Rolling Thunder Forums

RTG Question/Clarification Please

Jodookus

I know this is taking this thread a little off topic but if people are feeling in a generous mood when it comes to tech.... any chance of confirming the pre-req's for Advanced Industrial complexes?

I've searched the forum and I know its been a sensitive subject...... I have a pretty good idea as I have Improved Industrial complexes but just want to be sure......

I thought it was worth a shot :}

Go on..... Gate techs out there now, what would be the harm....... go on.... go on.... go on..... :]

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a good use for all those Primitive Artworks.

EXCELLENT!

Just keep sending them through repeatedly, until there are none left!

TErnest

(Can you tell that what I really want to see in the game is a Mk I Incinerator?)

I'm still holding out for some kind of recycling technology; primitive recycling technology at that. Something that I can dump unwanted materials (e.g. Mineral Fertilizers, Improved Fuel, etc.) into and get Raw Resources out of. Even at a 10:1 turn down, I think it would be worth it. As long as they worked like Industrial Centers, which is to say that the Recycling Centers wouldn't require Power to operate.

YMMV,

-SK :python:

I know this is taking this thread a little off topic but if people are feeling in a generous mood when it comes to tech.... any chance of confirming the pre-req's for Advanced Industrial complexes?

I've searched the forum and I know its been a sensitive subject...... I have a pretty good idea as I have Improved Industrial complexes but just want to be sure......

I thought it was worth a shot :}

Go on..... Gate techs out there now, what would be the harm....... go on.... go on.... go on..... :]

If you have Improved Industrial Centers, I think you probably have a pretty good idea of what Advanced Industrial Centers will require, yes? <_<

FWIW,

-SK :woohoo:

From what I understand the galaxy is setup the same as SN I. IE with X,Y and Z coordinates. Z is the thickness of the galaxy, and is a small number X and Y are the bigs. So 0,0,0 is the center of the galaxy, and I of course am located there.

So from me 10,0,0 would be 10 distance.

Now the warp points, were generated to completely ignore the actual look of the galaxy, IE a Star connected to my home system could be 0.0.1, or they could be 110,90,5. (BTW the galaxy is HUGE)(How do i know this, well in SN I, I recall 210,190,5 being used, but not 300, however there were I think 6 or 8 games setup, due to number of players. In SN Rote, there is one huge galaxy and I have never found a Newbie, or even a year newer position, with my empires, and still new empires are being added without running out of room.)

As for the letter IE, B, G, whatever, giving an estimate of distance, it might for stars one warp apart, but I have not tested this. But for stars Two apart, there is a problem, IE, what direction did the second warp take you?

As for the letter IE, B, G, whatever, giving an estimate of distance, it might for stars one warp apart, but I have not tested this...

Warp class and/or size don't seem to be much of an indicator of distance from one star to another. It's not unusual to have a route from Star A to Star B go thorugh an A class WP with a size of 48 and the route from Star B back to Star A go through an E class WP with a size of 12.

I even had a system where two WP went to the same system! One was an F the other a C.

As for the letter IE, B, G, whatever, giving an estimate of distance, it might for stars one warp apart, but I have not tested this...

Warp class and/or size don't seem to be much of an indicator of distance from one star to another. It's not unusual to have a route from Star A to Star B go thorugh an A class WP with a size of 48 and the route from Star B back to Star A go through an E class WP with a size of 12.

Pete,

Have asked this is email to you with no luck as of yet but since the thread has shown more people to be interested in this please answer this:

Since the recent change in wormholes, what size are wormholes considered to be for the purpose of wormhole assaults?

I still think this is a bad and illogical change, you should be required to hold control of the installations to use the wormhole.

/Locklyn

Pete,

Have asked this is email to you with no luck as of yet but since the thread has shown more people to be interested in this please answer this:

Since the recent change in wormholes, what size are wormholes considered to be for the purpose of wormhole assaults?

I still think this is a bad and illogical change, you should be required to hold control of the installations to use the wormhole.

/Locklyn

I asked a similar question (verbally, the phone seems to be more effective) and Pete directly said that wormholes have no size restrictions. Supposedly if an opponent has 10,000 screens and a large ship or two, using a wormhole brings ALL ships in on the very first round. Warp Bubble size plays no role.

But it would be good to see Pete post that same answer here in public so everyone can see it directly 'from the horse's mouth'.

If that is so then it really makes no sense whatsoever that the enemy could magically move through wormholes whether they had control of the installations or not...

"Oi Garblatt, There is a trillion warglobes heading through the wormhole chain towards the home world."

"Tolke, not much we can do about that since this installation only came with this "OPEN" button and no close button for the wormholes..."

*sigh* balanced?

/Locklyn

I agree. If you own a wormhole generator, then there should be no way for the enemy to use it UNLESS they take control of the pop group it's located in. Period.

But, once you take control of the pop group, I can see some rationale that would say it's an installation similiar to an AIC or ASM located in a popgroup you take over. If you can run an AIC or ASM without developing the tech, then you should be able to run the wormhole generator you just captured.

But maybe there's something in the coding that prevent's Pete from 'banning' unauthorized (aka: non-ally) fleets from using a WHG?? I can't see how that would be true since all you'd have to do before allowing a WARP to process while at an orbit is to check the ally status. Anything other than Total Ally and the WARP gets rejected. Seems simple enough from the outside.

If that is so then it really makes no sense whatsoever that the enemy could magically move through wormholes whether they had control of the installations or not...

"Oi Garblatt, There is a trillion warglobes heading through the wormhole chain towards the home world."

"Tolke, not much we can do about that since this installation only came with this "OPEN" button and no close button for the wormholes..."

*sigh* balanced?

/Locklyn

Personally, when I first heard of this rules change, my assessment was that it would, indeed, make the game more interesting.

However, in the interest of full disclosure:

PERSPECTIVE IS EVERYTHING!

I do not have the perspective of one who has sunk considerable resources into a network of Stable Wormhole Generators. :woohoo:

In point of fact, I have the perspective on one who hopes to exploit an enemy's network of Wormholes. :python:

So, there you have it!

TErnest

From the sounds of it, people are imagining stable wormholes as being like Stargates . Perhaps they are more like giant rips in space-time. The generator uses a massive burst of power to rip open a wormhole which is then out of its control. The rip slowly seals itself so another burst of energy has to be applied next turn to re-open it. When an enemy fleet appears, there is a jagged tear in space leading to another system, and the techs manning the generator on the planet can't do anything about it.