Rolling Thunder Forums

Shipyard Slips

Clan Elder 'Keen

I have tried on several occasions, especially while being deployed/traveling, to go paperless with minimal success. I just haven't gotten a handle on how folks can do the necessary planning without paper. I would love to hear how others mange to do it successfully.

:thumbsup::cheers:

Well, I tell you my turn processing:

First I rust read through the turns to look if something unexpected or nice has happenend.

Then I convert and extract Popgroups, Stockpiles, Fleetpositions, PMAP, SS, SURV, GEO and COLB orders

to a database.

Then I generate starcharts from the database having the system linked up with the database, so they are "clickable".

Now I go through the pdf and update my research spreadsheet looking for "technology" getting the

EXPL results an breakthroughs.

If something got completed, I update my spreadsheet to put in what I want research next.

Then I start up the Imperial Palace and start inputing my orders:

Having open a browser with tabs of "Starchart", "Fleetlist", "Stockpiles", "Colonies", "Designs", "Itemlist", "Instlist" for reference and the PDF (on second monitor), I do my building stuff (with help of buildqueue).

Then I go either by the results of the fleets in the PDF and decide for what to do with them using the

"clickable" systemname in my fleetlist to see whats in the system or using SNFindPath to see whats near and unexplored. Sometimes I simply go down my fleetlist (oh it has a field which tells me what was the big plan for that fleet :cheers: ).

If I am only close over a 40 order block, I look what I can remove. If I am close to a next one, I fill up.

So having "electronic" places to jot down notes and having the lists available for "clicking" helps to be paperless.

But this is nothing for reading your turn in the sub on way to work ;)

Then I convert and extract Popgroups, Stockpiles, Fleetpositions, PMAP, SS, SURV, GEO and COLB orders

to a database.

So how do you extract PMAP and GEO information? I'm still entering that by hand.

You may not realize this, but that collective intake of air you might have heard when the question was asked was the the sound of collective bating of breath as an answer is awaited......

Well, I use my own perl-script to extract the info and put it into my own DB2 Database (its free for personal use!), but can be ported to any other DB thats has a Perl-DBI written for it.

First ASCII is extracted from the PDF and made more readable by a perl-script. Then another one

cuts out the Commands and stores them in separate files. Then the database-importer script parses these and puts them into the database. Simple as that :thumbsup:

All run on a Linux Box.

As I said somewhere else, I am giving away the scripts and Database schema, but I never ran these things on

a Windows box.

I gave them away once to one adept in computer science, but I have not heard anything since then :cheers:

For the ones interested:

Supernova tools

Be warned, its not a out of the box thingy.

Thanks for the download! I'll play around with it as soon as I get a chance.

I've had to start using mrtg at work recently. So at least I know what a Perl Script is. I mean, I know how to pronounce the words.

I forgot:

you need xpdf (cygwin or linux package) as well.

• 3 months later...

Any word on a fix for the display bug for quantity of Shipyard Slips?

Fixing it causes other issues in the report generator. I've considered adding a new report with just shipyard slips, but that would burn an entire page even if you only have a couple of pop groups with slips. I'll probably settle on adding a slip display at the bottom of the end turn adjustments section, in simple text, like the fleet listings.

Pete,

How is going with this issue?

:beer:

/Locklyn