Rolling Thunder Forums

Variant Technology

Magus666

Yes, ship classes came in bunches and were tech level related. EAchclass of ship had it's own design requirements and they got bigger as your tech got higher. Early on you could only build relatively small ships, so you had lots of them. The problem with this was a 50 ship/fleet limit and a hard limit on the number of fleets you could have.

:beer:

Yes, ship classes came in bunches and were tech level related.  EAchclass of ship had it's own design requirements and they got bigger as your tech got higher.  Early on you could only build relatively small ships, so you had lots of them.  The problem with this was a 50 ship/fleet limit and a hard limit on the number of fleets you could have.

:beer:

Sounds very similar to SN 1. I am wondering what the difference was.

What I was referring to was a much older game (not Rolling Thunder), call StarMaster. It was a PBM scifi empire building game during the early and mid '80s. It had a similar structure in that as your tech level increased you got access to bigger ships, better weapons, new classes of ground units, etc.

What I was referring to was a much older game (not Rolling Thunder), call StarMaster. It was a PBM scifi empire building game during the early and mid '80s. It had a similar structure in that as your tech level increased you got access to bigger ships, better weapons, new classes of ground units, etc.

Was that the Schubel and Sons game? If I remember both Pete and Russ worked for Schubel and Sons and I believe that is where the inspiration for SN I came from.

Yes, thats actually what I was talking about. I started playing StarMaster in...1981 I think (yes, Im that old :beer: ). Lol...I think I still have my "Encyclopedia Galactica", or whatever it was called, tucked away in a box somewhere. Oddly, I just stumbled across the RTG website a couple weeks ago and thought...hey, that looks a little like that game I used to play...25 years ago.

Yes, thats actually what I was talking about. I started playing StarMaster in...1981 I think (yes, Im that old :beer: ). Lol...I think I still have my "Encyclopedia Galactica", or whatever it was called, tucked away in a box somewhere. Oddly, I just stumbled across the RTG website a couple weeks ago and thought...hey, that looks a little like that game I used to play...25 years ago.

Well I had always wanted to play in Starmaster but the cost structure always put me off since the larger your empire got, the more you paid. I was very excited to see that RTG had created a similar game with a more palatable cost structure and so I signed up. B)