Rolling Thunder Forums

The Flock

Desmodus

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Print out is not exactly reliable as a indicator of much, especially fleet sightings. I made a theory based on sending in fleeets and trying to do one order, and more than one order. Never did a second order work. About half the time one order worked. I am a programmer, I understand the logic of order of events. so I came up with my theory and tested it and it worked like I guessed, but now Pete says it is a bug and somehow it is my fault, so he is taking the HW from me

One last point, I am not sure how the GM can be so sure how sightings work, when fleets sail right by each other and there is not a battle, In his explanaation he says. No matter which fleet sights the other there will be a battle at the end of that pulse. Yet, at my other Empires home system a fleet for another player flew right by My Xray setting fleets 3 times in one turn Including stopping at the HW, and still no battle even though the fleet was sighted each time and actually set at the Hw for 20 pulses.

yet I am the bad guy finding all these GM "bugs": in an attempt to figure out the game system. Just wait a few turns and they will be FEATURES. Like how Wormholes work .

One last point, I am not sure how the GM can be so sure how sightings work, when fleets sail right by each other and there is not a battle, In his explanaation he says. No matter which fleet sights the other there will be a battle at the end of that pulse. Yet, at my other Empires home system a fleet for another player flew right by My Xray setting fleets 3 times in one turn Including stopping at the HW, and still no battle even though the fleet was sighted each time and actually set at the Hw for 20 pulses.

yet I am the bad guy finding all these GM "bugs": in an attempt to figure out the game system. Just wait a few turns and they will be FEATURES. Like how Wormholes work .

I had this problem with scouts passing your fleets on X-Ray as well. Costed me two HWs becasue I still trusted that other player :(

I reported it to Pete as well, but never got a response :(

But as a programmer, you know how bugs creep in. That is why you sure as hell exploited it!

I had this problem with scouts passing your fleets on X-Ray as well. Costed me two HWs becasue I still trusted that other player :(

I reported it to Pete as well, but never got a response :(

But as a programmer, you know how bugs creep in. That is why you sure as hell exploited it!

I notice Pete not saying anything about the failed sightings Must be a new feature of the game. After all they been failing since forever.

The sightings isn't the issue, it's the triggering of the battle that doesn't always happen as it should based on the ROEs involved.

Well, the warp in via a Wormhole Generator does not trigger a fleet sighting. I think this is a big as well. But it can be circumvented by protecting/hiding your wormhole generators and secondly not placing

them on improtant worlds. A XSENS will take on the staying fleets.

The sightings isn't the issue, it's the triggering of the battle that doesn't always happen as it should based on the ROEs involved.

Right, and Pete is telling me that the battle occured on pulse 10 and it had to occur becasue there was a sighting, and yet a player flies past 2 of my blockade fleets to my HW, and sits there for 20 pulses. Sighted at all locations and not battle. yet in this instance he is sure enough of what happened to reverse a HW capture, without even contacting me to hear my side before making the decision.

Well, the warp in via a Wormhole Generator does not trigger a fleet sighting. I think this is a big as well. But it can be circumvented by protecting/hiding your wormhole generators and secondly not placing

yes, but that does not help the poor guy that finds out about the wormhole first. He lost his HW, and it was a bug and he did not get it back.

Pete just said, that a battle Always occurs if either side has a sighting even if the only side sighting has a Q setting, as long as the other side has an higher ROE.

But that does not happen with Wormholes, and it did not happen at your HW, As far as defending wormholes, that does not help the poor guy that finds out about the wormhole first. He lost his HW, and it was a bug and he did not get it back. How many instances of something NOT happening does he need to give me that HW back????

If there is no sighting then no battle will occur.

What happened regarding the world in question here had absolutely nothing to do with fleet sightings, and everything to do with a fleet that attacked the defenses of a world, was completely destroyed by the defenders that fired back, and then managed to offload cargo.

I am very busy right now trying to get the current turn cycle out before Friday, and have watched quite a few fleets be atomized by enemy forces with their cargo and commanders vaporized along with them. The new code I just put in to triple check cargo loss is working like a charm.

If there is no sighting then no battle will occur.

What happened regarding the world in question here had absolutely nothing to do with fleet sightings, and everything to do with a fleet that attacked the defenses of a world, was completely destroyed by the defenders that fired back, and then managed to offload cargo.

I am very busy right now trying to get the current turn cycle out before Friday, and have watched quite a few fleets be atomized by enemy forces with their cargo and commanders vaporized along with them. The new code I just put in to triple check cargo loss is working like a charm.

btw thank you for all the work you do pete. i know it is alot of time to try to work out all the little bugs in a program.

I did not EXPOIT a bug, I tested the game system and here is how it works. thru many tests at that HW and at other HW's with other empires. SInce RTG is famous for NOT telling you exactly how things work and wanting you to test and figure them out yourself, that is what I did. My testing led me to believe the following.

Say on pulse 10 I move to your HW. IF you run first, you will not get a fleet sighting of me and there for your encounter of x will not cause a battle. Later that pulse I move in and sight your fleet. no Baltle orrurs because I have encounter of Q

This means that since the battle occurs at the end to the pulse that the next pulse I get to do one order before my fleet is gone.

I have done at your HW, lots of probes and lots of different orders, and they succeed about half the time. That is how I got the POP GROUP there, that is how I orbed the world. After learnign how the system worked I figured out how to take the HW from you based on my tests and DID< IE my plan worked.

Enter Pete says this is not how it works and is going to give you back the HW, this is BS. I did nothing wrong, if my conclusions were wrong because the game system is broke how am I supposed to know that??????? This is the GM's fault, and he should let the HW stay with me.

In other situations like this he did not reverse what happened, and example is wormholes, When an ally of mine has his HW lost because warping in thru a WORM does not give the defender a Sighting, PETE did not give my ally back his HW. even though he said later that he could not fix the problems and that is how it works.

SO why now do you get that HW back when I obviously know more how the game system actually works than the GM?

i do believe that this is a situation that is all Petes fault... he knew about this bug as well as other bugs that he just doesnt fix. and when they get used (as ppl tend to do) they cause problems among the player base.. which is not any fun for any of us..... so i call on pete to put some time in closing up these or to let them be as they are and us as the players know that this is possible and to place orders accordingly.. such as if you have a battle at your home world do an orb the next turn cycle to see if they were able to send anything down... cause if you think about it in the spirit of the game its not improbable to think that during the battle the captain of the ship shoots a pod out with a few colonist and some suppies to try to put together a colony.......