter skirmish. My 'Survey Ship' had

a few other weapons besides fighters though and hence vaporized the alien

ships. all fighter craft on both sides were destroyed.

Alien Fleet Sighting :  Warp Point # 80985 [in-system move by empire # 500]

[stellar cartography reports that Warp Point # 80985 has not yet been surveyed by your scouts]

#  '(Ugly) Flying Snake Holding A Beaker In One Hand And A Vial In The Other'

Fleet 10281 [Romeo]

Fleet 7003 [Tango]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----  [ M (Red) 7 V ] [single Star] - Warp Point 80985 -----

Zendo Mar Hierarchy #500 Total tonnage: 500,000 Base Fire Control: 2 [1,350,000 bridge]

Zendo Mar Hierarchy # 500 [A Shining Blue Giant Star Inside A Circular Field Of Green]

600 Strike Fighter

--------------------[Deploy Location 7] 1 CA Comanche (Heavy Cruiser - 500,000 tons [each])---------------------------------

Fire Control: Phenomenal .. Maneuverability: Fleet .. Sensors: Average .. Shields: None .. Structural Integrity: Durable

50,000 Cordellium Composite .... 6 Fighter Bay .... 20 Heavy P-Cannon .... 2 Mk I Energy Absorber Grid .... 4 Type A Black

2,000 Fighter

--------------------[Deploy Location 7] 1 CCA Little Wing II (Command Cruiser - 789,900 tons [each])------------------------

Fire Control: Excellent .. Maneuverability: Fleet .. Sensors: Oblivious .. Shields: Stable .. Structural Integrity: Durable

1,000 4cm Gatling Gauss Gun CIDS .... 20 Fighter Bay .... 513 Mk III Force Shield .... 200,000 Selenite Battle Weave

--------------------[Deploy Location 7] 1 FS Ssscanner (Fleet Scout - 1,000 tons [each])------------------------------------

Fire Control: Minimal .. Maneuverability: Clumsy .. Sensors: Sensitive .. Shields: None .. Structural Integrity: Average

**MINOR DAMAGE** CA Comanche (Heavy Cruiser - 500,000 tons) [integrity: 3,194,000] (Green, Timid)

100 Battle Imaging System, 11,000 Cargo Bay, 50,000 Cordellium Composite, 6 Fighter Bay, 10 Fuel Shuttle

25,000 Fuel Tankage, 20 Heavy P-Cannon, 2 Mk I Energy Absorber Grid, 8 Mk I Mass Detector Sensor

50 Mk III Computer System, 2 Mk III Jump Survey Sensor, 1,500 Mk IV Nuclear Engine, 1 Nuclear Transwarp Drive

20 SLY-1 Intelligence Sensor Package, 4 Type A Black Sphere Generator, 4 Type A Plasma Torpedo

Black Sphere: 0.200, Displacement: 0.032, Field Stabilization: 0.200, Maneuverability: 6.000

**DESTROYED** [1st] FS Ssscanner (Fleet Scout - 1,000 tons) [integrity: 900] (Green, Timid)

100 Fuel Tankage, 2 Mk I Medium Range Sensor, 1 Mk I Nuclear Engine, 1 Mk I Nuclear Jump Drive

**DESTROYED** [2nd] CCA Little Wing II (Command Cruiser - 789,900 tons) [integrity: 4,645,400] [shields: 820,800] (Green,

Timid)

1,000 4cm Gatling Gauss Gun CIDS, 1 Battle Imaging System, 5,000 Cargo Bay, 20 Fighter Bay

10 Fuel Shuttle, 80,000 Fuel Tankage, 100 Mk I Medium Range Sensor, 50 Mk II Computer System

1,975 Mk II Fusion Engine, 513 Mk III Force Shield, 1 Nuclear Transwarp Drive, 200,000 Selenite Battle Weave

ships.  all fighter craft on both sides were destroyed.

The key here is the 1000 ton FS Scanner ship, having no weapons or defenses, had a point defense rating of 200.00. How? Fighters provide Point Defense for all ships in the fleet .. equally. IE .. The Fighters launched from the CCA Little Wing II provided "X" points of point defense protection to the FS. It provided the SAME defense to the CCA (which also has the 1000 CIDS) for added punch.

Now from one angle, this makes sense. Image the fighters being launched as air cover. They then go after attacking fighters as they approach a target. Small target + Lots of fighters means LOTS of ability to intercept incoming drones and fighters. But ... this sharing of fighter cover as coded makes small ship screens virtually impreganable to fighters and drones.

