Rolling Thunder Forums

A little Help

Chargerman

You can still use adobe reader 6.01, and read the new style turns sheets, IF you do this the galaxy, ship design and codes sheets will still work mostly. IF you use 7.0 you are in trouble as saving the file to text results in major differences in the formatting of the text file.

Aliens sightings are slightly messed up.

What ever happened to Phase Dragon?  When did he quit and why?  If it had anything to do with combat, perhaps the recent changes would bring him back to us, as they seem to be pretty substantial changes which are much welcomed.  Besides, it seems like some things have changed in the conversion from .pdf to .txt files and it would be real cool if he would upgrade the files...hehehe.

Steve

He dropped a long time ago, and I don't believe it had a whole lot to do with the combat system as I recall.

I've never been able to import txt files no matter what verion of adobe I use. For those of you know something about this, I take it you could convert your pdf. file to a text file, then import your txt file to excel .... and somehow .... everything in your turn goes to wherver you want it go in your spreadsheet? Does someone know how to do this?

What ever happened to Phase Dragon?  When did he quit and why?  If it had anything to do with combat, perhaps the recent changes would bring him back to us, as they seem to be pretty substantial changes which are much welcomed.  Besides, it seems like some things have changed in the conversion from .pdf to .txt files and it would be real cool if he would upgrade the files...hehehe.

Steve

He dropped a long time ago, and I don't believe it had a whole lot to do with the combat system as I recall.

I've never been able to import txt files no matter what verion of adobe I use. For those of you know something about this, I take it you could convert your pdf. file to a text file, then import your txt file to excel .... and somehow .... everything in your turn goes to wherver you want it go in your spreadsheet? Does someone know how to do this?

In version 6 and 7 of Adobe, you use the command save as text. This is under the File menu. To use with Phase Dragon's program, you save the text files in a folder labeled Text Files in the same folder you save the Galaxy workbook. You have to save the file with the format YYYY-XX where YYYY is your empire number and XX is your turn number. Turn numbers start with 1 as yoru first turn and go up. Once you set up your spreadsheet and have listed all of the file numbers, you click on Load Text files and the system runs.

Some caveats.

1. This only works with Version 6 of Acrobat.

2. Galaxy chokes on any Player run empire contacts but if you go into the text file and delete the line that says [stellar cartography reports ....., the program runs fine.

3. I have only been able to get a couple of the programs to work so this is really only useful for them.

Hope this is helpful.