Rolling Thunder Forums

Scientists

Virmilyn

• 4 weeks later...
Locklyn,

2) Another post further on:

"The further away from your HW system also helps. I have 20 systems in which I have built science colonies with scientists situated on odd worlds. Then it helps if you have more than the basic installations available , really odd worlds (like frozen ones that are in close orbit of a yellow sun) are rumored to be able to give extraordinary hits as well as be good for EXPL in that you'd find special special stuff"

A- Regarding "further away", since we have no idea physically where each system is in relation to another, I think you mean how many jumps from the HW, is that true? Is there a minimum range (say like 3 or 4 jumps away) that you would never waste time on putting up science colonies?

B- Also, you say "scientists situated on odd worlds", then gave the example of frozen ones in close orbit of a yellow sun. I reviewed my scanning data, paying special attention to orbit 1. I found Terrestrial, Hot Terrestrial, Asteroid Fields and an occasional Gas Giant in the first orbit but nothing with anything cold or icy. Am I just unlucky? Do I need to get more data to find these type of odd worlds? Can you give any other examples of "odd worlds"? What about worlds in orbit around a Black Hole, White Hole or Neutron Star... might those be good places to look?

I'm a cold worlder, and placing a Scientist on a molten rockball, with a single science station and a linear accelerator, with the system about 4-5 jumps away, has been giving me a minor breakthrough on random techs I've been researching since I put them there. Now I've said that it'll stop, but I may look into plopping some suicidal scientists onto Gas Giants.

• 1 year later...

*BUMP*

Bumping this thread up since the discussion on Buying Technology will find some relevant points re EXPL and Scientists here...and no I've yet to find any of the WONDER exploration hits nor any of my allies so I'm thinking it may be either very small percentage (and I have top of the line EXPL equipment and modifiers) or it's handmoderated ie when Pete finds a breather to make it more fun, like some battle reports

:cheers:

/Locklyn