Imagine if you will one carrier sitting in Deploy Location 12 lauches defense fighters. In deploy location 1 you have 1000 small screen ships. The fighters grant these ships with no other defenses a 100, 200, 300, or more Point defense. The net result is the Point Defense ratings are so high, your fighters and drones are wiped out within 2 rounds of battle, most never firing a shot.

SO .. what happened to you was your fighters came rushing in. With a Fire Control of 1, you targetted one ship. On some round, you must have targetted the FS ship. And as all your fighers rushed this one lone ship, they got shot down out of the sky, completely and totally, in one round of fire, as the Point Defense of the FS was so high they didn't stand a chance. Of course, you defeated the CCA, so all of it's fighters die at the end of battle.

At least this is what I say happened. I'm basing this on this battle plus my own similar experiences. Perhaps Pete would be willing to illuminate us on this and confirm this is the case, :cheers: or explain how I'm so wrong some type of drinking must have been involved :D or at least explain why fighters seem to get vaporized versus such high Point defense ships :oops:. I'd really like to hear from Pete if all the fighters destroyed in one round of battle? How many were destroyed when the FS ship was targetted (I'm betting at least 90%).

Three plus years of gaming, and we're still learning.... :drunk::)

Alien Fleet Sighting :  Warp Point # 80985 [in-system move by empire # 500]

#  '(Ugly) Flying Snake Holding A Beaker In One Hand And A Vial In The Other'

Fleet 10281 [Romeo]

Fleet 7003 [Tango]

-----  [ M (Red) 7 V ] [single Star] - Warp Point 80985 -----

600 Strike Fighter

2,000 Fighter

Timid)

ships.  all fighter craft on both sides were destroyed.

The key here is the 1000 ton FS Scanner ship, having no weapons or defenses, had a point defense rating of 200.00. How? Fighters provide Point Defense for all ships in the fleet .. equally. IE .. The Fighters launched from the CCA Little Wing II provided "X" points of point defense protection to the FS. It provided the SAME defense to the CCA (which also has the 1000 CIDS) for added punch.

Now from one angle, this makes sense. Image the fighters being launched as air cover. They then go after attacking fighters as they approach a target. Small target + Lots of fighters means LOTS of ability to intercept incoming drones and fighters. But ... this sharing of fighter cover as coded makes small ship screens virtually impreganable to fighters and drones.

Imagine if you will one carrier sitting in Deploy Location 12 lauches defense fighters. In deploy location 1 you have 1000 small screen ships. The fighters grant these ships with no other defenses a 100, 200, 300, or more Point defense. The net result is the Point Defense ratings are so high, your fighters and drones are wiped out within 2 rounds of battle, most never firing a shot.

SO .. what happened to you was your fighters came rushing in. With a Fire Control of 1, you targetted one ship. On some round, you must have targetted the FS ship. And as all your fighers rushed this one lone ship, they got shot down out of the sky, completely and totally, in one round of fire, as the Point Defense of the FS was so high they didn't stand a chance. Of course, you defeated the CCA, so all of it's fighters die at the end of battle.

At least this is what I say happened. I'm basing this on this battle plus my own similar experiences. Perhaps Pete would be willing to illuminate us on this and confirm this is the case, :cheers: or explain how I'm so wrong some type of drinking must have been involved :D or at least explain why fighters seem to get vaporized versus such high Point defense ships :oops:. I'd really like to hear from Pete if all the fighters destroyed in one round of battle? How many were destroyed when the FS ship was targetted (I'm betting at least 90%).

Three plus years of gaming, and we're still learning.... :drunk::)

actually the FC of my Heavy Cruiser was 2 so the strike fighters must have targetted both ships and my ship also targeted both or so I'm assuming.

what gets me is how little damage his 2000 fighters did. We were outnumbered

3 to 1 but then my strike fighters are 1 gen level better and we also (most likely)

had better pulse engine tech for our fighters.

I agree with you however that I dont have a clue how many fighters we shot down

as my cruiser blew up his cruiser. I also dont know how many(if any at all) his 1000 ton screen ship shot down with its massive PD rating. Or how many

his ship shot down with its 1000 PD weapons which BTW were a very small % of

his hull size. But........

Taking some numbers from the Combat doc we get....

PD accuracy(4)*10000*.2/ (4+3)=1143 tons or 12 strike fighters killed by the

PD weapons of the Command cruiser per round. The fighters of the enemy

probably shot down some as well but we really dont know how the PD of fighter

craft function except to enhance the PD umbrella of the fleet

My strike fighters must have really decimated the enemy fighters or my cruiser

was just too manuverable to sustain much damage from the lower gen level fighters.

In the end we dont know how long the battle took(probably quite a few combat rounds) as my cruisers plasma weapons would have been degraded by a hefty amount at our deployment location and the enemy ship did have an integrity rating of over 4 million.

