Rolling Thunder Forums

Neutronium

Prospective

It will show up in your RTD as a tech item that you have completed some research.  It will not show up on the researchable list until you can normally research it.  When you eventually get to research the item you will already have some of it completed, albeit a very small amount unless you have a lot of hits on the same thing.

:P

Didn't show up in RTD :D at all.....

oh well..... add it to a spreadsheet list of "things" I guess :huh:

Morgwen -- :laugh:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will show up in your RTD as a tech item that you have completed some research.  It will not show up on the researchable list until you can normally research it.  When you eventually get to research the item you will already have some of it completed, albeit a very small amount unless you have a lot of hits on the same thing.

:P

Didn't show up in RTD :D at all.....

oh well..... add it to a spreadsheet list of "things" I guess :huh:

Morgwen -- :laugh:

I use Phasedragon's Galaxy spreadsheet to keep track of these items because I don't believe it will show up on your RTD until it is something you have now or can research. Even items that you physicially have in your posession but that you cannot research will not show up there even though you can ANZ them.

Things in stockpile will not show up on the RTD listing, you just get to play with them and ANZ them at will. When you do explore orders and get a tech advance like this;

Exploration teams from Fleet #114 search Shaw-13b for anything of interest, and discover Ancient Technology here!

They examine their discovery quite closely, and much is learned concerning Mk III Fusion Jump Drive technology!

When I do an RTD I get Mk III Fusions as a tech taht now ahs some research associated with it.

This is how it is suppose to work. If it doesn't seem to be working then it may be an issue for Pete to look into.

:huh:

Things in stockpile will not show up on the RTD listing, you just get to play with them and ANZ them at will.  When you do explore orders and get a tech advance like this;

Exploration teams from Fleet #114 search Shaw-13b for anything of interest, and discover Ancient Technology here!

They examine their discovery quite closely, and much is learned concerning Mk III Fusion Jump Drive technology!

When I do an RTD I get Mk III Fusions as a tech taht now ahs some research associated with it. 

This is how it is suppose to work.  If it doesn't seem to be working then it may be an issue for Pete to look into.

Neutronium is a special item - you'll need enough lucky exploration hits in it to open something up.

Thanks Pete!!!! I had been wondering along those lines (using brute force EXPL in order to get a breakthru), and I think you've pretty much confirmed it.

Of course the next question is, what ship design strategies will provide increased liklihood of making breakthru's in EXPL....

Would you care to sound off on that?

Thanks Pete!!!!  I had been wondering along those lines (using brute force EXPL in order to get a breakthru), and I think you've pretty much confirmed it.

Of course the next question is, what ship design strategies will provide increased  liklihood of making breakthru's in EXPL....

Would you care to sound off on that?

Sure - exploration, science and lifeform modifiers can help increase your chances at getting EXPL hits on a world. Items that come to mind include the SLY-x Intelligence Sensor Package series, Short/Medium/Long Range Sensors, Universal Translators, Mass Detectors, Survey Landers, Science Drones, Science Labs, Picket Drones...might be others that I can't recall offhand. Mental powers help along with any lifeform feature that adds to your exploration modifier. Some installations and leaders help as well. A good ship design can overwhelm all of these bonuses, assuming you've got a lot of exploration or science items on the ship, because a ship could conceivably be very big.

The types of finds already present on a world can modify what you end up getting.

Oh, and the Mk I Luck Generator....just a question of getting lucky when it comes to getting something like Neutronium to pop up.

Thanks again Pete, I appreciate the responses.

One thing that I wonder about your last response. You stated:

"A good ship design can overwhelm all of these bonuses, assuming you've got a lot of exploration or science items on the ship"

Now, I know of your fondness for exponents. In many other instances (Research centers come to mind), simply adding more RC's to a particular item of research does not give you a linear bonus.

So, knowing of the fondness for exponents, your response that "having a lot of exploration or science items on the ship" puzzles me a bit. I mean, I could put up a design that has 1000 SLY-x sensor packages on it, but wouldn't it be more effective if I had say 1 SLY-x sensor, 1 LR sensor, 1 MR sensor, 1 SR sensor, 1 UT, etc...

Can you clarify? Did you actually mean that having multiples of an item will "overwhelm these bonuses" or did you mean that having multiple TYPES of science items will "overwhelm these bonuses"?

Thanks again!!!

