Rolling Thunder Forums

Oh those Magnificent Spinals

Prospective

I have been looking at a few of Cao Cao's posts and I am noticed a few oddites with them.

Spinal Assult Gunboat - the standard Gunboat is impressive and weighs 500 tons. This new description has it at 10000 tons and magnificent. How affective is launching a single fighter no matter how powerful it might be?

No other tech in the game has made classification jumps unless it is a new tech brach. Why would fighters suddenly switch from missile dmg to coherent beam damage? Has anyone seen this in a expl hit? Almost every tech in the game has been in an expl hit at some point or another. Even the Holographic cybernetic battle director popped up so why no this one?

Advanced Suvey Craft: Reguires 7th gen Space sci? As far as I know 6th gen is the cap as it is for the majority of the horizon techs. Again never seen this one in any expl hits.

I am not even sure that that Type A Spinal Antimatter Cannon is real for the very same reasons.

But I could certainly be wrong

Lord SaHeru

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been looking at a few of Cao Cao's posts and I am noticed a few oddites with them.

Spinal Assult Gunboat - the standard Gunboat is impressive and weighs 500 tons. This new description has it at 10000 tons and magnificent. How affective is launching a single fighter no matter how powerful it might be?

No other tech in the game has made classification jumps unless it is a new tech brach. Why would fighters suddenly switch from missile dmg to coherent beam damage? Has anyone seen this in a expl hit? Almost every tech in the game has been in an expl hit at some point or another. Even the Holographic cybernetic battle director popped up so why no this one?

Advanced Suvey Craft: Reguires 7th gen Space sci? As far as I know 6th gen is the cap as it is for the majority of the horizon techs. Again never seen this one in any expl hits.

I am not even sure that that Type A Spinal Antimatter Cannon is real for the very same reasons.

Lord SaHeru

I take Cao Cao's tech notes with a grain of salt, as well. For many of the reasons you state.

On the specific point of fighters doing coherent beam damage, though, there is a precident. Assault Gunboats do both missile and coherent beam damage:

Coherent Beam Strength: Impressive [12000]

Missile Strength: Impressive [36000]

TErnest

Lord SaHeru

I take Cao Cao's tech notes with a grain of salt, as well. For many of the reasons you state.

On the specific point of fighters doing coherent beam damage, though, there is a precident. Assault Gunboats do both missile and coherent beam damage:

Coherent Beam Strength: Impressive [12000]

Missile Strength: Impressive [36000]

TErnest

While Cao Cao may be a nice guy (Is he? I never met him) but I too am puzzled by his response. Why Pete would apply the term "Spinal" to a gunboat is beyond me. Also, a 10,000t fighter seems excessive, that is practically the size of a Pathfinder.

I had heard the same thing regarding horizon techs, in that they generally stop at 6th Generation so I also wondered about the Advanced Survey Lander.

I find it easier to categorize weapons by damage vector. I believe there are 15 of them. It doesn't matter what the weapon is called, only what sort of damage it does.

As for Future tech, I have a list of several 100 items that I have yet to discover and many of them I have no idea what they are or how to get there. More turn up all the time as my explorers scour planets for finds. If you want to know what to expect you should start doing planet explorations.

:D:P

Well, actually fighers, drones and missiles all do "missile" damage. Even though they are 3 distinct lines, I sort of lump them all together because of this commonality.

Pete, any comments regarding "Spinal" class weapons? Does each distinct technology type have the potential to develop a "spinal" class weapon system (or at least have a possibility of being rated in the MAGNIFICENT strenth category), assuming the correct pre-req's are researched? Or will some be capped before becoming a "MAGNIFICENT" Spinal?

Why not give this question to Lord SaHeru and have him ask Pete? He can then put it into the SNROTE Reader.

Ali-t,

I figgure that by posting it here, it gives Pete a chance to answer before the Reader comes out. The Reader is not entirely regular (due to lack of submissions and or time constraints I'd guess) and I'd prefer to get an answer earlier than later.

Besides, I figgure that Lord SaHeru can read my post and add it to the Reader if he chooses to, especially if Pete doesn't get around to answering here.

I for one would be pretty disappointed if Pete commented on the existance of "spinal weapons for each weapon vector".

While I may think I know for certain that a certian tech path dead ends at level 6, having spent the time and research to get there, I certainly don't want that information handed out for free to the masses.

I have nothing against anybody with less time in the game or fewer resources, but research and the unknown is one of the biggest draws of this game. I thirst and yearn to find the previously unfound. Being told at this time is like reading the end of the mystery first.

:cheers::D

and here's another for good turns

:cheers::beer:

One the areas that Pete has been very stingy about given information about is the Tech Tree. The best answer you'll get regarding Spinal Weapons being on all 15 Vector-types (to use Hobknob's phrasing) from Pete would be "Maybe" followed by "No one will be able to research the whole tree". :D

Besides, a Spinal "Fighter" or Spinal "Mine Rack" just seems silly to me. :beer:

-SK :cheers:

The best answer you'll get regarding Spinal Weapons being on all 15 Vector-types (to use Hobknob's phrasing) from Pete would be "Maybe" followed by "No one will be able to research the whole tree". :D

-SK :beer:

Given that the tech tree is finite in size, you can see that given enough time, the whole tree could be researched. The question is, what would that time frame be? My guess is a minimum of 10 years would be required even for the most research bonus blessed races.

What is frustrating is many weapon lines end at some type of Superior or Impressive weapon, and only if you have the right combination of other items will further weapons or branches open up. Plus the lines to follow just aren't obvious. For example, Hydrolithium Bombs (MDD) open up once you complete Nuclear Bomb + Light Hellfire Cannon. The X-Ray Laser Mine Rack opens up based on completing the Mauler Mine Rack + Light X-Ray Laser. Lots of combinations like that. Which shows simply exploring one weapons branch is not enough. You will need others.

I totally agree with WKE's statement:

"What is frustrating is many weapon lines end at some type of Superior or Impressive weapon, and only if you have the right combination of other items will further weapons or branches open up."

A good example of this is the recently published Type A Spinal Antimatter Cannons:

Classification: Weapon Range: Beam Structural Integrity: 90000

Prerequisite Technologies: Siege Antimatter Blaster, Siege Phase Shaker, Advanced Superconductor

Particle Beam Strength: Magnificent [23040000]

Now, I can understand the Siege Antimatter Blaster and the Advanced Superconductor as being pre-req's but why would something from the "Gravitonic" line have any influence on Antimatter Blasters??? Why not something from the "Projectile" line? Why not something from the "Plasma" line? There is no reason to it. In my opinion, the only way to discover this is through blind experimentation. This would not be a big deal until one considers that there are 14 other "damage vectors" to experiment with and only 26 turns per year. Even if one was to devote all 25 RC into any one line, at about 5 research pts per turn (for the average, unmodified race) you would be lucky to "complete" one line of weapons research per year.

Which brings me back to my original point. At least, if it were known that each of the 15 "damage vector" weapons CAN evolve into a "Magnificent" rated weapon (regardless of how meaningless the combination is), there would be some consolation that the research already completed would not have been in vain.

The problem with using expl to discover magnificent equipment is the 25000 ton limit on expl finds. This would tend to limit any finds to those very small items such as Cao Cao's gunboat, the other two magnificent items so far revealed are both well over this limit. :beer:

Of course there are other ways of finding advanced items. :cheers:

Sir Smeg :D