Rolling Thunder Forums

New post

Mourngrym

Honestly, raise a claw, tentacle or slimy eyelid if you've had Powerplants shut down because you forgot to send the fuels, scrapped the ships and didn't build new ones, had the convoy ships blown out of space by a bored neighbourly pirate etc etc

RAISES....petal?

I've noticed that once your production reaches a certain level, the hair-splitting over power efficiency becomes less important. Where do you put those resources you 'save' on such efficiencies? Sometimes resource 'savings' end up on the other side of the map, useless for much else than picket ships or exploration of systems that you might get to sometime in the year 2010 (real time :P)

With that said, I always use Hydro/GEO PPs if there is a Hydro/Geo yield and for colonies that I know I'll be maxing out, I'll usually do the Hydros anyway.....even though its more efficient to build coal/Fission/Fusion. Makes my convoy routes cleaner and I hate doing excludes on my LC/OC orders.

My two seeds.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... I'm using hydro plants on several worlds which meet this criteria.

I've a planet with plenty of water.....all frozen. :P

Is there any use for hydroplants on frozen worlds?

Greetings,

Koenus

There are under certain circumstances. As this discussion shows there is a wide ranging set of opinions on when they are useful.

I've a planet with plenty of water.....all frozen.  :blink:

Is there any use for hydroplants on frozen worlds?

Greetings,

Koenus

The same use as on other worlds... to generate 1000+ power. What I like about htem is that once your colony is to large that it outgrows 2 hydro plants, it is large enough to produce its own radioactives if needed. so tear down the 2 hydro and reassemble them into a fission plant. You should have quite a stockpile of processed radioactives (or water if you have fusion plants by then).

It takes awhile to build a colony large enough to use all 2000 power so you have plenty of time to make provisions for a fuel source. We use Grimloids as a fuel source. They combust well when cracked open and are plentiful, tho somewhat challenging to collect.

We use Grimloids as a fuel source. They combust well when cracked open and are plentiful, tho somewhat challenging to collect.

Im sorry, but the Interplanetary EPA has declared that Grimloids are a form of toxic waste and it is illegal to burn them on any inhabited planet. The recommended method of disposal is shooting them into the nearest available black hole.