Rolling Thunder Forums

New Player would like to check a couple of things...

Mentara

I have passed my orders down the chain and with the blessings of my priest i am confident (?) it will go well. Thanks for any and all help - i have little doubt i'll be back after everything goes wrong in my first turn!

Even if something goes wrong, there are enough turns before you to do it right :thumbsup:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 Gas Giant 2.6 --- ---

5a Moon 12643 Vacuum

5b Moon 6768 Vacuum

5c Moon 2783 Vacuum

O is the planet, whatever its type. The moons are a b c, as shown by the SS order. And this for all planets (or asteroids) in the system. It's your ship position that determines which body will be investigated.

so just to be sure:

Planet

Gas Giant

Asteroid

Asteroid

would be

a

b

c

?

Cheers

No!

an System scan on sytem HW gives you:

1 Frozen Rockball

1a Moon

1b Moon

2 Asteroid Belt

3 Gas Giant

3a Moon

You do:

NM 100, HW, 1 (move fleet 100 to orbit 1)

GEO 100, 0 (as you want the main orbit)

GEO 100, a (the moon of planet 1)

GEO 100, b (the moon of planet 2)

NM 100, HW, 2 (move fleet 100 to orbit 2)

GEO 100, 0 (the main orbit of orbit 2)

NM 100, HW, 3a (move directly to orbit 3a as you are not interested in a CSV of teh Gas Giant)

GEO 100, 0 (while orbiting its moon, you do a GEO of the main orbit, the Gas Giant)

GEO 100, a (now a geological survey of the moon)

CSV 100, 0 (do a colonization survey of the current orbiting object (3a, the moon), the 0 here is the popgroup, where you have none atm, hence 0

so just to be sure:

Planet

Gas Giant

Asteroid

Asteroid

would be

a

b

c

?

Cheers

Planets (Terrestrial, Frozen Rockball, Hot Terrestial, etc.), Gas Giants, Asteroid Belts appear in orbits. Gas Giants and Planets can have moons in orbit around the main body. Those sub-orbits are referred to by letter. The main body's orbit is 0. This is only used when writing GEO, ORB and PMAP orders.

PS If you have not already done so, I would suggest when you write your first set of orders for your turn that you open a browser window and download the Rules Supplement. Review each of your orders against that document. Also, there is an addendum on the Rules and Mechanics Forum where additional orders such as FOB are located so if you don't find the order you want to use, check there too. :thumbsup:

Greetings and welcome to the Universe, cub.

In the case of GEO orders, Entering the command "0" will have the ship scan whatever planet it happens to be orbiting at the time. If your ship is orbiting planet 99 in your system and you want to scan it, the order would be "0".

The moons orbiting a world will be designated a, b, c and so on. The 2nd moon of the 2nd planet would be 2b. But if you had a ship at planet two and wanted to do a GEO of the second moon, the order would be "b".

If you are orbiting the 99th planet and wanted to do a GEO of the second moon, the order would be "b"

And so on.

Once again, welcome!

Well crap. I didnt know you could do Geos and all that from one orbital position. Thought you had to move from the planet to the moon, to the next moon as you went to do them.

Taking that into account if you have a ship in orbital position 2 can it transfer items from a pop group on planet 2 to a pop group on moon 2a without having to do a NM order to move from planet 2 to moon 2a?

Well crap. I didnt know you could do Geos and all that from one orbital position. Thought you had to move from the planet to the moon, to the next moon as you went to do them.

Taking that into account if you have a ship in orbital position 2 can it transfer items from a pop group on planet 2 to a pop group on moon 2a without having to do a NM order to move from planet 2 to moon 2a?

You should be able to, but you can't. At least it failed the one time I tried.

:thumbsup:

PMAPs and ORBs should also work the same way as GEO.

PMAPs and ORBs should also work the same way as GEO.

PMAPS, ORBS, GEOS => You can do from any planet / moon for that orbit (checking out 0, a, b, c, and d spots).

CSV, LC, OC, EAF, Warp (once you can build Wormhole Generators) and other such => You have to be over the planet or moon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

well it went slightly better than i had thought but i've got a question on two areas :-)

- is there any point colonising gas giants and asteroids without domed cities - or is it just an attrition modifier? i.e. are my people going to die?

- i tried to create new fleets and transfer in 1 ship to each but for some reason only 1 order worked... all fleets are there i used codes such as RN 102 107 pathfinder 1 pathfinder. This succeeded in moving 1 ship to 1 fleet but all the othe transfers failed?

course i made a mistake on my conversions but at least the maths would have been right if i'd been paying attention!

Hi guys,

well it went slightly better than i had thought but i've got a question on two areas :-)

- is there any point colonising gas giants and asteroids without domed cities - or is it just an attrition modifier? i.e. are my people going to die?

- i tried to create new fleets and transfer in 1 ship to each but for some reason only 1 order worked... all fleets are there i used codes such as RN 102 107 pathfinder 1 pathfinder. This succeeded in moving 1 ship to 1 fleet but all the othe transfers failed?

course i made a mistake on my conversions but at least the maths would have been right if i'd been paying attention!

Gas Giants and Asteroid Belts have sometimes some good resource values. Asteroids have no Atmosphere and are normally really cold (both are huge attrition modifiers). Gas Giants should normally have high gravity and high temperature (which are even bigger attrition modifiers).

You may be a real good coloniser, that you can live on an asteroid without domed colonies, but that is rather unlikely. You will be need them later when the population grew over a certain threshold.

Colonies sizes of up to 10 pop may survive in any environment.

I hope that helps.

It all depends on your lifeform. Gas Giants are usually off limits to just about everybody for large colonies, however, the good colonizers can get colonies of 100 or so to survive. Asteroids are ideal for my race that is also very cold as long as I build domed cities.

Sometimes very high attrition worlds may have some of the best resources. In those cases it may be beneficial to build a few smaller colonies rather than trying for a large one. You get a benefit if the rounding factor when the program calculates attrition and when your pop grow. Ideally you can get the ratios set up so you grow just as many as die due to attrition. There are several installations that can also help but they take some research to get.

:joker:

Hi guys,

On a setup, there are 8 pathfinders in fleet 101 and 1 in 102. Did you perhaps try to transfer the ships out of the wrong fleet?