Perhaps a little blurb at the end of a battle like .

after 25 rounds of combat fleet a destroyes fleet b. at least we will have a basis

from which to figure out what actually happened and how weapons functioned.

well in the ball park anyhue. There are still a few other variables like racial bonuses and leaders.

Based on the integrity of the ships involved and the lack of weapons on the destroyed CCA, I would say that the battle lasted a good deal of time. The FS was toasted on the intitial volly as there is no way it could have survived. Since all damage is divided equally between targets, only 1/2 othe fighters would have targeted the FS anyway. The high PD for the FS was the rating of the fighters compared to the tonnage of the FS. The fighters will do a static amount of damage, it just looks like more because the ship was small.

The strike fighters are twice as good as the Fighters so they would destroy twice as many "fighters" as the Fighters and the would also be twice as tough.

Since the CCA had some decent CIDS the Strike fighters would have eventually been destroyed. The Fighters pack little offensive punch so the battle went to the CA with some offensive firepower. Even suffering 60% reduction in FP due to range the CA was still kicking out 200k+ in damage per volley/round.

So if you figured the fighters were a wash it would have taken about 25-30 rounds for the CA to finally pound the CCA into rubble. In the mean time, the Fighters from the CA were inflicting minimal damage to the CA due to being low tech and a defensive range bonus for the CA.

In the end I think there were fighters remaining that ditched when their carrier was finally destroyed.

At least, that is how I look at it.

:):D:cheers:

I stand corrected .. I had forgotten the PD formula was published.

Lets see, the enemy had 2000 strike fighters. Considering those all alone, thats Accuracy 2, 2000*100 = 200,000, so 2 x 200000 x .2 = 80,000 tons before divisors.

You have strike fighters (Avoidence 4), and I'll assume 3 lvls of pulse engines (per your earlier message. So the divisor is 7. 80,000 / 7 = 11,428 tons ... or 114 Strike Fighters lost from the defending fighters.

Add in the 12 from the PD defenese for the Gatlings, and you should have lost 126 strike fighters in the first round of battle.

On his side, doing similar calcs, he would lose 160 fighters (a dent in the 2000).

Overall, after 6 rounds of battle (assuming the fighter numbers are adjusted each round), your strike fighters would be wiped out. He would still have about 1300+ fighters.

But the fighters were his only weapon. And as a low level item, they lack much punch. While you were dishing out close to 100,000 points (reduced for any bonuses he gets at Dep Loc 7), his fighters were chewing up a lot less on you. So, after 60+rounds of battle, you finally took down the shields and all his integrity.

I really think Pete should tell us at a minimum how many fighters were lost in the battle. It is something our ships should be able to track in battle. I can't imagine it taking more than a few lines of code to add this to the bottom of the battle report.

Actually the battle report should have an end of battle summary at end. It should list things like total tonnage destroyed on each side. How many rounds the battle lasted. Fighter/Drone losses. Total damage inflicted / SI destroyed. How much damage was avoided by special defenses. Special characters killed. Etc. Some of this we can calculate ourselves (total tonnage lost) but why should the players have to do the math when it would be trivial for the computer to do it for us? Endeavor to make the customer's life easier.

I would have thought that the Fighter Operations order chosen would also effect the damage done by the Fighters. Any idea what order was chosen?

Another question. I thought all fighters/drones attacked as though they were at DL 1 no matter where they were launched from and no matter where the target was. Is that incorrect?

You are correct. Fighters will always fight from DepLoc 1. At issue here was the defensive bonus that you get for not being in Deploc 1.

Even if the fighters are in DepLoc 1 their damage will still be reduced by any defensive bonus that the target has. In this case the target was sitting in Deploc 6 or 7. If you figured 5% per location back from the front you would get a bonus of about 25-30%. This would reduce all incoming fire by 25-30% before accounting for any other ship based defensive systems.

:drunk:

You are correct.  Fighters will always fight from DepLoc 1.  At issue here was the defensive bonus that you get for not being in Deploc 1. 

Even if the fighters are in DepLoc 1 their damage will still be reduced by any defensive bonus that the target has.  In this case the target was sitting in Deploc 6 or 7.  If you figured 5% per location back from the front you would get a bonus of about 25-30%.  This would reduce all incoming fire by 25-30% before accounting for any other ship based defensive systems.

:drunk:

sounds about right and then add in the fact that the 'missiles' fired by the fighters

were the same generation as the fighters themselves ie Gen 2 which would have given thier missiles an agility of 2. My ships manuver rating was 4 so the damage was reduced at least an additional 50 percent perhaps more.

My ship was using standard line battle formation and my strike fighters were using

the Cover FOO.