Rolling Thunder Forums

Aestetics or Mechanics?

Magus666

Yes,

But that would mean more coding or fiddling with the code and Pete has WAY more things to actually fix in the game before he starts fiddling with that, at least in my book where this Gremloid is still waiting for a complete and accurate Naval Combat Document and revised Rules that reflect the actual game and much more :woohoo:

Cheers

/Locklyn

I suppose thats true. At least having rules that accurately reflect the actual game IS a little important. :D But I do keep hearing that there are "more important" upgrades and fixes to the program that Pete is working on. Im getting curious as to what they actually ARE....

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...As are we all...

SNROE was launched prematurely and slowly Pete is catching up with some problems as well as implementing features that he didn't seem to have had time to put in initially and the game is growing towards the great wargame it can be. I wouldn't really call it a 4X game since there is really not much else to do in the universe to do than beat up a neighbour you don't like. You can trade with other neighbours to get shinier and bigger sticks to beath those neighbours you don't like. You can team up with other neighbours to beat up a solitary neighbour but otherwise it is much about building stuff to build bigger sticks. There is no story hidden in the universe, no Imperial Colonies holding out against these new upstarts, no vast Tckon Fleet looking to reclaim the universe in a long lost forgotten empires name but there are a lot of fun players with big shiny sticks, so get out there and meet new aliens and see who has the biggest, longest and shiniest one! :woohoo:

/Locklyn

There is no story hidden in the universe, no Imperial Colonies holding out against these new upstarts, no vast Tckon Fleet looking to reclaim the universe in a long lost forgotten empires name but there are a lot of fun players with big shiny sticks, so get out there and meet new aliens and see who has the biggest, longest and shiniest one!  :woohoo:

/Locklyn

Hmmm ... if bigger and better weapons are bigger shiny sticks, then I have to ask. What would be a proper visual reference for more powerful (yet still only 10 tons a pop) Mass Destruction Devices? Bigger Mushroom Pizzas??? Following this I know I've located quite a varied collection of mushrooms with my explorations. And I have fleet of delivery trucks waiting to drop off large pizza orders. ....

nahhhh, can't go on, this is way to silly sounding. And I'm not quite this mindless ... yet.

Any suggestions on a better term?

There is no story hidden in the universe, no Imperial Colonies holding out against these new upstarts, no vast Tckon Fleet looking to reclaim the universe in a long lost forgotten empires name but there are a lot of fun players with big shiny sticks, so get out there and meet new aliens and see who has the biggest, longest and shiniest one!  :D

/Locklyn

Hmmm ... if bigger and better weapons are bigger shiny sticks, then I have to aks. What is a proper visual cue for more powerful (yet still on 10 tons a pop) Mass Destruction Devices? Big Mushroom farms?

Stones? They gotta drop sometime :woohoo:

:o

/Locklyn

Anyone else noticed that the conversations on this forum get more 'interesting' (as in slightly wierd) the closer to turn results we get, as in every other Friday? And that the traffic drops off dramatically (except for 'where is empire XYZ #1234 near Neverneverland') immediately after turn results are received?

Or is it just me?

Octus :woohoo:

Anyone else noticed that the conversations on this forum get more 'interesting' (as in slightly wierd) the closer to turn results we get, as in every other Friday? And that the traffic drops off dramatically (except for 'where is empire XYZ #1234 near Neverneverland') immediately after turn results are received?

Or is it just me?

Octus :D

Yup, I have noticed that too. Its just a way to fill free time. I also have noticed that the questions from the new folks increase starting about two days after the turns are received and run for about a week. :P

Or is it just me?

Octus :D

Yup, I have noticed that too. Its just a way to fill free time. I also have noticed that the questions from the new folks increase starting about two days after the turns are received and run for about a week. :P

And I read them carefully, because I learn something from every thread. Fortunately, my embarrassment for not having thought of what the newbies think up is limited to this forum....

Octus

• 2 years later...
In a future Incarnation of the game it would be nice if FC was based in part on the weapons chosen. I find it difficult to see how one can split a single Plasma Torp into the 20 globs of damage to target multiple targets. This would lend itself well to the theory of combined arms and multiple weapons systems being superior to a single system.

Just to refresh it in my anti-allergen drug addled brain - hayfever and high pollen counts don't mix - the number of damage "globs" is solely a function of the Fire Control rating of your Fleet, the formula does not take into consideration the number of "muzzles" available to launch the destructive firepower (regardless of form), right?

If you have a Fleet with a combined FC rating of 4 and a combined Firepower rating of 4,000,000,000; you would get four "blobs" of destruction worth 1,000,000,000 each. It wouldn't matter if your Fleet consisted of one ship armed with one (1) Mk IX Doomblaster, or if the Fleet consisted of 4,000,000 ships armed with 1,000 Type A Red Ryder BB Guns each; correct? :alien:

Thanks in Advance,

-SK :alien:

In a future Incarnation of the game it would be nice if FC was based in part on the weapons chosen. I find it difficult to see how one can split a single Plasma Torp into the 20 globs of damage to target multiple targets. This would lend itself well to the theory of combined arms and multiple weapons systems being superior to a single system.

Just to refresh it in my anti-allergen drug addled brain - hayfever and high pollen counts don't mix - the number of damage "globs" is solely a function of the Fire Control rating of your Fleet, the formula does not take into consideration the number of "muzzles" available to launch the destructive firepower (regardless of form), right?

If you have a Fleet with a combined FC rating of 4 and a combined Firepower rating of 4,000,000,000; you would get four "blobs" of destruction worth 1,000,000,000 each. It wouldn't matter if your Fleet consisted of one ship armed with one (1) Mk IX Doomblaster, or if the Fleet consisted of 4,000,000 ships armed with 1,000 Type A Red Ryder BB Guns each; correct? :alien:

Thanks in Advance,

Try noodling this one. Lets say you build a ship and include one and only one weapon on it. A Mk IX Long Range Torpedo that does say 18,000,000 damge. Now you include enough high end computers and get a FC rating of 200. So you get into a battle, and your one Mk IV Long Range Torpedo, when fired, breaks into 200 chunks or globs (of 90,000 damage each). OK .. who put the sieve on the front of the torpedo tube???

Of course all this is planned by Pete and some things, even if weird, are needed for the game balance and all the goodies he's designed to research. So changing it is never easy as one small change on "X" can throw off items and game processes A to G. Ahh .. the wonderful world of gaming.

Thanks in Advance,

Try noodling this one. Lets say you build a ship and include one and only one weapon on it. A Mk IX Long Range Torpedo that does say 18,000,000 damge. Now you include enough high end computers and get a FC rating of 200. So you get into a battle, and your one Mk IV Long Range Torpedo, when fired, breaks into 200 chunks or globs (of 90,000 damage each). OK .. who put the sieve on the front of the torpedo tube???

Of course all this is planned by Pete and some things, even if weird, are needed for the game balance and all the goodies he's designed to research. So changing it is never easy as one small change on "X" can throw off items and game processes A to G. Ahh .. the wonderful world of gaming.

Your battle computer is so awesome, it figures out the trick shot that lets the single torpedo hit 200 ships.

I'd always understood these were torpedo batteries. So a single weapon is actually a collection of some unspecified number of torpedo launchers, along with the magazines required to feed them. I never had a problem with the fire control oddities because of that. That thinking is harder to apply to the spinal mount weapons though. So it still comes down to a game expediency thing in the end.

On the other hand I could never understand how the magazines could hold an unlimited number of torpedoes. I guess we've all developed the Mk I Magazine of Infinite Holding before we reached space! Or maybe that would be a Mk II Magazine of Infinite Provision since we never actually have to build munitions! :alien: Thank you Pete for that huge favor! :alien:

I'd always understood these were torpedo batteries. So a single weapon is actually a collection of some unspecified number of torpedo launchers, along with the magazines required to feed them. I never had a problem with the fire control oddities because of that. That thinking is harder to apply to the spinal mount weapons though. So it still comes down to a game expediency thing in the end.

On the other hand I could never understand how the magazines could hold an unlimited number of torpedoes. I guess we've all developed the Mk I Magazine of Infinite Holding before we reached space! Or maybe that would be a Mk II Magazine of Infinite Provision since we never actually have to build munitions! :alien: Thank you Pete for that huge favor! :alien:

I think of it another way, each combat round consists of several salvoes of fire, which can then be targeted individually if you have enough fire control, e.g. a spinal cannon actually fires 20 packets of destruction each combat round, without fancy computers they all have to be aimed at 1 ship. Fancy computers allow you to spread these packets either by swerving you ship or using a barrel choke and the computers time the firing of the packet so that it is released whenever there is a target directly in front of it.