Rolling Thunder Forums

Greetings Kom-Ka Federation (2165) 'Sun Touching Three Worlds With

Flagritz

As someone who lives as the same quadrant as the Kom-ka, I am wondering how far Cestevl is planning to take this war. Will he stop with the Kom-ka homeworld, with Flagritz's main empire or when every system in the galaxy has been submitted to his will?

Wait, scratch that last one. That's everyone's ultimate plan :-)

Ask your ally. I told him in detail what happens next. But it will depend all on his actions.

But first things first. Next turn I will try to capture that HW. When done, I will give it back to the KomKa

after some improvements are set in place.

Marcus

who me.... Ive never seen lord deependra before, Hey are you near the Kom Ka.... :thumbsup:

wow...... this is really hard..... I want to reveal your evil plan to take over galaxy but dont want to drag every player in the sector down with me if I do....

What to do..... what to do......

Okay hmm..... I can do this..... focus..... okay here goes "Cesvel is a good and brave opponent, with noble intents and Im sure once he takes over this world he will give it away and then leave the galaxy in peace, so nothing to worry about, all is going to be fine"

Happy? is that enough to limit your rampage to just me? :}

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You left out the bit about me taking away only one of your three HWs :thumbsup:

But I expected that much of you.

But that is future talk, because I first have to take the HWs. For now I have merely the skies over one captured HW of yours.

Being one of the neighbours of Flagritz and the old Kom Ka, I'm kind of concerned that not only do we have a core player who is 3 years further into the game than the locals moving in, with the attendant 3 years of research and production capabilities , but he is going to be allied to someone who presumably will be able to trade for that same advanced tech, utterly unbalancing the region. Tech levels are the responsibility of the players - they choose which way they are going to advance their position, sometimes through luck, and sometimes through careful planning. If they choose wrong then that's down to their choices, not the people they come up against - but the other vitally important factor is time in the game.

Level playing field means same opportunities, not matching technology - the number of research paths makes the latter an impossibility. The rest of it is down to luck and planning. That the Kom Ka lost was down to bad luck, and the research choices they made in the game against someone responding aggressively, for whatever, to an immediate neighbour with similar time in-game. If Flagritz loses, it'll be because someone 3 years further into the game decided to flatten someone just because he could, for whatever reason he chooses to use.

I am given to understand that Cestvel has no intention of being an aggressor in the region, just a defensive ally of the Kom Ka? That's all well and good and sounds perfectly reasonable (ignoring the fact that this effectively gives the Kom Ka a skirt to hide behind if any of his forays into local space come unstuck). What does happens if the Kom Ka want's something that we others have? It's a wargame - you know, where such 'discussions' are made with military punctuation!

It doesn't sound so reasonable now, does it?

It is a game.....all possibilities are open . Would it be any different if it were real life , and earth were suddenly invaded by aliens from outer space? It would probably not be fair , but that is the way things are .

What do YOU know about the aliens? :)

:cheers:

/Locklyn

I am given to understand that Cestvel has no intention of being an aggressor in the region, just a defensive ally of the Kom Ka? That's all well and good and sounds perfectly reasonable (ignoring the fact that this effectively gives the Kom Ka a skirt to hide behind if any of his forays into local space come unstuck). What does happens if the Kom Ka want's something that we others have? It's a wargame - you know, where such 'discussions' are made with military punctuation!

Well considering I already have scouts in what is considered younger areas this is a possibility...Everything around the GGT core is either an ally, conquered or empty burned out systems so we older races need our breathing space and considering that the one single most valuable resource in the game is population, yes we will be coming...I am sorry but thems the way the game is played and as for me, I have 40-70 of billions of surplus of every resource and constantly mine more than I can convert thus I need more pop and with the pop cap growth per planet this means more worlds, more HWs and more population to recruit as workers for the once pacifistic GGT.

Now Rim system conquering is a lot of work, especially with the recent Gate changes so it will not be so common yet, but there are techs that make the travel out there a LOT easier so please quaver quiver or vibrate in footwear appropriate to your species :)

I really really really need a good war to spice things up, any takers?

:cheers:

/Locklyn

I know its a game, but what I am talking about is the rationale being used to intrude on a region and utterly change its make-up for non-reasons.

If the Kom Ka move into my space I am going to object to it, and I will not stop at the borders. Does that mean that Cestval will move against me for taking the fight back to his protégé? If he is moving in to play dominant in a weaker region then he should be saying so instead of propping up someone who failed against an equal player. Like everyone else, I've put a lot of time and money into the game and would prefer not to see that flushed down the toilet without reason. I expect to be responsible for my own successes and failures both when up against players with the same time in-game. The trouble is that it is no longer a game when the big guys decide to move in and push the little guys aside just because they can.

Is that what Cestval's doing? I don't know - I don't know the guy so I can't say whether he is that kind of player. But that is the end effect of his actions here. There's a difference between hitting neighbours who are a year behind and can give some opposition (unless numbers on the bottom line is all you're playing for), and jumping three years down the line just so there will be no reasonable opposition?

I thought wargaming was about matching wits and fortune, not squashing opponents that haven't a hope in hell of providing competition.

Extrapolate.

Being one of the neighbours of Flagritz and the old Kom Ka, I'm kind of concerned that not only do we have a core player who is 3 years further into the game than the locals moving in, with the attendant 3 years of research and production capabilities , but he is going to be allied to someone who presumably will be able to trade for that same advanced tech, utterly unbalancing the region. Tech levels are the responsibility of the players - they choose which way they are going to advance their position, sometimes through luck, and sometimes through careful planning. If they choose wrong then that's down to their choices, not the people they come up against - but the other vitally important factor is time in the game.