Why picket drones? Do you mean anything with a sensor rating?

If so, is having several different items with sensor ratings better than a lot of one thing with the same sensor rating, assuming total equivalent tonnages and equal ratings (all "adequate" for example)?

Things in stockpile will not show up on the RTD listing, you just get to play with them and ANZ them at will.  When you do explore orders and get a tech advance like this;

This is how it is suppose to work.  If it doesn't seem to be working then it may be an issue for Pete to look into.

OK. I will try that next time I submit a turn. Can you also do an ANZ on research breakthroughs you make through EXPL?

One thing that I wonder about your last response.  You stated:

"A good ship design can overwhelm all of these bonuses, assuming you've got a lot of exploration or science items on the ship"

Now, I know of your fondness for exponents.  In many other instances (Research centers come to mind), simply adding more RC's to a particular item of research does not give you a linear bonus.

So, knowing of the fondness for exponents, your response that "having a lot of exploration or science items on the ship" puzzles me a bit.  I mean, I could put up a design that has 1000 SLY-x sensor packages on it, but wouldn't it be more effective if I had say 1 SLY-x sensor, 1 LR sensor, 1 MR sensor, 1 SR sensor, 1 UT, etc...

Can you clarify?  Did you actually mean that having multiples of an item will "overwhelm these bonuses" or did you mean that having multiple TYPES of science items will "overwhelm these bonuses"?

Thanks again!!!

I do indeed like to use square root and similar formulas, to discourage number crunchers from finding the "only" item that's worth using. Still, there are so many different items that are useful for a ship design that a good exploration vessel can go a long way toward adding substantial bonuses to an EXPL mission. Also, I don't always use x ^ 0.5 Sometimes it's more favorable, sometimes less.

Why picket drones?  Do you mean anything with a sensor rating? 

If so, is having several different items with sensor ratings better than a lot of one thing with the same sensor rating, assuming total equivalent tonnages and equal ratings (all "adequate" for example)?

Not everything with a sensor rating; I just happened to remember them as an item that helped with EXPL missions.

Picket Drones can remain on station for extended durations and are often used to spot and track enemy movements.

This makes them interesting items for long-duration exploration of an entire world. However, they could be destroyed in battle, making them somewhat vulnerable. Most good exploration ships that I've seen use a combination of survey landers, various sensors and universal translators combined with solid lifeform bonuses. Picket Drones have other uses, and thus cannot be as efficient at exploration as more dedicated EXPL items such as Survey Landers.

Now, I know of your fondness for exponents.  In many other instances (Research centers come to mind), simply adding more RC's to a particular item of research does not give you a linear bonus.

So, knowing of the fondness for exponents, your response that "having a lot of exploration or science items on the ship" puzzles me a bit.  I mean, I could put up a design that has 1000 SLY-x sensor packages on it, but wouldn't it be more effective if I had say 1 SLY-x sensor, 1 LR sensor, 1 MR sensor, 1 SR sensor, 1 UT, etc...

Can you clarify?  Did you actually mean that having multiples of an item will "overwhelm these bonuses" or did you mean that having multiple TYPES of science items will "overwhelm these bonuses"?

Thanks again!!!

I do indeed like to use square root and similar formulas, to discourage number crunchers from finding the "only" item that's worth using. Still, there are so many different items that are useful for a ship design that a good exploration vessel can go a long way toward adding substantial bonuses to an EXPL mission. Also, I don't always use x ^ 0.5 Sometimes it's more favorable, sometimes less.

I don't really follow that answer to Prospective's question. In general terms, is it better to use large numbers of the best exploration systems, or as many different types exploration systems as possible on the ship? Assume equal total tonnages of both cases.

Basically, it can be a real hassle to build a bunch of different systems. Lots of BI order blocks.

P.S. I don't know where the new improved communicative Pete came from, but I like him more than the old too busy Pete.

Thanks again!!!

I don't really follow that answer to Prospective's question. In general terms, is it better to use large numbers of the best exploration systems, or as many different types exploration systems as possible on the ship? Assume equal total tonnages of both cases.

Basically, it can be a real hassle to build a bunch of different systems. Lots of BI order blocks.

P.S. I don't know where the new improved communicative Pete came from, but I like him more than the old too busy Pete.

It's not a square root formula (nothing that severe) - a few systems that boost exploration will do just fine. More is definitely better.