Rolling Thunder Forums

Galactic Neighbour Map

Lord Deependra

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So that's just four people interested, and one of those doesn't even have any neighbours. I think we'd need a few more to make this work. :angry2:

Galactic Map? Or where do I go next invasion guide? Gonna need a little more re-assurance before I give up any data. There's enough problems with getting a new empire off the ground without worrying about that. :jawdrop:

So that's just four people interested, and one of those doesn't even have any neighbours. I think we'd need a few more to make this work. :angry2:

Galactic Map? Or where do I go next invasion guide? Gonna need a little more re-assurance before I give up any data. There's enough problems with getting a new empire off the ground without worrying about that. :jawdrop:

Well would be a little hard to plan your next invasion based off woh is next to who. just because player a and player b connect doesnt mean its going to be easy for player a to find where player b and c connect

Such a map is useful for empires that want to interact with other empires. Not useful to isolationist empires.

Are any of your neighbors inactive? This could help you find active neighbors to your inactive neighbors.

Are you having a problem with one of your neighbors? This could help you find other empires that may also have problems with the same neighbor.

Here is my observation: There are many players willing to join groups and discuss things through email and on this board. But there are very few empires willing to break out of their isolationist shells.

I have such a map that spans from the core to positions as young as a year. It is invaluable, but is not something I would ever post outside of a select few circles.

Knowing who is on the other side of a neutral neighbor can be very valuable information indeed.

Knowing that 3-4 empires all have contact with an empire starts to give one a very good basis for triangulation. Once that starts then the more aggressive types start looking to divide and conquer.

Good luck though. It is well worthwhile if you can get enough information to make it relevant.

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

These things start out with just a couple of positions and then grow. Give it time and it will pay off in the end.

I have such a map that spans from the core to positions as young as a year. It is invaluable, but is not something I would ever post outside of a select few circles.

Knowing who is on the other side of a neutral neighbor can be very valuable information indeed.

Knowing that 3-4 empires all have contact with an empire starts to give one a very good basis for triangulation. Once that starts then the more aggressive types start looking to divide and conquer.

Good luck though. It is well worthwhile if you can get enough information to make it relevant.

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

These things start out with just a couple of positions and then grow. Give it time and it will pay off in the end.

Oh, its useful. I already know a couple of dozen empires in my local cluster.

I'm not saying Galactic maps aren't useful. Back in the X-Y-Z days of SN, they were invaluable, but were still primarily used for campaign planning and data was shared primarily between empires with common interests or ones that had no possibility of contact due to distance.

Sargon & Hobknob are both correct, but there's trust issue that can only be addressed direct contact with the other empires [read:diplomacy]. I've been ambushed before!

You want to share data? Then let's 1st find some common ground. Need the planets I can't use? Fine. Want to eliminate the 'Federation of Mindless Babblers'? Probably count me in. Want all of my warp point locations without a Quo for my Quid? Not hardly!

I'm not saying Galactic maps aren't useful. Back in the X-Y-Z days of SN, they were invaluable, but were still primarily used for campaign planning and data was shared primarily between empires with common interests or ones that had no possibility of contact due to distance.

Sargon & Hobknob are both correct, but there's trust issue that can only be addressed direct contact with the other empires [read:diplomacy]. I've been ambushed before!

You want to share data? Then let's 1st find some common ground. Need the planets I can't use? Fine. Want to eliminate the 'Federation of Mindless Babblers'? Probably count me in. Want all of my warp point locations without a Quo for my Quid? Not hardly!

I wasn't after warp point data (or system names, for that matter), but if you are willing to trade, we could talk... :woohoo:

From what I can gather Lord Deependra is trying to do something similar to the Galactic Directory. The only information it would present would be which empires have meet one another.

Yes that is a major advantage when your planning war upon someone, by being able to tell what other people may get involved, but it won't be much of an advantage since from what I can gather you can not tell if the other mention empires are active, or where the empire in questions homeworld, colonys and battle fleets are located. :woohoo:

So in a vague attempt to get this idea moving here is one of the Third Silen Imperium #185 neighbours.

Parrots of the Carribean # 1870

At the moment there are two more, but due to my general laziness I can't find there details at the moment, so will post when I do. :woohoo:

Sir Smeg :woohoo:

Alright. Lets see how much of a map we can create. Anyone who wants to contribute can send me an e-mail. For each of your empires you want included, list every empire it has met. Any dropped start-ups you have found don't need to be listed but dropped empires that covered some territory should be. Once I have a reasonable amount of data, I will compile a map and e-mail it to each of the contributors.

e-mail address: scottv@powerup.com.au

GraphViz would be perfect for this project, if you don't already have it.

I had a look at that when I first started but I couldn't really get the hang of it. I will be using Excel to record the relative postions of the empires. It works pretty well for system maps and the empire map will be a lot simpler.