Level playing field means same opportunities, not matching technology - the number of research paths makes the latter an impossibility. The rest of it is down to luck and planning. That the Kom Ka lost was down to bad luck, and the research choices they made in the game against someone responding aggressively, for whatever, to an immediate neighbour with similar time in-game. If Flagritz loses, it'll be because someone 3 years further into the game decided to flatten someone just because he could, for whatever reason he chooses to use.

First of, the empire in question is *not* a core empire and it is even more advanced than my core position.

Second, the position is two years older, not three.

Third I know an empire in the region that has access to most of the same tech than my empire and was started about the same time as the KomKa and the Flagritz empires, I admit my tech is broader but the empire I know off has about the same depth.

So all of the above is of no consequence.

I will allow the KomKa to trade for some tech, but as the Gates are down for now, he will have to supply the components.

I will not stand idly by when he gets attacked without him starting the fight, but otherwise I will keep a neutral stance. If not, I would have to go heads on with all the LNAW in the region. A fight I am not intending to take when not forced upon me.

Btw another empire of mine, which is a year younger has the same tech depth as my Worldlab Meyne and has come across another member of LNAW, which are founded at the same time iirc.

So if you have not that techlevel, that it is not my fault, but your choice on race design, SRP, luck or decisions you took for your empire.

And the ship is not named "Vigilante" without afterthought ...

Well , I have the same situation with the first position I started in January 2008 . About a year into the game , I had my first alien sighting....it was from a position that is about 2 years older than your Gehenna? position ( if your position is in the Komka/ Flagritz area , then your position has an age similar to the Ori position , and then we also happen to be distant neighbors ) . The player had a ship of his go into a one way , and he was searching for a way to get back . We communicated , he says he has no designs on my position , he did not need another HW to write orders for . I really was on the verge of quitting , because how would that position defend itself against a position that was started in 2005? It is not fair to that position , I have run two turnsheets on that position pretty much since I started , also a good investment . No idea if that player will hold to what he said , I simply have to believe him , and I will . This position still has not had any other alien fleet sightings , and it is moving in some cases out 8-9 jumps from the HW ( maybe everyone else dropped or my neighbors are hiding by not exploring ? ) . Marcus has always been good to his word , as long as the other player that he gave his word to also holds to his word . Ultimately , that will be up to him to decide what he will do ....only time will tell .

If he is moving in to play dominant in a weaker region then he should be saying so instead of propping up someone who failed against an equal player.

Well, if you would read back a little, you would have recognized, that I came in because the KomKa were

not opposed by one equal empire, but was squashed by three played by one player.

And that he taunted and boasted after that didn't help it either.

The KomKa had no chance at all, because his player was *not* connected to any alliance. And was up against three technological more advanced empires.

I understand where you coming from and I think for a Younger Race to defend itself against an Elder Race Empire it mostly boils down to logistics.

1) The Sensor Fleet Perimeter is God. Since Cloaking never worked and 800 tons of fuel tankage merged with a jump drive and engine Sight fleets as well as a Sensor equipped one, get cheap ships on every WP, Every Gas Giant at least 7-12 systems out from your HW. An big invasion fleets primary problem is logistics with fuel being number one, surveyed WPs being number two.

2) Never ever let anyone survey WPs or SS systems within a three- four radius from your HW unless you know this person well enough or able to exert physical violence on him.

3) As soon as an Elder Race appears in your vicinity, start talking with every other Empire that you have met locally and band up if it is a conquering sort of Empire. The old "Why do you think he'll stop with my empire" bit usually works fine here.

4) If the Elder seems hellbent on taking you out, question it why, offer it nicer targets, offer it knowledge of the local sphere ie try diplomacy to save your ass. Also check if the Elder has any enemies of it own among other Elder Races, if so, kiss up to them, give intel on the ships crushing your fleets like so many pinatas and maybe this Empire will help you or at least take the moment to attack its old enemy.

5) The sad truth is though that a well researched elder probably can field enough firepower in one invasion fleet to match a Young Race entire navy BUT and this is important, too many ignore that you still have to be able to take out a world via invasion. If you trust your local allies, then perhaps a garrison of the heftiest toughest and meanest groundpounders you have locally can hold the HW from an elder race, especially since troops are a bitch to carry long distances.

6) Use allies to attack supply trains coming up from behind the invasion force on your HW.

7) Always research one weapon line you do not have on your front line ships, save it for The Line fleets around your HW or when you need to go on the counter-offensive...

8) if all else fails, fall to your knees begging for mercy and offer to pay tribute, this has worked in two cases with me.

Ach you probably knew all this and for those that didn't my allies will smack me over the head for telling it, but I like a good fight, besides it is supposed to be fun :)

Good luck

Cheers

/Locklyn

Many also make the mistake of thinking all Core Elder Empires are so much more powerful than younger positions. You must remember we stumbled around when tech systems where given ratings like "Poor" "Fair" and the famous "Would Not be Caught in a Shitstorm with this crap". We had no ideas of ICE, of Transwarp Drives or the paths to industrial science and many many more such fundamentally necessary technologies that many younger races take for given. We had no clue whatsoever on how combat worked, for all we know Pete went "Rock Scissor Paper" everytime we went into combat :)

So we lost a lot of momentum especially in research, many of us have enormous industrial bases based on conquests and heavy use of ICE but still, the primary number one strength that many core races have over younger races are alliance. Especially up untill recently when there was the possibility of transferring tech and resources to and fro. Now that playing field os way more level but still the single most damaging thing a young race can do when facing an Elder is trying to go it alone.

I don't know if any of this helps, if I make any sense at all. What I do know of C'estvel is that he is one of the most skilled players I've encountered, he's a terrific person but this is a wargame also and if you land on the wrong side of him, you are likely to be squished unless you form ranks.

Cheers

/Locklyn