Rolling Thunder Forums

Neutronium

Prospective

Yes, there are plenty of horizon techs that are not X Generation of this or that.

I don't understand the bit about explore finds being related to what you already know. It used to be the case that your scientists would help on any tech taht you already had some research, but that was changed long ago.

:)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EXPL finds that are an actual item are related to what you can (or are about to be able to) research, i.e. you're researching MkI Spitwad, you may find some MkII Spitwads.

However, my EXPL tech hits include stuff for things I currently have no idea of how to get to.

Is this right? I thought we are able to find items which are 3 levels up the tech tree, but nothing higher. Not sure how this is affected with advanced science labs, etc.

EXPL finds that are an actual item are related to what you can (or are about to be able to) research, i.e. you're researching MkI Spitwad, you may find some MkII Spitwads.

However, my EXPL tech hits include stuff for things I currently have no idea of how to get to.

Is this right? I thought we are able to find items which are 3 levels up the tech tree, but nothing higher. Not sure how this is affected with advanced science labs, etc.

:cheers:

Well, I may not be that far up the tech paths then :)

:cheers:

Well, I may not be that far up the tech paths then :)

Interesting discussion and news to me. Now I need to go back and look at items found. Tech advances from faciltites can be very advanced (got something that escapes me right now at Mk VIII just last turn.) But don't remember how advanced items found could be. Did just find Cloak Type A items this last turn, so using the assumptions above, I must be close to that tech tree.

Sort of a side bar discussion, but have others noticed that Scientists make advances MUCH more frequently when waltzing around the galaxy on ships than stuck in some ivory tower planet side?

Octus Imperium

The scientists that are located around the galaxy do seem to do better than the ones sitting on the HW, but there again I don't have many so it may not be relevant.

But so far, my intrepid explorers haven't found anything (physically) much higher up the tech tree than what I'm researching. Mind you, those blue sky research types: FFS-6 Fleet Formation Scanner, sitting about day dreaming obviously has benefits! :)

The scientists that are located around the galaxy do seem to do better than the ones sitting on the HW, but there again I don't have many so it may not be relevant.

But so far, my intrepid explorers haven't found anything (physically) much higher up the tech tree than what I'm researching.  Mind you, those blue sky research types: FFS-6 Fleet Formation Scanner, sitting about day dreaming obviously has benefits!  :)

For physical items, my explorers seem to be finding about 2 tech levels over my current tech level as a maximum. They also seem to find a lot of processed radioactives.

For tech advances, it is all over the place. Again though I have had a lot of hits on Advanced Processed Radioactives.

Item finds are supposed to be completely random and have very little to do with what you are or are not researching. You can now find stuff up to level 4 items. My main exploration empire has a stockpile 3+ pages long with all the stuff that has been found and very little of it has had any relation to anything that was in the research queue at the time.

I haven't noticed my voyaging scientists to be particularly effective at breakthroughs.

I haven't noticed my voyaging scientists to be particularly effective at breakthroughs.

I have found the following to be trends amongst my Scientists:

1) Scientists assigned to Fleets that execute orders tend to get promoted faster than those who sit idle.

2) Unassigned Scientists tend to have more breakthoughs than those assigned to Fleets.

3) You can have only one Chief [Level 7] Scientist.

Thus, Scientists on Fleets that don't execute orders are wasted.

FWIW,

-SK :drunk:

1) Scientists assigned to Fleets that execute orders tend to get promoted faster than those who sit idle.

2) Unassigned Scientists tend to have more breakthoughs than those assigned to Fleets.

FWIW,

SK, isn't #3 true for every class of character so that you can only ahve one level 7 explorer, one level 7 diplomat, one level 7 Naval Officer, etc. or is it limited just to scientists?

We've only seen one 7th level character per type.

We love when our Chief Scientist gives us a breakthrough. He is sitting on an EXPL fleet in the home system...but we think we've about exhausted the world it is sitting over; it is probably time to move them one to greener pastures

-LX

SK, isn't #3 true for every class of character so that you can only ahve one level 7 explorer, one level 7 diplomat, one level 7 Naval Officer, etc. or is it limited just to scientists?

FWIW,

I can't address items 1 and 3, but my experience is exactly the opposite for #2. My unassigned Scientists have very rare breakthroughs, while my lead guy on a fleet is good for a breakthrough nearly every third turn. Perhpas racial modifiers are in play (Military Imperium with Exploration, modest research modifiers). But I am now loading every scientist on a fleet! They may be on advanced WP Surveys or they may be on XEXPL standing order duty, but they will be on fleets.

Interesting difference in experience.

Octus Imperium

And please don't say "absolutely nothing"... :huh:

Last turn, one of my explorations fleets came across this:

Exploration teams from Fleet #306 search xxxxxxxxxxx for anything of interest, and discover a long-deserted colony here!

They examine their discovery quite closely, and much is learned concerning Neutronium technology!

My question here would be.... can we do an ANZ on it and why doesn't it show up in our RTD (for those types of items?) or researchable items list?????

Mk III Flux Capacitor for example only.

It will show up in your RTD as a tech item that you have completed some research. It will not show up on the researchable list until you can normally research it. When you eventually get to research the item you will already have some of it completed, albeit a very small amount unless you have a lot of hits on the same thing.

:huh: