Rolling Thunder Forums

seeking advice on colonization

rotor911

Since nobody has actually answered the questions I will.  NO it is not worth building there.  Find a new place to build or be forever plagued by attrition.

If you are a great colonizer then I would try the domed cities and other cheap stuff just to see what happens, but the Temp will kill you every time.

:laugh:  :D  :D

Actually, if you are a cold race from a low G HW, have lots of colonization bonuses and you can build Domed Cities, asteroids are a great place to colonize because they are rich in iron and other resources and you can put down colonies with no attrition. If you meet the other requirements but don't have Domed Ciities, it is a worthwhile Installation to get as the research costs are low (Improved Steel, Improved CM and 2G Civil Eng).

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my case, Im unfortunately a cold race from a very HIGH G homeworld. I did notice before though that someone mentioned that Gravity doesnt have as much effect on attrition as Atmosphere or Temperature. That makes sense...an increase or decrease in weight might cause some long term health problems, but it wont immediately poison, freeze or incinerate your people. Further, LOW G should be less of a problem than HIGH G. Populations can live and work alot easier at 1/2, 1/3 of their normal weight,or even in 0G than they could at 2 or 3 times normal.

Hey, maybe some of those Imperial Sports Complexes would help on Low G worlds! Lift those weights and get that muscle tone back!

(And just picking peoples brains...if the Deep Core Heat Sink works better for cold races than the TTC...what are ITS prereqs?)

Hobknob and Lord Uriel,

I have colonised worlds like this, and with temperature offsets and domed cities I do not see any attrition and actually population growth. It is only worthwhile if the world is relatively close and you have a lot of CM's to spare.

Kind regards,

In my case, Im unfortunately a cold race from a very HIGH G homeworld. I did notice before though that someone mentioned that Gravity doesnt have as much effect on attrition as Atmosphere or Temperature. That makes sense...an increase or decrease in weight might cause some long term health problems, but it wont immediately poison, freeze or incinerate your people. Further, LOW G should be less of a problem than HIGH G. Populations can live and work alot easier at 1/2, 1/3 of their normal weight,or even in 0G than they could at 2 or 3 times normal.

Hey, maybe some of those Imperial Sports Complexes would help on Low G worlds! Lift those weights and get that muscle tone back!

(And just picking peoples brains...if the Deep Core Heat Sink works better for cold races than the TTC...what are ITS prereqs?)

I am not sure if Low G is less of a problem than High G but our Gravity tolerance is wide wnough to include the asteroid belts.

Further, LOW G should be less of a problem than HIGH G. Populations can live and work alot easier at 1/2, 1/3 of their normal weight,or even in 0G than they could at 2 or 3 times normal.

Nothing is quite what you think in the RTG Universe. Physics is one of them. :laugh:

If you recall the Disney movie, 'The Pirates of the Caribbean', the Pirates Code discussion can be likened to the physics of this game. To paraphrase the explanation of the Code, 'it's more like a set of guidelines'. :D

Octus

Further, LOW G should be less of a problem than HIGH G. Populations can live and work alot easier at 1/2, 1/3 of their normal weight,or even in 0G than they could at 2 or 3 times normal.

Nothing is quite what you think in the RTG Universe. Physics is one of them. :ninja:

If you recall the Disney movie, 'The Pirates of the Caribbean', the Pirates Code discussion can be likened to the physics of this game. To paraphrase the explanation of the Code, 'it's more like a set of guidelines'. :nuke:

Octus

A very rough set of guidelines. My HW is colder on average than the freezing point of our atmosphere. In fact so much colder that seeing our atmosphere in a gaseous state would be a shock to us. In fact if the laws of physics were to truly apply, we would have started with Superconductor and Advanced Superconductor horizon techs. We didnt and it taook as long to research them as other warmer races. Our main advantage is we find Asteroids to be a pretty hospitable place to raise a family, as long as we have a Domed City. :woohoo:

Since nobody has actually answered the questions I will.  NO it is not worth building there.  Find a new place to build or be forever plagued by attrition.

If you are a great colonizer then I would try the domed cities and other cheap stuff just to see what happens, but the Temp will kill you every time.

:ninja:  :nuke:  :woohoo:

I'm not so sure about that. As others said, depends on the yield. If it has 600+ Iron I would say it is in fact worth pursuing.

That CSV has big - hits for Atmosphere and Temp, but also has a pretty darn big + for lifeform. I would drop a beacon and start shipping mats there while finishing up Domed Cities, then start the colony in earnest. I bet the temperature won't be a problem at all once you mitigate atmosphere and get some general colonization bonuses from other structures.

:nuke:

B) 2nd Gen Planet Eng, 2nd Generation Terraforming

Deep Core Heat sinks (often referred to as "Ducks" by affectionate technicians) absorb heat and distribute the excess energy throughout a series of wells drilled deep into the planetary crust. Massive refrigeration units cool and prepare the heat for eventual dissipation. The presence of a Duck increases the Temperature Class Comfort Zone to 50 degrees on worlds that are hotter than your homeworld. Deep Core Heat sinks consume massive amounts of Power, eating up a whopping 25,000 per turn. 250,000 Improved Construction Materials :woohoo:

That pretty much covers the Duck's and it never said aflac either :ninja:

The presence of a Duck increases the Temperature Class Comfort Zone to 50 degrees on worlds that are hotter than your homeworld. Deep Core Heat sinks consume massive amounts of Power, eating up a whopping 25,000 per turn. 250,000 Improved Construction Materials

Ouch...that seems horribly expensive for something that only increases the Confort Zone by 20 degrees (since the base is allready 30 degrees). I suppose it might be useful on a handful of marginal worlds, but doesnt really provide the added range I need -my HW is COLD. I mean COLD to the point that Deep Space would fall into the lower end of their temperature comfort range.

There was an amendment to this; the ducks now do 100 degrees.

This is correct it was part of the textile, microbe attrition modernization act of OH SIX. :woohoo:

Did not intend to mislead, Peter's Pronouncements do not up date my ANZ files. I put 3 fission plants on my colony to cover the Duck, but it shows 28,499 excess power. Any idea why? :ninja:

The presence of a Duck increases the Temperature Class Comfort Zone to 50 degrees on worlds that are hotter than your homeworld. Deep Core Heat sinks consume massive amounts of Power, eating up a whopping 25,000 per turn. 250,000 Improved Construction Materials

Ouch...that seems horribly expensive for something that only increases the Confort Zone by 20 degrees (since the base is allready 30 degrees). I suppose it might be useful on a handful of marginal worlds, but doesnt really provide the added range I need -my HW is COLD. I mean COLD to the point that Deep Space would fall into the lower end of their temperature comfort range.

So Pete did you a big goody, you should be able to sweat near the 130 degree mark (especially if you have wooly long johns on).

PS. Probably itch too!

Guy with wooly long johns ---> :nuke:

Guy watching him itch/sweat ---> :ninja:

Guy just looking------------------> :woohoo:

Following HOB GOBlin reasoning, if one degree is in your lowest range, your temp is probably more like 60 degrees (what our people call tropical). Ducks should keep you comfy on a 160 degree world. Few astroids miss that range.

The Opinions expressed by HOB GOBlin are not attributable to Hob Nob or any other being ever known to exist. :ninja:

Following HOB GOBlin reasoning, if one degree is in your lowest range, your temp is probably more like 60 degrees (what our people call tropical). Ducks should keep you comfy on a 160 degree world. Few astroids miss that range.

The Opinions expressed by HOB GOBlin are not attributable to Hob Nob or any other being ever known to exist. :ninja:

For us, tropical means our atmosphere is starting to sublimate. :woohoo: